Anyone recommend a good usb hub for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scariaga, Oct 29, 2009.

1. scariaga macrumors regular

I just purchased a Kensington Pocket Hub 7 port USB and it's not cutting it. I do a lot of audio production and I use a couple different audio interfaces that I need to use via usb. The hub doesn't appear to handle the data transfer on the audio interfaces. I get constant clipping. Also my glyph 500 external HD doesn't even come up on my desk top through this USB hub. The hub is supposed to be able to do usb 2.0 but doesn't seem to be living up to it's word. Anybody on here have a better recommendation? I only spent about $30 on this hub and realize that maybe that wasn't enough to get a quality product. Any help would be much appreciated :)

Sebastian

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I have had no problems with my DLink 7 Port Hub.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I use the kensington 4 port hub and it works fine for everything i've thrown at it. It is powered and that'll make a difference in performance.

4. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

yeah the one I bought is powered too, I'm not sure why its having problems keeping up. Is it possible that the devices I have are beyond usb 2.0? Highly unlikely as the audio interface I have is about 5 years old (Mbox). Also why would an external HD not show up?

5. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

6. m85476585 macrumors 65816

How many devices are you using at once? USB is not good at realtime transfer with more than one device per bus. All the devices have to share the speed of the single USB port that the hub is plugged into. If possible, plug a 4-port hub into each USB port instead of using a single 7-port hub. As long as a hub is powered, USB2 compatible, and from a decent manufacturer, they will all work essentially the same.

Also, make sure your cables are USB2 compatible. I have one unmarked cable, and if I plug my EyeTV tuner into it I get a scrambled picture (or no picture) and choppy audio. Plugging it directly into the computer works just fine. I haven't tried any other cables with it.

If you have an expresscard slot, you can get a USB card for it, and there is actually a 3rd USB port inside the expresscard slot that doesn't share time with the other ports (I think).

7. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

yeah you could have a point. The thing is that the whole reason I got this hub was so I could minimize the number of plugs I have to plug into my MBP every time I reconnect. Was trying to just have on USB plug to plug in. I guess it's probably not possible to have such a set up.

8. Makaveli6103 macrumors 6502