Anyone replaced hard drive on SR MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by georgeoommen, Nov 18, 2007.

1. georgeoommen macrumors regular

This weekend I tried to do open heart surgery on my 2.2 MBP to replace the current 120gig hdd to a 250gig one. I know this will void my warranty, but 120gig just doesn't cut it for me anymore and i need the bigger hdd. I followed the guide i found on iFixit.com

All went according to plan till i reached the bit about removing the upper case with the keyboard and trackpad so as to be able to access the inside of the MBP. I managed to loosen the top end of it (near the screen), but for the life of me i can't manage to get the bottom part (near the latch) loose. The guide suggests you might have to rock the keyboard back and forth a bit to loosen it at the bottom, but whatever i try it looks like there is some screw or something that is still bolding the bottom part together. I tried using a bit of force as well, but still no luck. So after about an hour of trying i gave up and put it all back.

The iFixit guide also says its for the 2.16-2.33ghz MBP. those as i remember is the non-SR MBPs. So I was wondering if maybe apple has slightly changed the layout of the new SR MBPs and if anyone has successfully managed to open the SR MBPs so as to be able to replace the hdd. If so could you please tell me if there is some step the iFixit guide is missing?

2. Type121 macrumors regular

I just replaced the hard drive in my brand new MacBook Pro. I can't remember which guides I looked at, but I'm sure that I saw the iFixit guide at some point. Nothing significant seems to have changed.

The key is to be absolutely sure you have all the screws out. There are 21 to remove.

3. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

I replaced the HD in mine, it took about 15 minutes.. but it was the 2nd time I had taken it apart so I was not quite as careful as I was the 1st time. Well worth the trouble imo. The iFixit guide is spot on. I would also recommend watching the installation video at Macsales.com.

4. steve77uk macrumors regular

So if it voids your warranty, what are you going to do if it breaks in the future? Will they know it has been taken to bits?

I have just bought a MBP today, and as I bought it from the store it only came with a 160 5400 drive - I have a 250GB drive sitting here in my normal Blackbook. I wanted to swap them over but now find that it will void the warranty!!!

Not happy as I filled the 160 on my Blackbook already!!

What is a guy suppose to do?