Anyone repair their iPhone 3GS by thereselve? Any problems you encountered?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by incises0ul, Apr 10, 2010.

1. incises0ul macrumors newbie

I got my cracked iPhone screen repaired by this guy, and I noticed two problems.

1. The home button is difficult to press down. I have to really push a few times, or use my fingernail, to get it to work. The guy said when I dropped my phone I bent the inside slightly, so it was hard to even change the glass in the first place. He claimed if he tried to push the home button down further it might damage the phone.

2. When I'm on a call, the screen doesn't "go black" after I put it next to my ear, which causes me to hang calls up.

Is this normal? Did I get a bad repair or something?

By the way, before I got it repaired, this is how bad the damage was.
    (You can't tell in the picture, but the black part near the speaker was also damaged)

[​IMG]

2. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Sounds like shoddy work. I doubt the plastic frame was bent. Its a little flexible. Maybe he bent the frame when using a heat gun/hair dryer to loosen the adhesive to replace the glass. Thats my guess. He probably damaged the proximity sensor... thats why the screen stays on. Maybe the connector for it was loose. Go back to him, and ask him to do a real job. Or get your money back.

3. incises0ul thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe so. I remember even after I dropped the phone, the sensors still worked.

4. AppleHack23 macrumors member

Then he screwed something up. Tell him to learn how to fix something, and tell him you want to get a free repair of those defects for the inconvenience he caused you.

5. incises0ul thread starter macrumors newbie

Could I go to Apple and tell them about the issue and get a new phone out of this? I've only had the phone a month so they should replace it for free, right?

6. AppleHack23 macrumors member

Nope. Once you had your phone taken apart by an un-authorized Apple repair service, your warranty is voided.

7. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

First off YOU cracked the glass. So apple would change $199
    for a new display assembly. But you brought it to an UNATHORIZED clueless repair guy. He messed up other things. User damage and modifications are not covered. Also unathorized repair people void you warrenty. Pay $199 for a new display assembly and get a case... Or be nice to your gadgets.

8. incises0ul thread starter macrumors newbie

9. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

So now your thinking about SCAMMING apple. Apple would know that their employees don't do a shoddy job repairig products. Also they can tell if the glass touch panel is genuine. Yours is probably a cheap eBay one. Just either talk to the non professional repair guy about it, or suck it up and ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR iPhone. Take care of your expensive gadgets.

10. incises0ul thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, the repair guy said the connectors in the phone were kind of loose. Could this have something to do with it?

11. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

It's BS. That "repair guy" is clueless. If the phone was fine before it was dripped, and fine after the drop (except the glass) who eer opened up the phone damaged it. The connectors are either corected or not, not lose. He just wants to sound like a pro, and not take the blame

12. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Isn't this pcs are junk? pcs are junk has a YouTube channel called AppleHack23, and now there is a username called AppleHack23. Same person?I think so.

13. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I think so too. He also has a website now that he keeps shilling with jailbreaking "advice" :rolleyes:

14. incises0ul thread starter macrumors newbie

So what should I say to this guy? I don't think he'd just give me my money back. :I

15. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Yet his Birthday is the same as pcs are junk... November 14, 1995

16. AppleHack23 macrumors member

Nope, just a fan of AppleHack23. :)

17. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

You just said in another thread that the applehack23 website was yours.

18. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

With the same birthday and all? I dink think so. :D Both pcs are junk and AppleHack23 live in New Jursey, and have the same birthdate, and same age. Also I have proof. Daniel (pcs are junk) told me his YouTube username was AppleHack23 I alerted the mods.

19. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Say you ****ed up my iPhone. :D Fix it, or buy me a new one or give me $199 Or go to Judge Judy. She needs to know how iPhones work.

20. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

Ok lets ask the obvious first

was the repair done at a house or a shop?????

did he let you watch him repair the phone????

most people offer to repair iphones and aftermarket junk instead of going OEM.......

bring it back he should behind his work if he is legit.........

apple is a bit much for a glass replacement but you can find qualified people to work on your phone for less.......

21. AppleHack23 macrumors member

Like I said, I'm just a fan. I offered to make him a free website, and I asked him for his information to make it.

22. incises0ul thread starter macrumors newbie

It was done at a house, and he offered to do it in front of me and my friend, but we didn't watch (we wanted to watch a movie with his wife in another room.. -.-).

23. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

24. AppleHack23 macrumors member

Thats because I made this account to pretend to be him. My real name is actually Michael.

25. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

You realize we can all look at other threads that you're posting at the same time as this one, right?