Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
Hi there, looking to get an external flash as I find the built in one a bit hit or miss. I have a Vivitar 283 which in theory should not fry the camera but am not brave/daft enough to risk it. I was always happy with how the 283 performed with my Pentax ME Super, so am looking for similar performance.
Other than Pentax flashes, which seem expensive I have looked Sigma EF 530 DG ST and Super. Any other flashes worth looking at?
Have used a Jessop 300 AFD flash (I think) with a Canon SLR at work which seems OK but it drains the batteries when not being used.
Just looking to take some well lit family snapshots so would prefer not to spend too much.

Thanks
afd

jpfisher

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2006
New Jersey
I wouldn't risk the Vivitar-- if it's of the vintage of an ME Super, it could fry the K10D.

I use a Metz 48-- it's the lower end of the two Metz P-TTL flashes. It can operate wirelessly (using the K10's pop-up flash as a trigger). The head tilts and swivels.

The wireless operation requires a line-of-sight between the K10's flash and the Metz's light sensor-- there is a menu setting on the K10 to make it so the popup flash does not affect exposure.

The Metz 58 is a more powerful version of the 48, and it can act as a wireless master via RF (I believe-- double check me on this one, please), so it might be a good choice if you see yourself using off-camera slave strobes.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

gusthecat

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2007
Canuckistan
What about...

...an nice, gently used AF360FGZ for $150USD?

You can pick one up from http://www.keh.com for a good deal.

I have one for my istDS and love it. The only thing I miss is the swivel. (It is bounce only). The infra red AF assist is awesome.

Thanks,

GusTheCat

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.