Anyone running a second OS on their Mac Pro (Linux, Solaris, etc)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by monkeybagel, Jan 25, 2013.

1. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

If so, how does it run? Are the fans kept in check?

Just wondering how it runs in a non-vm/native environment.

Looking for any feedback/discussion.

Thank you.

2. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

running windows without any issues so far, it actually runs better on the mbp any other laptop I have Windows 8.

3. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

slackware/crunchbang/Windows 7 in parallels Fedora native. No issues

4. monkeybagel thread starter macrumors 65816

Will they mess up any of the hybrid GPT tables, etc.? Any particular care when installing onto the same SSD as OS X 10.8?

----------

Also, has any successfully booted a different OS using EFI instead of BIOS emulation on the 2010/12 Mac Pro?

Thanks

5. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Yes Fedora boots natively with Apple's EFI cluster, which is why it's native an not virtualized.

6. monkeybagel thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks - I will give Fedora a try.

Any experience with CentOS?

Thank you

7. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

8. monkeybagel thread starter macrumors 65816

What GPU are you running and version of Fedora are you running? Still tinkering with Fedora 18 and 5870 drivers. Did you have any video driver issues?

Also, did your fans settle down to OS X levels? Mine didn't for the first 10 minutes or so, but finally did and got very quiet. So far I like Fedora 18 - it seems to be a solid release. I have honestly steered clear of it when it branched of from Red Hat many years ago any went with some other distos, and I really like the stability of CentOS for a server and for production. Ubuntu went too commercialized for my taste although I used to thing they were on to something good. Not a fan of their new windowing system. I never have considered myself a heavy linux user but like to stay involved in it.

9. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I have an Apple 5770 and no fan issues but keep in mind I have an old Mac Pro and that maybe why. I started in Fedora 17 and upgraded to 18 which may be another reason I'm not having problems. Fedora has been my go-to OS for a long time (relatively) because it always seems to work on everything I've installed it on. If Fedora doesn't work try Slackware I hear people getting installed native with Grub 2 and Burg.