Anyone received their Portenzo w/Intellistand yet?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by ReallyBigFeet, Apr 1, 2012.

1. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Looking for some forum user reviews if so, particularly with the new iPad.

I had one of these for a short time last year on one of my iPad 2's, but the wood frame started warping so I sent it back for a refund...this after only about a week of use.

Hoping the near-full wood back for the Intellistand design remedies the warping issue but haven't seen any real-world users of this case yet.

Please post your review if you have one.

2. Sterne macrumors member

I received my new Portenzo case with Intellistand on Friday, 2 days ago. No warpage yet. The case is beautiful - I used a Portenzo case with my original iPad for 2 years. The first one warped, but the replacement did not. The new case shows several design changes that should make warpage less likely - maple instead of bamboo, thicker wood (makes the case a little bigger and heavier, so not an unqualified advantage), and the Intellistand is a more substantial frame.

The bond leather cover looks and smells like top grain leather but is not ad thick or soft.

The intellistand and magnetic covers work just as advertised.

I really like Portenzo - reasonable price for the quality, lots of options, and a product that looks and works great for years.

They can be slow, and their online order tracker is a farce - but the customer service folks are helpful (use the chat).

Steven

3. Deep house guy macrumors newbie

Hi there. I'm waiting for my case to arrive on Thursday. I ordered the wine red teju with intellistand and without the stylus compartment. I plan on doing an unboxing/review and a second review after a few months of use. I agree, not much out there at the moment.

4. MajorTCS macrumors regular

I am waiting impatiently for mine. 10 days and counting. I agree with the op, the mega tracker is a farce. Will hopefully report back SOON.

5. kschles macrumors regular

kschles

I've got a Portenzo with the intellistand. The new stand works very well, and really adds to the functionality of the case. Overall, it's a beautiful case, and very light. The one thing I have a problem with is the "secret power button." There is no cut-out on the frame for the on/off button. You are supposed to be able to activate this feature by pressing on the top right corner of the Ipad while it's in the case. Doesn't work very well for me (others have reported problems as well). Portenzo has stated they made this design change to strengthen the case frame, which I can see. If you leave your Ipad on most of the time, maybe it won't be an issue for you. I tend to not use my Portenzo that much because of this problem.

6. Deep house guy macrumors newbie

Few days into use of my case...

As promised, here are a few of my thoughts since using my Portenzo for a few days.

1. I absolutely love the intellistand option! In fact, I can't imagine not having this feature as I use it all the time.

2. I've had better luck with the secret power button. Not always right away, but definitely easy enough for me.

3. I ordered both the strap and magna grip options. The magna grip DOES NOT WORK on mine, even though there is "magnetic" properties to cover. The case simply pops up if the strap is not in place. I'm emailing them about this, since I paid for it...

Overall, I think it truly is a BEAUTIFUL handcrafted case! Wait till you get a look at the wood frame... stunning! I would say get the stand option as I think it adds more durability to the case as a whole.

Hope that helped!

7. michaelsaxon macrumors 6502

Video review here:

http://netreviewshq.com/reviews/2012/4/22/portenzo-bookcase-for-the-new-ipad.html

8. ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

would it be possible to ask you how much it weighs (with ipad and with out)?
    it looks thick so I thought it would be heavy.

9. sidney6653 macrumors newbie

30 days wait so far for new Portenzo case!!

Just wondering if others who have ordered the Portenzo Ipad 3 case have had similar experiences with excessive wait times. I'm at 30 days and counting, and it still hasn't entered their Megatracker Production Process. I've contacted customer service twice, and both times have been told that it was "in the production room and waiting for a bookmaker to get it started." They also said that normal wait times are 7 to 15 days, but they are currently experiencing backlogs due to the new Ipad launch of 19 to 24 days (I'm already at 30 and it still hasn't been started yet). I've heard of the outstanding quality of this cover, so am willing to cut some slack, but starting to wonder if it will ever get made. Anyone else experience similar delays and responses? Thanks,

10. MajorTCS macrumors regular

Yes. I posted above. Monday will be 30 days. I have the same experience with the infamous Mega Tracker. I am trying to forget about the wait. hope it is worth it.

