Anyone regret getting the 11"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by HiFiGuy528, Jul 26, 2011.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I am deciding which size to get. I like the 11" size, but not the lower resolution display and lack of SD card slot, and shorter battery life so I am leaning towards the 13". Just wondering if anyone here got the 11" and exchanged to the 13 for the same reason as I mentioned?

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I had both, although eventually took back the 11". It's a beautiful little computer, but the trade off with battery life was far too much for me, not to mention the screen space. The extra resolution of the 13" doesn't seem like much written down, but when you're using Xcode/Coda and Photoshop, you really start to miss that extra height.

I now have just the 13" and am more than happy with it.

I should add that I previously stated in a thread that I'd probably be getting rid of the 13" - so my recommendation would be to not rush any decision!

3. Trinatek macrumors newbie

Could you really deal with 3-4.5 hour battery life? Typing up papers on a super wide screen? Photoshop? etc?

4. srxtr macrumors 6502a

I got the 13" and I don't regret one bit. The 11" looks shiny and awesome, but the 13" is much more practical, for reasons you've stated in your post.

5. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

I'm actually test driving a 11" while waiting for my 13" to arrive on thursday. I really do like the 11" but really am enticed by the 13" battery like. As for SD slots, its not really a deal breaker since adapters nowadays are really cheap and small. While the resolution is lower, you actually get higher DPI on the 11" so it might actually look better than the 13". While surely the 13" will be more practical sometimes you just need for fulfill you wants more than your needs. (Not that I really need a Air in the first place) Still won't make a final decision though until the 13 arrives and I get a good comparison. I don't do any photoshop or video editing either.

6. SpiffyChee macrumors member

I love my 11" for a million reasons and would not trade it for the 13"

The battery life is the only advantage imho for the 13", and if that is your PRIMARY concern, then go get the 13"

7. hereyago macrumors member

i have the 11inch. the battery life on the 11inch is pretty bad. the screen doesn't feel small to me.

it all really depends on what you want to do on your mba.

8. rlu929s macrumors regular

I think this answer really depends on the use. If I didn't have a beast of a desktop at home with 3 monitors to do all my coding and graphics, then I'd probably want the 13". But for me I just wanted something to carry throughout the day and run my sites (not really develop). It's perfect for that IMO.

9. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

How much time does the 11" take to re-charge vs. The 13"?

10. FNi macrumors member

Here is a 1:1 screen resolution mockup I made when deciding between getting the 11" or 13". Maybe it will help you too.

My train of thought went like this: "Hmm both resolutions aren't very good and I'm not going to be able to do any real work on either one without plugging it into an external monitor. 5 hours battery is good enough. Screw SD cards. And the 13" is noticeably heavier".

But we all have different priorities, so YMMV.

11. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

The 11" charges pretty damn fast, I got a full charge in around an hour or less

12. Neil McRae macrumors regular

13. daza1000 macrumors newbie

so you decided to keep the 13" nutsngum well done enjoy your mba:D

14. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

i was definitely disappointed by the battery life. got 2-3 hours of watching videos and surfing the web. However, I'm at my desk 80 % of the day and the only time i use the mba as a laptop is when I'm on the train or flying, and during those times the 11" has the advantage of being smaller

15. webster69 macrumors newbie

I returned the 11 for the 13

Same reasons - I knew the battery wouldn't last as long as the 13 but was very noticeable. I also found I was zooming (some webpages, numbers\excel) where I don't have to on the 13.

I also find the palmrest area on the 13 to make long use better.

Just my 2 bits both systems are great - to me if you travel all the time the 11 is perfect but for more regular use and some travel I prefer the 13.

16. Philflow macrumors 65816

I've had both 11" and 13" 2010 Airs.

From a logical point of view the 13" makes much more sense. All the extra goodies and it's more comfortable to work with.

But it misses one thing. The wow factor. And that's what the 11" has totally.

So my 2011 Air might very well be the 11". Even though it doesn't make much sense. It's just so cool.

17. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Is the 11" awkward to browse the web on? Smaller text and more scrolling? How's the trackpad feel? Is it the same size as the 13"?

18. Philflow macrumors 65816

Text is about the same size but sure there's more scrolling. 768 pixels vertical vs. 900.

Trackpad feels similar.

19. vader_slri macrumors regular

Trackpad on the 11" is slightly shorter (height-wise) than the 13". Feel seems the same, at least when I tried them in store.

20. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Philflow, I'm curious, is your 11" and i5 or i7?

21. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

actually with lion full screen browsing on the 11" is great. i was surprised how good it was. The text is the same i haven't zoomed in much. The trackpad feels the same. it is a little smaller in height but not really too noticeable for me.

22. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

This is exactly how I decided on the 11" as well.

23. meistervu macrumors 65816

Ask yourself this

How much more convenient is the 11" compared to the 13" ?

For me, it's not that much smaller or lighter to carry, and I actually prefer the size of the 13" on my lap. It feels more stable.

And now, consider what you think you prefer about the 13". For me it's 900 versus 769 pixel height screen. That is the most significant difference to me. I tried a 11" for a day and kept wishing for more room: the width was OK, but height felt too short. Then there is the bonus 2 additional hours of battery life.

Mind you, the 11" was fabulous as well, and if the 13" doesn't exist, I would get the 11" in a heart beat.

I think it's great that we have choices. For some people, it's the 11". For me it's the 13".

24. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

There seems to be some mixed replies (which of course is understandable). If you guys had a 27in iMac, would you guys go 11in or 13in?

I truly prefer the 13in, but I'm thinking the 11in is the smarter buy. I don't want to regret it though... and it seems as if there are people out there who do regret it =\

//not trying to threadjack
    //you all seem to be heavily opinionated, so I'd appreciate any advice

25. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

This is actually the reason i got the 11". i have 2 22" monitors on my work desk and just connect my 11" to them 80% of the day. I only use the mba as a laptop when I'm on the train or plane. So the 13" screen and better battery life would be pretty much useless for me since I'm only using the mba's screen & battery on my 2 1 hour commutes and biweekly/monthly flights. At home i have a beastly custom rig with 2 23" monitors + 1 IPS 23" monitor. So id rather use that when I'm at home anyways.

btw this is coming from someone who had the 13" 2011 mbp and loves the 13" mba also. The 11" just makes more sense to me b.c of my portable commuting needs and b.c i have monitors and other pcs. If this was my sole computer or i didn't have any external monitors than my decision would be the 13" mba.