anyone replace their iphone 3g yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Jul 14, 2008.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I was told that if you get it replaced, you get it replaced with a unit that comes in a different box. anyone do this yet?

2. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

I'm having a big issue right now, (see the end of the rant thread) and I will be going in 4 hours to get mine replaced.

3. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

I will be replacing my 16 gig black once they get more in. My ring/vibrate switch is messed up. Also, on one side of my phone, the edge where the back case meets the chrome ring is protruding. They better give me a new one in a new box.

4. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Yeah you don't think the genius bar is already trying to give people refurbished ones, do you?

5. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

I hear the Apple stores have extras left on the side (for example if there are 20 appointments that day = 20 iPhones) just incase problems occur. Just the general public can't buy those.

6. ALittleDrive macrumors regular

I swapped mine out for a new one, but it did not come in box, just phone swap, worked out fine.

7. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

What was wrong with yours?

8. kimberlyd. macrumors newbie

had to replace mine already. got it on Friday night. they let me take it and activate it at home (Short Hills). i took it out of the box and noticed the power button was protruding out. was in the city last night around 11 pm and took it into the 5th ave store to exchange. there were still people in line waiting to get the 3g! anyway, took me about 30 min to exchange, they gave me a brand new phone. opened the box right in front of me. now this phone seems to have some glue on the sides of the glass where it meets the chrome. it doesnt seem to go right up to the chrome, doesnt seem like a "tight" fit. don't know if I will be exchanging this one. i will give it a few days and see if it really bothers me. i payed full price, so this make me a little more anal than usual. 16g white btw.

9. steve77uk macrumors regular

I picked mine up at about 1600 on Friday, found that there was a small scratch on the back and also a plastic blister on the back. Took it in to Apple the next morning Sat AM (bought it from CPW) and they just swapped it over - really good about it.

The replacement came out of a plain brown box which was just the size of the phone, but as it has just been released they were obviously new. They had to use these because the new boxed ones have sims which are linked to the phones etc and already have a mobile number. Apparently the brown box ones are just sim free supplied directly by apple and have not been messed around with by O2.

Don't worry if you get a replacement, they are too new to be refurbished!! In a couple of weeks, that may be a different matter. But I still will have my 1 year warranty so am not worried at all.

10. AppleSpice macrumors member

I went yesterday with my boyfriend to have his replaced at the apple store... He did get a "refurbished" one out of the white box but lets think about this... it just came out, so they are just NEW 3G phones that are in stock for this purpose because clearly apple knew people would have issues.

11. ALittleDrive macrumors regular

I was one who had the small dark circle in middle of screen, dead pixels or something!