11. kschles macrumors regular

kschles

It's not heavy at all. As I recall, there was a thread around with case weights, and the Portenzo weighs in the 9 - 9.5 ounce range. Tried to find the thread but couldn't.

For those discussing wait times, the wait times for the Ipad 2 case deliveries right after the Ipad came out were notorious. Portenzo is a small company, and was obviously overwhelmed. Eventually things calmed down and wait times became more reasonable. Right now, you have to expect deliveries to take awhile.

12. TeaClub macrumors newbie

People should be very wary of ordering a case from Portenzo. They have made a total mess of my order, and lied to me in the process.
    I placed an order for an iPad case on August 3rd. I opted for USPS 7-21 business days international delivery. After 12 days, although their "Mega Tracker" listed my type of case as ON TIME, it was still not listed as having shipped. So I mailed customer service to ask what was happening. I was told:
    "It's difficult to give an exact shipping date for an entirely handmade product. There are just too many variables involving quality control", which was very worrying, and also
    "I know you're excited", a statement which I found condescending and, by that point, absolutely not true!
    When I replied pointing out that this kind of unspecified wait was not what I had been led to expect when I bought the case, the response was polite and candid, admitting that although they had recently increased their workforce, they were over stretched. They said my case would be sent out that day and they would upgrade the delivery to FedEx 2-5 day by way of apology. I was very happy with their openness and token of apology. Little did I know that my problems were far from over.
    That day I received an email from Portenzo saying my case had been shipped with USPS (not FedEx) and would be with me in 2-5 days. The tracking link on the email didn't work, which I thought was odd, but I was looking forward to the case arriving. However, three days later I got another email from Portenzo, saying that my case had been shipped on that day! The link on that email also didn't work.
    I mailed customer service again to ask what was going on, and their reply was:
    "I'm really not sure why you received another tracking number. Terribly sorry for the confusion."
    As business hours ended on the 6th day after I was first told the case had shipped, I mailed customer services yet again, to give them a chance to explain themselves before I drew any conclusions. They stated that "We shipped your case on 8/17 however USPS did not start moving your package until 8/21." and they refunded my shipping costs (around $15).
    I told them that due to the large amount of mistakes and a possibly false shipping email, I didn't feel at all satisfied by the situation. They replied:
    "That was our mistake because we said we would ship it that way for you; however we have taken care of you by refunding your entire shipping cost". If this is being taken care of, no thank you. By the time the case arrives (if it arrives), it will have taken longer to arrive than I was led to believe when I originally opted for 7-21 day delivery. In addition I have had to enquire as to the state of my order at every step of the way, only through contacting them personally, could I receive any information on my order. And even then ithe response was usually vague, sometimes patronizing, and occasionally untrue.
    This company appears to have an excess of self confidence, coupled with very poor business practices. If you are keen to have a Portenzo case, I would recommend buying one from Amazon, a company with an excellent track record in on time delivery and customer service.
    Alternatively, you could try choosing a small start up company which is actually worthy of your money.

13. glen e macrumors 68030

14. TeaClub macrumors newbie

Warpage? I hadn't even considered that yet. At the moment I'd settle for a bit of prompt delivery as described and some honest business practices.I've had neither.

15. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I am a Portenzo fan, and received my Wingtip with Intellistand a week ago. This is my second Portenzo. For the iPad 1, I had a black Alano that was my go-to case out of all the other cases I had.

To be honest, I doubt that I will be using this case for the iPad 3. I miss the bamboo of the original frame--the color had the effect of paper in a notebook. The new wood frame is actually thicker than the old one, so the case seems to dwarf the iPad 3. Just be advised that the total thickness of this case is about 7/8 of an inch (mine was, anyway). It is very light, however. The Intellistand feature is a very nice idea.

As an alternative, I really like my BookBook, and use it when I want maximum protection (traveling).