Anyone remember system 6.5!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gangzoom, Mar 17, 2011.

1. gangzoom macrumors member

Was just reading the Iphone 4 forum, and it reminded me how much Apple's fortune has changed so quickly...

My first mac was a MacPlus, i can fondly remember battling with apple file exchange trying to open MSDOS files, over priced SCSI drives, walking into PC world and not been able to find ANY apple hardware or software, the change to PowerPC from 68K, the never ending extension conflicts (conflict catcher anyone:confused:)....

In a way i think i much preferred when Apple was obscure, unknown and always on the verge of bankruptcy...these days every one and their dog them to have a "Mac" my Mac just doesn't seem special...may be am just getting old :D

2. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

You could always switch to Linux to get out of the mainstream — or Vista :eek:

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Maybe you and your Mac should be in counseling. :p

4. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

5. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Hate to break it to you, but there was no System 6.5. Perhaps you're thinking of 6.0.5?

Yeah, I remember opting out of using MultiFinder on some of those old Mac Pluses due to the small amounts of installed RAM.

System 7 was a pretty dramatic change. I recall running developer seeds of that on the big Macintosh IIx with 8MB of RAM. Good times.

6. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

System 6 (running on a Mac IIsi) was my first OS/computer setup--used it as such for years, before upgrading to System 7. That IIsi/7 combo was my primary computer through 2001 :)

7. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Yes, system 7 was a much anticipated change. "Multifinder"; haven't heard this in years.

8. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

My first Mac had OS9, my first windows computer had 3.1. Man, I even remember my first pda had a very dated version of Windows Mobile, running on a 300mgz processor with, and I quote "a very generous 96mb of NAND memory for storing files". I'm so glad I'm beyond that. I'm still using Leopard, I plan on upgrading to Lion this summer (hopefully with a new iMac).

I do not miss those days to be honest, constant issues, startup files would constantly go missing, connecting to the internet required a bachelors in science and a brief study of communications. You better hope you kept your install discs for your keyboard, your mouse, your printer, heck even your monitor or otherwise you pay dearly.

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Sometimes I get nostalgic for the good old days.

Then I remember having to reinstall System 7 every 3 months because it would get too buggy. Waiting for hours to download a couple megabytes on my 9,600 bps modem which usually connected to AOL at 2,400 bps. Then there was the obscene price of new computers and upgrades.

However, I do miss that there was a huge difference in computer performance for everyday tasks based on price, though this is more of an elitist sentiment. Now those differences are only seen in more specialized uses like video editing, gaming, medical imaging, scientific uses &c. Like my Centris 650 with 32MB RAM blew the doors off the IIvx with stock 5MB RAM it replaced in basic uses like running Office and going online, even though they were manufactured and sold at the same time. The only new computers that have a noticeable decline in performance in everyday tasks are the extremely cheap units with a single core CPU or very low power CPU's like the Atom.