Anyone renting movies on iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ibrainch, Feb 7, 2008.

1. ibrainch macrumors regular

Just wanted to see if people have actually switched their habits from renting from Blockbuster/Netflix to renting from iTunes. I rented my first movie "Sunshine" last night and was actually pretty impressed at the speed of the download and the quality of the movie. Haven't heard much about movie rentals since they were announced...

2. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

I, like I suspect many others are, am waiting for the tv update. I'm far more likely to rent movies to watch with my wife... she tends to get annoyed if I put on my headphones for 2 hours on a night and totally tune her out.

I have loaded up my account with pre-paid gift cards and purchased and hooked up my tv, and am waiting patiently to begin.

To start, I think we're going to rent "Raising Arizona" (recommended), and catch up on a lot of stuff we missed at the theatres last year.

3. ewxlt macrumors regular

I'd rather watch my 42" tv than watch a movie on my laptop.

Also, I'll not kick down money for an Apple TV.

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I save renting movies for my 17" laptop. For me, downloads take about two hours and the quality is good as well.

It's been about 10 years since I went to a store and actually rented a movie so renting a movie on iTunes was my first since then, it won't be the last.

5. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Will once we get the :apple:TV update here in the UK.

6. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

Have rented several. As soon as I get the dinero, I'm buying an :apple:TV and dumping satellite.

7. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I rented "300" while on the road a couple of weeks ago. It was alright. (The rental service was good, the movie only fair). I'm also waiting on the :apple:TV update to watch with the family.

8. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Once the service becomes available on the UK iTunes Store. Then I'll be renting movies galore!

9. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I rented "The Simpsons Movie" as I never saw it in the theatres. I had to watch it on my TV via my iPhone as my computer is two slow to watch movies in iTunes. I was an easy experience.

TEG

10. jakeacc macrumors regular

anyone attempt downloading an iTunes movie to their laptop and then connecting it to their HDTV via a DVI-2-HDMI cord? I wonder if DRM won't let you do that.

I know Netflix streaming service doesnt allow you to watch movies via DVI due to its DRM. I tried and the customer service said I can only do component or VGA out to a TV.

11. iAthena macrumors regular

I hadn't thought about it much until I saw this thread, but I haven't rented a movie in over three months from Blockbuster or anyone.

The few movies that I'd be willing to watch more than once I just buy the DVD of and if there's nothing on TV during the rare times I have time to just veg out, I just pop in a DVD that I already own.

12. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I have rented a couple of movies but I think now I will wait for the Apple TV update

13. billabong macrumors 6502

I rented on only to find out I can't watch it on my AppleTV...

The days are counting down 12 more days left... Lets hope take 2 comes before then.

14. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I haven't rented from Blockbuster or Netflix in years, but I'm enjoying renting from iTunes now. I load rented movies on my iPhone to watch on the plane when I travel. It couldn't be easier...

15. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

There have been ways to watch movies over the net for about 10 years now. That is really what these services are trying to compete with or at least justify and take some petty cash in. :rolleyes: