Anyone Recommend the Western Digital MyBook HD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Caitlyn, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

The title pretty much speaks for itself. What do you think? Anyone out there think they are reliable and won't crash on me? I have a hard time trusting external hard drives after a major crash last year. And I'd really prefer not to make my own, so if you wouldn't recommend the MyBook, what would you recommend? I've heard Lacie isn't so great because you never know what drives they put in those things.

Thoughts?
    Thank you! :)

2. krunk macrumors regular

I have heard bad reliability and noise reports from people on these. However, I've heard good things about the OneTouch III's.

3. Caitlyn thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Macheath_Messer macrumors member

I have a 250 GB USB "Essential"

I've had mine for over a year now, and it's been dependable so far. I've used it to back up files from my iBook G4, and while it's not the fastest drive around, it has done its job for me.

I do wish I had paid more money to get a model with the Firewire 400/800/USB 2.0 interface, however. A cheap sale price overshadowed my ability to realize I have only 2 USB ports which are always being used, and there was a Firewire port just sitting there, waitin' for something to do. :rolleyes:

Good luck on your purchase, whatever it ends up being. :)

FWIW

5. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

I have a WD MyBook Pro 500GB, so far it hasn't crashed on me, or misbehaved in any way. In fact, I'm very happy with it. It is fast and reasonably quiet, but a single drive is a pretty small sample to base any recommendations on...

When it comes to hard drives though, external as well as internal ones, only one thing is certain - they WILL crash on us. It is only a matter of time...

6. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

7. rev316 macrumors regular

8. krunk macrumors regular

Yep, OneTouch is Maxtor. I would emphasize "I've heard from people". This is just personal testimony and shouldn't be taken as some declaration of unwavering fact. :D

9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

We have a 1TB Western Digital "MyBook", and boy is it LOUD! The fan will kick in for long periods of time when it's not being used at all. A real acoustic annoyance in my ever-so-humble opinion...

10. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

The 1TB is really 2x500GB, isn't it? Two drives in a tight case strikes me as a really bad idea when it comes to acoustics and temperature.

11. krunk macrumors regular

In contrast, my coworker has a OneTouch III 1TB (2x 500gb) sitting on his desk. We bought it due to personal testimony about MyBook noise much like the poster above.

The Maxtor has been very quit so far (just got it in on friday, so we'll see if it stays that way)

12. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I've had Seagate, Maxtor and LaCie crap out on me in the past 5 years. If my current MyBook works out (I've only had it for 5 months), I'm sticking with WD for life.

13. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Its not too bad, I have alot of externals, including this one, but I have never had any problems with any of them except with an iomega messing up files when transferring back and forth from mac to pc.

14. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

We use a 320GB drive as a backup for two systems, but I only have it on when necessary as it's pretty loud and makes the desks vibrate.

15. weckart macrumors 68040

I have the WD 500GB and do not have a problem with acoustics. I do like the functionality of the drive with the spin down button. However, bear in mind that this is a sealed unit and you cannot "upgrade" this with a larger drive when they become affordable without breaking the unit.

Pretty much all hard drives these days are regarded as "consumables" with a livespan of about one year, since advances in HD technology coupled with broadband speeds has led to swift capacity increases encouraging people to swap out their disks almost on an annual basis to accommodate their ever-burgeoning P2P collections. You pay quite a bit extra for server quality drives with 3-5 year guarantees.

I do not throw my hands up in the air when a HD fails prematurely, as this is what the market is these days. You need to factor this in and take back up precautions correspondingly. It makes little difference whether the HD is Maxtor, Seagate or Hitachi etc. They are much of a muchness when it comes to longevity.

Where I worry, and this is why I discourage purchases of LaCie, is in the design of their cases, which are bound to lead to either HD or port failures.

16. ansalmo macrumors regular

I have a pair of 250GB MyBooks that I've been running in RAID-1 over Firewire for (probably) over a year. No problems.

17. L3X macrumors 6502a

my brother has one of these and loves it.

FW 800 is roughly twice as fast as 400. From Wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewire_800#FireWire_800_.28IEEE_1394b.29

18. Flobber88 macrumors regular

I have the 500gb My Book Pro. So far has it has been running great, and no noise or vibrations I would think to be out of the ordinary. Also matches the MBP.

19. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I've had the 500 GB MyBook (the black one with usb + FW400) for about a week now. I've been running it reasonably hard so far, and have no complaints. It's fast, reasonably quiet, and I don't really think about it at all, which is the highest complement you can give to any behind-the-scenes hardware.

After a week of using it I can pretty confidently recommend it.

p.s. remember that, as with all hard drives, the useable formatted size is actually about 465 GB, not 500 GB. I say that because after transferring most of my stuff onto it, I now only have 96 GB left, and shrinking! Now I'm thinking maybe I shoulda gone with the 750 GB MyBook.

20. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

21. Gandhi macrumors regular

I just purchased the MyBook Pro 500 version and it just shipped today. PriceGrabber had pretty good reviews. My main reasons to pick it over others was FW800 and looks that matched the MBP. And the price is pretty good over at BuyDig.com.

Only advice I can give for better life is to not move the drive when the discs are spinning.