Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buckuxc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
hey all,

I was talking about the new PowerMacs yesterday with a friend who is a CompSci major and said you know, you could probably run all 3 "major" operating systems (a partition with OSX, a partition with some other variant of Linux, and Windows running off of VirtualPC or some other emulator) with hardly any problem on a PowerMac G5, especially the dual G5 configs.

So I was wondering, does anyone actually do this?

Before anyone goes all Windoze blah blah blah on me, I'm just asking this A) out of curiousity B) because I don't think a wintel machine could do this and C) because in all serious, it's practical to have working knowledge/use of Windows for many people, and the ability to use all 3 for a (much) smaller subset of people.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
My Main PC Triple Boots Windows XP 64 / Windows XP Pro 32bit / Gentoo Linux 64 Bit Edition.

My iBook of course runs OSX

__

I like the Hardware and speed of my PC, So I use it alot more. But I like Mac OSX the best. Its cool how you can customize Gentoo pretty much anyway you want, but I am not that big a-Linux Fan. I use it just to enhance my knowledge. When I get a Dual Core - Dual Powermac G5 (whenever they surface) I will switch to Mac completly, mostly because of OSX. But my Dual Opteron 2.4Ghz Machine hauls right now, and windows XP isnt that bad.

<3 waiting for Dual Core G5's......

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
I have Windows XP SP2 on 2 machines, and a FreeBSD (Which i find a lot better than Linux on many many levels) file server/programming box, and obviously OS X on my powerbook.

oh, and in my opinion it's the software that makes Mac's compelling... sorry but x86 hardware has a big edge on PowerPC in terms of power. they get all the new toys first and that gives them a big edge. there really isn't anything a PC can't do that a PowerPC can.. sorry, not a good argument. and Opteron processors just flat out destory anything else in a consumer level machine right now. whether that be Xeon, G5, Athlon 64, Opteron. ya that's comparing apples to oranges a bit... but the power of a Opteron just amazes me.. especially the dual-core ones. incredible. especially the power consumption which is just jaw dropping

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
If your counting VPC, then yes.

OS X on the powerbook, imac G4, powermac, imac G3
Debian linux on the file server
win2k pro on my VPC (for ASP.NET stuff for school)

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
XP and 98 on the Dell, along with Fedora Core Linux, 98 on another box, DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11 for Workgroups on another PC, iMac with Panther and an iBook with 9.22 and Panther.

I just wish I had Tiger for the iMac -- need to look into it soon.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
DXoverDY said:
I have Windows XP SP2 on 2 machines, and a FreeBSD (Which i find a lot better than Linux on many many levels) file server/programming box, and obviously OS X on my powerbook.

oh, and in my opinion it's the software that makes Mac's compelling... sorry but x86 hardware has a big edge on PowerPC in terms of power. they get all the new toys first and that gives them a big edge. there really isn't anything a PC can't do that a PowerPC can.. sorry, not a good argument. and Opteron processors just flat out destory anything else in a consumer level machine right now. whether that be Xeon, G5, Athlon 64, Opteron. ya that's comparing apples to oranges a bit... but the power of a Opteron just amazes me.. especially the dual-core ones. incredible. especially the power consumption which is just jaw dropping
Sorry, both these posts are OT.

Yeh, an x86 can run code out of the data segment and a PPC can't. It's one of the main reasons x86 will never be as secure as any OS on PPC.

On Opteron vs PPC power consumption: You're smoking something. I have a DP G5 @ 2.5 GHz and a DP Opteron @ 2 GHz. I've been Folding 24x7 on the G5 since last September. I started Folding 24x7 on the Opteron in mid-March. In case you don't know about Folding, it consumes every idle cycle on your processors, so you're running 100% all the time. When I got my electric bill after running the G5 for a full month, I noticed a $5-6 bump in electricity. After running the Opteron for a full month, my electric bill jumped over $20! Both have the same memory footprint and disk drives; the Opteron is a headless server, so no additional screen. The G5, which I use for all my routine computer work, completes about the same amount of Folding work as the Opteron, which has been dedicated 100% to Folding.

BTW, the DP Opteron sounds like a jet taking off, while the DP G5 barely whispers, which is the whole reason for the water cooling, *not* because of huge power consumption.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
daveL said:
Sorry, both these posts are OT.

Yeh, an x86 can run code out of the data segment and a PPC can't. It's one of the main reasons x86 will never be as secure as any OS on PPC.

