Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
I'm really confused here. If people are playing MWF2 on high settings and some others are playing Black Ops on the Air just fine then why are some people saying they don't get great performance with these games on a MBP Core i (5 or 7) with the 330GPU that is better than the 320?
:confused:

The 15 inch and 17 mbp have much higher res screens and they're probably trying to run it with maxed out settings. ANY recent apple product that doesn't use craptastic intel graphics will be able to run black ops at 1024 resolution with no AA and low detail settings. It's trying to run it high res + all the eye candy is where the lower specced systems will be brought to their knees. Also if you're going to page out a lot along with a filled up SSD on your 2gb machines get the AppleCare. Anands latest article shows that the toshiba controller on our SSDs has much more wear and tear due to the aggressive garbage collection.

double329

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
personally, I think the MBA with 2GB RAM is fine. I try to do a lot of stuff at the Apple store on the 2GB base model. It seems to handle I thew at it just fine. Even if the swap disc kick in, keep in mind that the swap disc is super fast SSD. So it is mostly not noticeable. Knowing that, I went with 4GB model any way. Mainly I want it max out. Not because the 2GB is not capable of.

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2008
So which apple store didn't charge you the restocking fee? Because that should've erased the $100 you saved.

If all you're ever going to do is use it like an iPad or word processing than the 2gb is good. If it's going to be your main rig for the next couple years then get the 4gb.

it was a bto and had some issues. i returned it online and got all my money back.

i use it for a lot more stuff than i can do on an ipad (view HD flash videos + play SC2 for ex). I don't plan to keep it for the next couple of years + it is a secondary computer. i wouldn't advise any one to buy the 11" as a main rig

Mikee.Nu

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
San Diego
Nope and i'm a designer and photographer and use photoshop quite often for my blog.

Now that I think about it, if 2gb vs 4gb is a serious question, you should redirect it to MBA or MBP to really see huge improvements in performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.