Anyone remember this?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by newfoundglory, Feb 6, 2011.

1. newfoundglory macrumors 6502

2. Bill McEnaney macrumors 6502

What "baby?"

3. newfoundglory thread starter macrumors 6502

here ....

Attached Files:

4. holmesf, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011

holmesf macrumors 6502a

I remember Code Warrior.

Back in 2002 or so I took my first Computer Science class at the local community college -- was 15 years old then.

The only really nice thing I remember about this product was that I could compile the same code for Mac OS 9, Mac OS X, or for DOS. This was essential because my CS teacher would only accept assignment submissions as DOS executables (accompanied by a hard copy of the code). It also created some problems because some of the assignments required taking command line arguments, and OS 9 had no command line environment. I almost failed my final assignment because (working on OS9) I didn't understand what command line arguments were, and wrote my program to take the arguments as a line of text that would be scanned when the program started up.

XCode was introduced about a year later, evolving from Project Builder, and I adopted it without looking back.

5. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

That's just silly. The only way that makes sense to me is turning in source that the prof or TA compiles. Hopefully your code doesn't do system-specific things, but we were always told ours had to compile and work on Solaris on SPARC and Linux on x86. This meant you could write on any system, so long as we ssh-ed into the linux and Solaris machines in the labs for testing. A printed copy is fine, but turning in an executable, especially for trivial assignments, seems cheat-prone and harder to catch. Not deducting points for compiler errors and warnings seems silly, too. There's no way to say that the code and binary match with 100% certainty.

-Lee

6. holmesf macrumors 6502a

I agree, it was really silly! And I haven't had a single Computer Science class since that worked that way! But anyway, tell that to my teacher a decade ago!

7. firewood macrumors 604

Remember?

I keep a working copy of Metrowerks CodeWarrior on my Mac G3. It not only compiles "fat" applications for both PPC and 68K Macs, but builds PalmPilot apps as well.

8. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

I remember CodeWarrior from building PalmPilot apps. Although only under Windows. I hadn't yet moved to Mac then.

9. Sander macrumors 6502

I fondly remember CodeWarrior from my BeOS days :)

10. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Fantastic tools in their day, soooo much easier to get into than MPW. Had a few PowerPlant projects, and did a little Palm programming as well.