Anyone regret buying low end 15?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hogsrul, Feb 28, 2011.

1. hogsrul macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

With all the negativity about the gpu??

I'm hoping I didnt make a mistake when I bought it yesterday.

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

If you're having buyers remorse just 1 day after your purchase, you ought to take it back and get the high end model. Otherwise you'll be left wondering for the whole lifetime of the machine whether you should have just spent that bit more.

3. Tamasi macrumors member

No man, don't worry, be happy, you're getting a great computer anyway!! If you chose the 'not-highest-end', you're probably not a real gamer anyway, and in that case you're computer will more than suffice! Think of all those recent benchmark charts that show that 2011's lowest end even beats 2010's highest end!

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Does it do what you need it do? If the performance is fine for your needs, ignore the negative stuff and be content with your purchase. If you think its not handling the work you throw at it, in a manner that you expect. Return it, and get a different model

5. hogsrul thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks guys. Im not a gamer and oddly like I did a thorough job in researching the one I want. Anytime you spend $1900 and change on something you just always wonder ya know? Anyway i am excited about it and can't wait to unbox my quad core!!

6. Whitelightning macrumors regular

Not being a gamer, no worries about it... for me there is bigger issue. What if taking out of the MBP and using it shows major glare from glossy and get the "regret" of not going with the anti-glare.... that is a worse situation to me.

7. Rob9874 macrumors 6502

I have the "low-end" 15" and am very happy with it. Just because there's something better doesn't mean you should have buyer's remorse with this one. Benchmarks show that this faster than any laptop Apple has made before this year. Don't fret because it could be faster. If I was going to play games on it, I might have wanted the faster GPU.

8. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Here you 6490 people are! Too bad you're not gamers, I'm curious as to how WoW and SC2 would run on them at full resolution.. not worried about any more hardcore games.

9. the_ref macrumors newbie

I bought the 15" low end, (despite some research). I thought it would be more than enough for games anyway. (need laptop as I travel quite a lot, and would be good to play stuff while in hotel room).

I just figured it wasn't worth the extra £250, or whatever it was (got a 10% employee discount)

After more and more reading on the forum, and checking out specs of some games, it looked like 256Mb on the Graphics card was the current minimum spec for a CoD type game.

Given that it's a lot of cash, and I really only want to buy a computer this price every 3 years, I decided it was worth getting the high end so at least the graphics card would give me some future proofing for the next couple of years.

So cancelled low end order, and bought high end.

Am sure low end would've been enough, but felt that I could be kicking myself this time next year, so was worth it.

If you're not a gamer - don't think it's worth worrying about...

10. gox81 macrumors member

gox81

0 regrets, but maybe that's because this is my first Apple computer lol,

Actually, I'm happier that the 'low end' 15' can't handle games better, otherwise I'd probably waste my time away gaming..:p

Even though the high end graph card is much better, you gotta compromise,
    especially as a student.

I just need the gpu for 3rd drawing and this model will do that just fine.

Now I can spend the saved money on ram upgrade and/or a graphic tablet..:D

11. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I had a glossy MBP for the past three years (2008 Unibody) and hated it. I never got used to the "mirror". I just purchased a 15" 2.3Ghz Quad core, hi-res anti-glare and love it (especially the display). My personal opinion is it has much better colors and I can focus on the screen content rather than looking at myself all day. I was constantly adjusting the screen on the glossy to reduce the bad reflections. The only time I enjoyed the glossy was in a dark room, which I almost never had the opportunity (or desire) to do.

12. ozred macrumors 6502

Shiny toys sell. That's why Apple makes their glossy displays ultra shiny, and just as reflective as a mirror.

If you bought yours to play with, it's a great toy.

I bought mine for work and I only use antiglare.

At one point some time ago Apple quit offering anti-glare and only made glossy, so as to attempt to maximize profit & it didn't stay that way for long.

They lost sales to professionals that would not buy a toy with a glossy screen. So they began offering what was once standard.

They also took that opportunity to charge an additional $50 for what was originally a no cost standard display.

Apple gets their thrills screwing over customers.

If you have not received yours yet, you can easily change your order.

I'm sure plenty will say glossy is far superior, most have nothing to compare to.

13. Bobby Corwen, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

With the huge difference in GPUs for the low/high end 15, is this the year of the 17?

I think the 17 would be a good buy this year.

14. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

First, if anyone regrets getting the low end, let me know--I'd be happy to swap my new 13" 2.3 for it. ;)

Second--to the person asking about the 17"--the downsides are size, weight, and thus portability. You might be better off getting a 15" and an external display for $100-200. Best of both worlds.

Third--I have no idea why people are whining about graphics performance on the 13" or base 15" models. If you want a toy, go get a Xbox 360/PS3/Wii/some PC piece of garbage.