On Opteron vs PPC power consumption: You're smoking something. I have a DP G5 @ 2.5 GHz and a DP Opteron @ 2 GHz. I've been Folding 24x7 on the G5 since last September. I started Folding 24x7 on the Opteron in mid-March. In case you don't know about Folding, it consumes every idle cycle on your processors, so you're running 100% all the time. When I got my electric bill after running the G5 for a full month, I noticed a $5-6 bump in electricity. After running the Opteron for a full month, my electric bill jumped over $20! Both have the same memory footprint and disk drives; the Opteron is a headless server, so no additional screen. The G5, which I use for all my routine computer work, completes about the same amount of Folding work as the Opteron, which has been dedicated 100% to Folding.

BTW, the DP Opteron sounds like a jet taking off, while the DP G5 barely whispers, which is the whole reason for the water cooling, *not* because of huge power consumption.

i was refering to the dual-core opterons. not the old ones. for being dual core their power usage is extremely incredible. not to mention the new Venice cores in the Athlon 64's is amazing as well.

i didn't post this to get into an argument, so this will be my last reply. however i didn't think my post was off topic. he asked some questions and i answered them with my opinion and a few bits i had read up on over the past few weeks. sorry, i'll take my x86 for any powerful number crunching any day... if i want to get work done otherwise where processor performance isn't as big a factor, i'll use my PowerBook. case closed, if you wanna argue, you'll be arguing with yourself.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
DXoverDY said:
i was refering to the dual-core opterons. not the old ones. for being dual core their power usage is extremely incredible. not to mention the new Venice cores in the Athlon 64's is amazing as well.

i didn't post this to get into an argument, so this will be my last reply. however i didn't think my post was off topic. he asked some questions and i answered them with my opinion and a few bits i had read up on over the past few weeks. sorry, i'll take my x86 for any powerful number crunching any day... if i want to get work done otherwise where processor performance isn't as big a factor, i'll use my PowerBook. case closed, if you wanna argue, you'll be arguing with yourself.
The OP asked specifically about running OS X, Linux and Windows on a *Mac*. He didn't ask about running OSes on x86. He didn't ask about Opterons. He didn't ask for opinions on what processor was best for number crunching, so yes, your entire post was OT. As this one is, as well.

You have an interesting philosophy about posting. Apparently you think you can post whatever you want, but if someone disagrees with what you say, then they're arguing with you, and you walk away. So, I guess you expect everyone reading your post to just accept it ask gospel, without question? Wow, what a concept.

buckuxc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
2 things

1) I was actually kinda wondering if anyone was actually running all three OS's on the same machine - a PowerMac G5 (or any other I guess). Unless I got confused reading someone's post and someone is doing that. I just thought it would be interesting to note a person actually running all 3 on a single computer.

2) What are some of the reasons you all run all of the operating systems? The options that I can think of off the top of my head are: coder (webdev or application) needing multiplatform support; had an old pc or mac and changed systems without getting rid of it; running a server; and lastly, just for the heck of it as a hobby...how many are doing the last one?

As of right now, I only have a powerbook g4...but I wouldn't mind having all of them if I had a good reason...of course, I really don't...nor do I have that kind of money.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
daveL said:
The OP asked specifically about running OS X, Linux and Windows on a *Mac*. He didn't ask about running OSes on x86. He didn't ask about Opterons. He didn't ask for opinions on what processor was best for number crunching, so yes, your entire post was OT. As this one is, as well.

You have an interesting philosophy about posting. Apparently you think you can post whatever you want, but if someone disagrees with what you say, then they're arguing with you, and you walk away. So, I guess you expect everyone reading your post to just accept it ask gospel, without question? Wow, what a concept.

don't be a "nancy pansy"

Before anyone goes all Windoze blah blah blah on me, I'm just asking this A) out of curiousity B) because I don't think a wintel machine could do this and C) because in all serious, it's practical to have working knowledge/use of Windows for many people, and the ability to use all 3 for a (much) smaller subset of people.

that's what i was making my point about, maybe YOU should learn to read eh?

my point is, you can do this on an x86 machine, and i'd trust x86 hardware to do it better than it's done on a PowerPC. We also have virtual PC and as far as i'm concerned a much better system called VMWare.

