Anyone Remember iPhone Flash Support?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ddarko, Jan 16, 2008.

1. ddarko macrumors 6502

So we're in the new year and after quite a number of updates, the device that was supposed to offer internet browsing without compromise still does not support Flash. Forget the question of whether sites should be designed that way - that train left the station long ago. But Apple advertises on its site that "iPhone lets you see web pages the way they were designed to be seen" - where's the qualifier "except when it doesn't"? I can't ever find where Apple has publicly committed itself to supporting Flash; the closest Jobs personally got was telling the New York Times "You might see [Flash support]" but then, how did Walt Mossberg get the very strong impression that Apple WOULD support Flash? He said way back in July 2007, right after the iPhone launch:

"Apple says it plans to add that plug-in through an early software update, which I am guessing will occur within the next couple of months."

http://mailbox.allthingsd.com/20070705/questions-about-apples-iphone/

I'm guessing when he wrote Apple told him so, he wasn't talking to the security guard at 1 Infinite Loop. So maybe this should be addressed to Mossberg as well as Apple: is Apple ever going to support Flash on the current iPhone?

2. kylegod macrumors newbie

I know im frustrated with this. Some sites are completely useless on the iphone. I think Flash is more important than mms, copy paste, video, etc in the next update. It really needs to be done

3. walnuts macrumors 6502

I had thought about this too. I think Mr. Mossberg was just wrong or guessing.

I guess I'm just skeptical at this point, but I don't flash support is ever coming. If you think about it, not having flash makes pandora and all of the streaming ad-based free video sites depend on flash. There's no need for apple to hurry to get people access to stuff that competes with itunes.

Also, flash is processor/power hungry. Its possible that flash would be too slow or kill the battery or both.

4. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

iphone don't have onMouseOver, onMouseMove,... you get only onMouseClick event (and maybe the double click)
    also flash don't have separations with divs or tables so that safari can zoom in/out.
    if someday flash appears on iPhone, the swf files will need to be compilant with certain rules created for iphone.