Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
I got 765GB SSD when that was the max. It certainly was overkill for me since I use about 260GB. Next time I will drop down to the 512GB. The amount of space you get really depends on your needs and preferences. Some people have large medial libraries and like to store everything locally. Some people prefer to offload to external storage or NAS storage.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Put it this way - I don't regret getting a 256GB but I would probably have regretted getting a 128GB 13"

In my 13" rMBP 256 GB has worked fine. I would say that 256 is the minimum anyone should get for reasons of capacity and speed, and it will be plenty as long as you don't store a lot of large files on it (a few large files are fine).

greenrobe

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2015
It all depends on an individuals needs and the way they do their computing.
The SSD only dictates the onboard storage. When taking external storage into consideration you have potentially unlimited storage. Ask yourself how much you need on your laptop at all times. Look at how external storage affects the convenience of use.

I like to catergorize my data as many do. Operating software should always be on the internal SSD. Stored data used by the operating software can easily be put on external storage, but is less convenient. Obviously we would all prefer the highest capacity SSD available, it comes down to money and priority.

I just got my rMBP 13" base model yesterday, 128GB SSD. I have a Transcend Jetdrive 128GB on the way. Just prior I got a portable external 1TB USB3 HDD. This situation will work for me. Perhaps it would work for you?

Gather information, evaluate your situation, determine your priorities and you will come to the best course of action for you.

Last edited:

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
Actually no.

I use to have a few hundred GB of flac and MP3's - but that was years ago and with streaming nowadays - who needs all that on a hard drive?

So it's now on my 2TB external drive.

I really don't download heavily anymore or play games, and currently have about 130GB left over.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
i dunno if i should just bite the bullet and buy a 1 tb ssd for like 670 off eBay and not have to worry about space or wait

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I really need more than 256GB SSD if I want to buy some of games. So I moved iTunes library and movies I used with FCPX to external drive. At this moment, I have 118GB free space which is not enough for future apps/games. :apple:

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Lots of super thin portable laptops aound, but with the,requirement of carrying around a boat anchor to make them complete.

Wish Apple gave us another option, other than paying them obscene amounts of $ directly to make the portables self sufficient. But then, I think I found the reason behind their move to all glued in. Many will argue against that being the primary motivating factor, but I the new Mac Minis should have silenced any of those naive folks.

Sad they care about $$$ more than customer needs these days. They used to strike more of a balance.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
To get to adequate onboard storage, I would need a minimum of 2TB, which isn't a choice right now. Peeling off documents, images and media makes 256GB work very nicely with lots of room to spare. USB 3.0 external drives are more than speedy enough for the other files.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
I really need more than 256GB SSD if I want to buy some of games. So I moved iTunes library and movies I used with FCPX to external drive. At this moment, I have 118GB free space which is not enough for future apps/games. :apple:

I have around 5 games from steam installed on mine, and still have 145 GB free.

Civ 5 (complete), Civ BE, Torchlight 1 and 2, Prison Architect.

I guess other games may require more space though.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I have around 5 games from steam installed on mine, and still have 145 GB free.

Civ 5 (complete), Civ BE, Torchlight 1 and 2, Prison Architect.

I guess other games may require more space though.

Lemme see...I have 4 games - Civ 5, Empire Total War Gold Edition, The Sim 3, and SimCity. I also have Stream and Orgins portal. I think Civ 5 and Total War I bought from iTunes. :apple:

etexdiver

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2015
Well, thanks to this thread, I pulled the trigger on a MBP 13 with 8 and 512. Been researching and fretting for @ a week. All the great reviews, and wanting to get more out of video editing for dive videos, got me pointed in the macbook direction. I think this will be a great place to improve my learning curve. The only other Apple product I've ever owned is an Ipod, so there will be a lot to dicover. Let the adventure begin!

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I need about 60GB for Windows 7, and would like to be able to have c. 100GB dedicated for Linux Virtual Machines. I think there are real advantages to running the VMs on the internal SSD rather than by external USB 3 disks (even if these are SSDs)

What a waste of internal space! I have all my VMs on a 500GB USB3 SSD and I easily get 300MB/s read and write... plenty fast enough.

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2013
I just ordered a 256 SSD for my cMBP Mid-2012 model. I went with 256 vs 512 because my usage right now is about 84GB...leaving me with 170ish GB. I keep a lot of larger files on my external HDD anyways.

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I used to have a laptop with 500GB storage and it wasn't enough. When I bought my rMBP, I made sure to get the highest capacity available - 1TB. I know it's cheaper to just get an external hard drive (which I do own, by the way - same capacity as my rMBP - it's just used for backup purposes), it just feels good knowing that I have all my media files and other necessities with me whenever I'm on the go. I guess everyone utilizes their storage differently.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I used to have a laptop with 500GB storage and it wasn't enough. When I bought my rMBP, I made sure to get the highest capacity available - 1TB. I know it's cheaper to just get an external hard drive (which I do own, by the way - same capacity as my rMBP - it's just used for backup purposes), it just feels good knowing that I have all my media files and other necessities with me whenever I'm on the go. I guess everyone utilizes their storage differently.

It all depends on how much you're storing. I need at least 2TB to be able to have my programs and data on a singe drive. My programs easily fit on 256GB. Paying the Apple premium for 512GB or 1TB for me would be a waste of money.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
pictures and movies are what takes up my hard drive. being that i'm not a professional photographer, just someone who does it for myself, i don't really want it all in external drives. just doesn't seem convenient.

steve1960

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2014
Singapore
My issue was the growing iTunes folder and photographs / video.

I swapped out the optical drive for a second SSD and now have the primary boot SSD with only 50GB of 500GB used and the secondary SSD with 460GB of 480GB used. I probably should have bought a bigger secondary drive.

Then I have an external 8TB Thunderbolt array set up as Raid 1. I have used just over 1TB of the available 4TB for backups.

Finally there is the 2TB Time Capsule with a 1TB HDD hanging off the USB port providing backups of the backups so everything is stored on three separate media.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.