as far as my rant about Opteron being better, it's simply because it is for almost all purposes i have myself. I bought my PowerBook knowing full well that the processor and architecture was kinda old and dated. but the idea that OS X was going to get things done better for me .. i.e. it stays out of my face and let's me do my job.. the software was the sale here, not the hardware. if i wanted power and versatility, i would've went with x86 hardware. Yea i could've went with a G5 machine but i have no real need for one right now other than to have a desktop for when i'm home. yea i know the G5 is technologically superior in many ways over the G4.. no need to tell me. i know, probably more than you do.

a linux machine optimized for a 64bit processor just destroys OS X on a G5, not to mention it's so much easier to write for. right now you have to hack the living hell out of your code just to get it to use the 64 bit end of things. *yawn*

i just don't like people here who can't think outside the little white box apple gives them with their ipod/ibook/mac mini. my point is, i use what's best for the job. when i want to play games, no doubt i use x86. when i want to crunch numbers i use my dual opteron system, when i want to sit down and write a short story or a poem i use my powerbook. they all have their purposes.

my freebsd box (dual opteron) is for file serving, web hosting, my itunes library, my photo collection, my media server etc. my windows machine is set up for games, my powerbook has OS X and lots of useful writing apps and xcode for when i'm feeling like i want to write an app or two.

why would i want to emulate or use all 3 systems? checking my web sites against a wide variety of web browsers, some apps are clearly better on different platforms, some apps are only available for 1 operating system, and so on. there are plenty of needs other than tinkering to have multiple operating systems installed. so there, i answered the parents questions.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Silly Comp Sci majors always bragging that they have more OSes :D

I don't do that though, I'm a Comp Sci who brags that he's exclusivley an OSX user (except for that rare occasion when I use XP in VPC) :D

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
yg17 said:
Silly Comp Sci majors always bragging that they have more OSes :D

I don't do that though, I'm a Comp Sci who brags that he's exclusivley an OSX user (except for that rare occasion when I use XP in VPC) :D

was a computer science major so i hear you here. i just decided i didn't want to hate writing applications, so i want to keep it as a hobby, same way i work on old cars.. i don't want a job doing it, it takes the fun out of doing it in your spare time. so i'm doing something i think i can enjoy and keep as a job.

i don't brag about the number of OSes i use. i just use what fits the purpose. I like linux, but i like FreeBSD more. Windows is ok for some things, mostly games for me, OS X is great for writing, programming, just putzing around and being overall usable as a desktop machine. each has their purpose in my life, i use them because they do the job better than the others.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I have run all three OSes on my PowerBook. I used to have VPC on here, but now that school is over for the semester, I've deleted it to save space. The only time I ever needed it was for some school stuff. Anyway before, I did have VPC running Windows 2000 on here, plus of course OS X, and I occasionally boot into Linux using a Live CD. IMO, there's not really a good reason to run Linux on modern hardware, because Mac OS X, being a Unix like OS, does everything Linux does and more.

I do run Linux and Windows XP (dual-boot) on my PC, although I only turn it on maybe once every 3 weeks, if that.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Yessir

Yip I'm running 10.3.9, 9.1, 9.2 and if needs be 8.6. 10.4 in the next two weeks :D

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
im running 10.3.8, 10.4 as far as OS X
Windows XP on one box
SuSE 9
Windows 2003 Server, id love to switch to a Xserve but well this server wasnt cheap. dual 2.8ghz Xeon Processors, 2GB of Ram and 1.5TB of storage, its not getting replaced soon :p if you click my website link thats the same server

Ed

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I've got Tiger on my Mac, but it's accompanied by Xandros (some sort of Linux thingo), Windows 2000 and XP which all run on VPC. I don't actually need any of them but I like to have a look around them everynow and then to see how they work. Usually, they just remind my why I bought a Mac. :D

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
running 4 major OSs, on 3 machines (not exactly what you meant but i can use 3 at the same time - sort of ;))

mini: OS X.3.9
G3: OS 9.2.1 / Debian
PC: XP sp2

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
redeye_be said:
running 4 major OSs, on 3 machines (not exactly what you meant but i can use 3 at the same time - sort of ;))

mini: OS X.3.9
G3: OS 9.2.1 / Debian
PC: XP sp2

He is asking if anyone is running 3 OS's on ONE machine...a PM.

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
Platform said:
He is asking if anyone is running 3 OS's on ONE machine...a PM.
i noticed, that's why i specified using more...
i'm not the first one, let me brag at least a bit plz.

;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.