Anyone returned rMBP with student discount?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cstm, Aug 1, 2012.

1. cstm macrumors regular

Apple is telling me that they will charge me for the free student gift card (I haven't used it) if I want to return my rMBP. I mean... what? I didn't pay for it in the first place, I should be able to get a full refund if I send it back along my mac.

2. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I had this issue last year. As long as you have not used it, you won't be charged. However, even if you scratched off the code but didn't use it, you'll still be charged.

3. Surfin10 macrumors member

What they did for me was charge $100 for the 'free' gift card, then took $100 off of the price of the computer. IE: I purchased a 2.3/16/256 w/ Student Discount for $2,100. I was charged $100 for the GC upfront and only $2,000 for the computer. I guess they did this knowing that I would either sell/use or keep the GC even if I returned or replaced the computer.

Did they not do this for you?

4. cstm thread starter macrumors regular

no but I wanna return it. Apple rep was telling me that my now four dead pixels on the retina macbook pro is "acceptable" and they can't replace it, and if I wanna return it they will return me the full amount MINUS the gift card. I mean what the... I haven't even touched the gift card.

5. marddin macrumors 6502

They don't do this because they know you will sell it. They do this so they can tax you for the "Free" giftcard. Sneaky bastards

6. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

If the code hasn't been scratched off yet, you can return it. I did this last year with them and they were pretty good about it.

7. Surfin10 macrumors member

Uh, well, I shipped to NH (0% sales tax).
    I also did a "pick-up" for my GC - So I had my GC a full month before my rMBP. So, most people would have either sold it or spent it by the time the computer arrives. Maybe you're right, but I think it's a bigger reason then Apple is a "Sneaky Bastard".

8. marddin macrumors 6502

I had my card shipped and it came in 3 days after my purchase so I what's your point...?

You can still return it as long as it's not used.

9. Hackintosh Sr. macrumors regular

scratched off or no scratch as long as you haven't used it. They forwarded me to itunes support and everything was A - ok.

I actually scratched it off and put it on my account through redeem. They somehow were able to take it off since I hadn't touched the $100 yet. Seems crazy I know, but that is my story

10. latestmonkey, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012

latestmonkey macrumors 6502

:rolleyes: You should probably think about that.

That's not why they do it.

1) I don't even think giftcards get taxed and it's not like apple benefits from the taxing.
    2) they do it so you don't return the computer, get the full refund and keep the gift card. It's pretty standard procedure on gift card deals at any retailer.

11. nett macrumors newbie

"Buy a qualifying Mac and receive a £70 Student Gift Card, or buy a qualifying iPad and receive a £35 Student Gift Card. The Mac or iPad must be purchased from Apple between 11 June 2012 and 21 September 2012. Purchaser must be eligible for Apple Education Individual Pricing; education pricing is not available for iPad. The Student Gift Card may be used on the Mac App Store, the iTunes Store, the App Store and the iBookstore. If the Mac or iPad is returned, your refund may be reduced by the full amount of the Student Gift Card. Terms and conditions apply. The Mac App Store and the App Store are available only to persons aged 13 or older in the US and many other countries; see www.apple.com/support/itunes/ww for a list of countries. Terms apply. See www.apple.com/legal/itunes/uk/terms.html for more information."

This is new to me

12. pps macrumors newbie

If you read the Terms and Conditions PDF (http://www.apple.com/promo/pdf/BTS_2012_Terms_Conditions_US.pdf) it actually says this:

PROCEDURES RELATED TO PRODUCT RETURNS AND EXCHANGES: If a Qualifying Product is returned for any reason and not exchanged for another
    Qualifying Product required for redemption under this promotion, the Back to School Gift Card must be returned with the Qualifying Product in order
    to receive a full refund. If the Back to School Gift Card is missing, is not returned, or has been redeemed by depositing its value into any iTunes account
    (even if no purchases have been made against the value of the Back to School Gift Card), then the full original value of the Back to School Gift Card will
    be deducted from the exchange or refund of the Qualifying Product.

13. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

The purchase of giftcards is not taxed. Otherwise you would be taxed when buying the giftcard and when using the giftcard.

14. mrksale macrumors member

I am in the same boat of returning my rMBP. I just called apple online store and able to cancel the iTunes card and they also setup for me to return my rMBP at apple store near to my place.

15. kahuna0k macrumors member

It is written in the Terms you have accepted, at the end of

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/ca...AIC-AOS-NAUS-EDU-BTS-June2012-Homepage-banner

you can read:

* Buy a qualifying Mac and receive a $100 Back to School Gift Card, or buy a qualifying iPad and receive a $50 Back to School Gift Card. The Mac or iPad must be purchased from Apple or a participating Apple Authorized Campus Store from June 11, 2012, through September 21, 2012. Purchaser must be eligible for Apple Education Individual Pricing; education pricing is not available for iPad. The Back to School Gift Card may be used on the Mac App Store, the iTunes Store, the App Store, and the iBookstore. If the Mac or iPad is returned, your refund may be reduced by the full amount of the Back to School Gift Card. Terms and conditions apply. The Mac App Store and the App Store are available only to persons age 13 or older in the U.S. Terms apply. See www.apple.com/legal/itunes/us/terms.html for more information. If you purchase a qualifying new Mac on or after June 11 2012, and OS X Mountain Lion is not preinstalled, you can request an upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion at no additional charge via the OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date Program www.apple.com/osx/uptodate. Terms and Conditions apply.

So they have the right to do it, but may be you are lucky and they accept that you haven't use that card, but if they would want they would be able to charge you for it.