Anyone replaced the silent switch before?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ziggie216, Sep 23, 2009.

1. ziggie216 macrumors 6502

How much did it cost you and how long did it take? Trying to find out for someone since his kid some how ripped off the silver part of the switch

2. rjsmith18 macrumors member

rjsmith18

It should be covered by warranty. It shouldn't come off by picking at it.

3. greenboy macrumors newbie

Mine fell off and I took it to the Apple Store in which they said they would give me a new phone. So just have it warrantied.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+4 ^^^ Yup, take it back and they'll replace the iPhone, no charge....:eek:

5. Tomb85 Guest

Tomb85

Happened to me. Got really stiff once, so in an attempted to put it on silent it broke off. Went into Apple store. New phone. :)

6. jrm27 macrumors 6502

Mine broke off a while ago. Since I had applecare and live 120 miles from the nearest apple store I sent it in to apple for replacement. They called me and said that a water sensor trigger had been tripped and that they couldn't replace my switch. My applecare was then voided because my phone had water damage. They said the water damage was caused by condensation from having my phone in my pocket and going from a cold climate (outdoors) to a warm climate (indoors). Awesome.

So, I still have no silent switch and can't make my phone be quiet without turning it off. Moral of the story... don't be surprised if they say you have water damage and won't replace the phone.

7. McBeats macrumors 6502a

geez, why did you do that? put it in your pocket and go inside and outside....

you know... these stories im hearing about applecare (including one from myself) gets me so pissed off that they can just deny you like that. (snap finger)....

8. jrm27 macrumors 6502

yeah (sorry if this is a thread hijack)!

Heaven forbid I have to leave my house with a phone.... Oh well, the phone still works fine. For a while I had jailbroken it so I could use Boss Prefs to control my overal volume. I could mute the phone from the control panel, which was nice. But I just wish I could get them to fix my silent switch, regardless of applecare.

9. jp.kennard macrumors newbie

I have replaced a broken vibrate switch before (twice to three times now actually). All I can say is that it is the hardest thing to do, its really really fiddly and you need a super steady hand to get those screws back in. It costs about £7 which is probably around $12 or somewhere near there, but mack sure you don't buy from a cheap chinese site as they are often not genuine apple parts and I've had massive problems with the headphone port because of them. It takes about 3-4 hours sometimes. So good luck!