Anyone remember the Mac Portable?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by DCMDan, Jan 2, 2010.

1. DCMDan macrumors newbie

I owned one for a brief time. The Mac Portable looked like a suitcase and had a 3 lb battery. Supposedly it was the Mac taken by NASA on the shuttle missions. I sold it to a mate and bought a power PC with a whopping 4 meg Ram and 40 meg HD all for the low price of $3500 with my education discount.

2. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

3. Archon Gold macrumors 6502

I agree that it should be on the list, didn't they originally ship without backlights? WTF?

but still, the Puck mouse is worse.

4. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Sure did. I remember the guy I worked for at the time ('90-'91) had one. You had to have the lighting right near his desk or it was unusable. POS. :rolleyes:

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

It was pretty cool when it came out.

A full featured Mac in a portable case.

I liked how you could move the trackball to the left or right side. Very convenient.

Almost bought one.

6. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Snippet from another thread here, yes I bought one new:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=8725772&postcount=5

Look at that thread, I have posted some Apple original MacPortable marketing material also.

7. DCMDan thread starter macrumors newbie

8. viggen61 macrumors 6502

It was taken on a Shuttle mission a long, long, time ago. I recall a famous video taken of them ejecting a floppy. The drive ejected the disc, and it floated gently away from the Mac Portable.

Gotta find that vid someplace...

Found it!

Mac Disk Eject in Space on YouTube

(If the link doesn't work just search for "Mac Disk Eject in Space" on YouTube.)

:apple::apple:

Exactly. When PC "portables" were mere shadows of their desktop brethren, the Mac Portable had a real Mac in there. Same processor, same screen resolution, and a lead-acid battery that probably still keeps a charge 20 years later.

And those old monochrome LCDs didn't need backlights. Not only that, take it outdoors, and the screen looks even better. Doesn't wash out.

A neat old Mac.

:apple::apple:

9. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

flying floppies.

that was the single most bad-ass thing i've seen on the internet in a long time. thanks!

10. Buzz Bumble Guest

Someone who used to occasionally come into where I worked at the time (an all Mac office) had one of those portable Macs.

There were worse "portables". The early models from other companies had tiny little CRT screens and 5.25" floppy disk drives. :)

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I was on the IT Support staff for a company that used them - back in the day when a lot of companies were Mac instead of Windows 3.1... :eek:

We had a whole bunch of them, some original and some back-lit. We got rid of them for nothing when the PowerBooks came out. Wish I had snagged one... :(

Some guy sold one mint complete-in-box for reasonable on eBay several years back right before Apple Collecting became really popular. Should've bid on it...