Anyone restoring and not going back for 2.0

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by kshat28, Jun 4, 2008.

1. kshat28 macrumors member

I'm going to restore sunday night and not going try to re-jailbreak again after firmware 2.0 and the app store are released. I think with 2.0 and the store it is not that much of a benefit to have it jailbroken. Is anyone switching to 2.0 not going back?

2. Tyris macrumors newbie

I'll be waiting for a method to jailbreak the version 2.0 rom.

Then I'll be looking forward to boot-leg apps on thepiratebay.

-T

3. trevorlsciact macrumors regular

if I had jail broken mine to begin with that is what I'd do, in fact I'm tempted to jailbreak now, but there is not really much point at this point

*realizes my post is useless*
    *considers not posting it*
    *decides to anyway*

4. firelord901 macrumors member

Yep just did that today. I can live without it jailbroken for a few weeks.

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

for time being I'm staying with 1.1.4 if 2.0 does get jailbroken then all the better I would rather like a jailbroken 2.0 for installer as app store can come with a charge for some apps and from reading you wont be able to customize the look which is boring to say the least lol

6. macfan881 macrumors 68020

if theres a good im program for free yes dont use much games any more but aim is a main progroam i use now

7. LloydBraun89 macrumors member

do you think they would make them like the ipod games where you cant download them from torrents?

8. opivy1218 macrumors member

Yes. When they jailbreak 2.0, you'll be able to SSH into you ipod/iphone (if SSH doesn't come out in App Store already) and then just put the apps on like any other application now.

9. macfan881 macrumors 68020

first off dont hold your breath on torrent apps and such i think apple is gonna have some sorta securty feature where it will tie into your account im sure apple has thought of this stuff and will handle it

10. Tyris macrumors newbie

Yeah, because the movie industry, music industry, professional software makers (not toy OS makers like apple) all have never thought of some "sorta security feature" to prevent piracy, and never tried to implement such drek.

Oh wait, all those corporations got their asses handed to them too.

Any copy protection scheme can be broken, your highly technical argument not withstanding of course.

-T

11. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Except for macromedia flash. Don't get me wrong, yes you can dload Flash off of torrents, I did it last week, however once you post a .swf online, it has a unique code in the meta info of the swf that tells if it was rendered from an illegal or legal copy and the registration info from the version of flash you are using. I think that’s a pretty novel idea. I think it would be somewhat simple for apple to put something like that into place.

I can think of two companies I know right now that use one computer to render/export/prepare… whatever you want to call it… for production use on the internet. There is quiet a precedent of people getting “their asses handed to them” via Macromedia

Everything is speculation right now.

BTW, lose the hubris. Don’t ruin this conversation for the rest of us.

12. donaldj macrumors 6502

donaldj

Going back to the topic at hand, I think I'll remain jailbroken, unless Apple laxes their app policies to allow visual customization (i.e. Customize, Summerboard, Intelliscreen). Those things are the main reason I'm jailbroken.

That and Touchpad Pro... Best app ever, and I'm pretty sure it'll go into the app store.

So, as it stands with apples policy, no. I am not restoring unless my iPod crashes.

13. GamecockMac macrumors 6502a

GamecockMac

And I'll be looking forward to reading about you being taken to court and sued for copyright infringement.

14. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

the IM app everyone used to use was apollo IM but they stopped development, the main one now seems to be an app called mobile chat (should be in installer)

15. opivy1218 macrumors member

Right, cause theres not thousands and thousands of people aren't currently, as I'm typing this, pirating songs, movies, and other applications, and not getting caught.
    Yes, some people do get caught for pirating music and the RIAA sues them to make it seem if anyone, anyone at all, downloads music, they will automaticly be caught.
    But fact is, they won't.

16. opivy1218 macrumors member

Oh, and sorry if I turned this thread in the wrong direction and any arguements this may cause.

17. GamecockMac macrumors 6502a

GamecockMac

I'm sure the people who have been caught and forced to pay thousands of dollars in fines and legal fees told themselves the same thing...

18. opivy1218 macrumors member

Good point there, except only a few people do get caught. There's ways to prevent this, such as IP Filtering, which can be done easily.

19. Tyris macrumors newbie

You wont be reading about a damn thing, gamecock.
    Hide under your bed and live in fear if you want.

-T

20. darkmeton macrumors member

actually as I found out with summerboard, it's more boring to constantly trying to find new themes in order not to get bored.. so I decided to use the default (black).. A black backround also helps the battery to last a little longer since not many colors are shown..

I think the more logic way is to go from a jailbroken 1.1.4 through the installer to the 2.0 (download 2.0 as an app from the installer, or install anything new that 2.0 has to offer from the installer, just like the january update.)

21. darkmeton macrumors member

tried to download it a couple of times and everytime it crashes on istall.. I think it's only for iphone (chat with sms or something like that)

22. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

worked fine for me on my touch