iPhone 7(+) Anyone recently bought an Iphone 7?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nakedpenguin, Apr 20, 2018.

1. nakedpenguin macrumors newbie

nakedpenguin

Thinking of getting an Iphone 7. Anyone recently bought one? Happy with it?

Just not a fan of glass cover and that notch..

2. natandste macrumors member

I would be worried if the iPhone 7 WASN'T still a top notch phone.
    In which case...yes it's still a great phone to go for instead of an 8

3. lugworm macrumors 6502

lugworm

Got mine last month. Nice, fast, smooth...BUT....I haven't installed 11.3 on it !
    To many reports of bugs etc for me to take the chance. Shame the software can't match the hardware.

4. nakedpenguin thread starter macrumors newbie

nakedpenguin

Cool!

yeah installing 11.3 is a pretty adventurous thing to do :)
    --- Post Merged, Apr 20, 2018 ---
    Top notch ok... But that notch on the top, I don't like it

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

For the price point, The iPhone 7 compared to the iPhone 8, they’re very similar and I think iPhone 7 would be the better by if somebody was on a lower budget and didn’t need all the lastest specifications.

6. nakedpenguin thread starter macrumors newbie

nakedpenguin

I guess we could get 4 more years of updates out of the 7?

7. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

I purchased the iPhone 5 w/ 16 GB back in 2013. And I just replaced it with an iPhone 7 with 256 GB in January of this year.

Honestly, the iPhone 5 was still serving me quite well. And I was still happy with it. Sure tech wise it was old. Sure, spec wise it was slow. But honestly I couldn’t find a complaint.

The only concern I had was Apple abandoning 32-BIT apps. But I quickly learned that it didn’t seem to affect me. I’m not the type that gets a lot of new apps. And everything was still working fine.

I made the upgrade for one reason. My iPod Classic got stolen. And the price to replace it put me in the realm of a newer phone. And considering that, I felt it made more sense to upgrade to a phone that had the space for all my music. Which is also more convenient. I now only have one device to keep track of.

So... I say all that to say two things. If you don’t fall victim to hype and upgrade fever, a phone will serve you fine for years past it’s intended obsolescence. And do so just fine.

Second, the iPhone 7 was a better price as a restocked (previously returned to my carrier) unit than any other currently available phone. I got the 256 GB iPhone 7 cheaper than a 32 GB iPhone SE, cheaper than a refurb iPhone 6s, and cheaper than the lowest capacity iPhone 8.

And my iPhone 7 has been operating great on every update I’ve performed since purchasing it. I currently have it on the latest iOS version 11.3. Absolutely no complaints. In fact, I actually saw one improvement in performance. In my experience, I’ve observed significant stutter in iOS on both my iPhone 5 (since iOS 7) and the iPhone 7 in iOS 10 and up, when you went to the Setting —> Cellular screen, and scrolled through the list of apps and their data usage.

However, with the iOS 11.3 update, this laggy screen was suddenly smooth as butter. Just like every other screen had always been on every other iOS version I’d used.

So I can say from my experience, that the only area I’ve ever observed lag on an iPhone (since iOS 7) was finally fixed (for me) in iOS 11.3.

Obviously I can’t speak for everyone else. But I can say that in my personal experience, I found no performance issues with my old iPhone 5. It put in a great life. And I’d be just as happy to use it today. It now sits as a spare if ever needed.

The iPhone 7, my only complaint is that it’s bigger than my 5 was. But I got it cheaper than an SE and with greater capacity. So I adapt.

Performance wise, no complaints. The only lag I ever saw was present since iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 on the same setting screen. And iOS 11.3 fixed it for me.

For anyone who may chime in and say the one laggy screen never existed. I don’t know about anyone else. I never asked. How much time does anyone spend on that one setting page? For me once a month. Wasn’t enough to care. So I never checked if that was common for others. But I have also never done a factory fresh setup either. I’ve always restored from prior phones.

My iPhone 5 was restored from my iPhone (original first model predating the 3).

My iPhone 7 was setup immediately from a full backup of my iPhone 5 which was then running iOS 10.x whatever the final iOS was for the 5.

So yes, you could technically say that I am running with everything carried over from 2007 to now.

And I’d say I’ve gotten pretty good life from what I’ve had.

I certainly am not worried about how far my iPhone 7 will go. If you’ve followed the clues in my response, I’m expecting it’s going to serve me for a long time. And it will likely still be serving me just fine after Apple pulls the plug on supporting 64-BIT apps (which should be a while away).

I’d say don’t worry about the difference between the 7 and the newer models... unless you are the type to worry about or desire the latest of everything.

I, however, am still happy with my 2006 Mac Pro. So perhaps that tells you how much I obsess on having the latest specs. And yes, that is my newest computer at the moment.

8. Falhófnir macrumors 68030

Falhófnir

Well rumour is the 5s is getting iOS 12, so unless they drop the A7 and A8s together (iPhone 5s and 6) iOS 15 will be the final version for the 7 running through late 2022!

9. harleymhs macrumors 6502

Picked up 7 Plus Jet Black 256GB and LOVE it! Camera is amazing ( went to France for 2 weeks ) took every photo with my Iphone 7 Plus and they were amazing! Phone is Fast , Display Perfect .. Didn't need wireless charging and Still loving my 7+ the Jet Black is Stealth.

10. forestinjersey macrumors member

forestinjersey

I have a White 32GB 7 on loan from work. Its bullet proof on iOS 11.3, only gripe os battery life but I am sure that is my usage.

Getting the 8 when my contract expires in July

11. praterkeith macrumors 6502

praterkeith

I bought the 7 four months ago and haven’t had any issues.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

There is No expectation or guarantee of how long any iPhone will have iOS updates, but I am willing to believe there is Approximately see at least three years, possibly four years of updates. Regardless, the real question should not be how many years of updates, but how does the iPhone 7 react to those updates given the changes with iOS over the years.

13. natandste macrumors member

No I get what u mean was just a figure of speech
    My husband has the 7 plus my son the 7 still great phones

14. natandste macrumors member

Ios 11.3 has been giving me a lot better battery
    Not came across any bugs so far...

15. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

That’s been my experience too. I haven’t found any problems with iOS 11.3.