Anyone running a USB audio interface with the new Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cbrec, Nov 15, 2016.

1. cbrec macrumors newbie

I have the 2016 13" Macbook Pro w/o touch bar. I have a Presonus Audiobox USB interface connected to it. At first I was able to select it in the sound settings and it was working just fine. But when I turned on my MBP earlier, it didn't show up anymore. I've used different cables, adapters, power ons and offs, restarts, and still no luck. I've connected the Audiobox to my old Mac mini and it still works there. So I doubt it's a hardware problem with the interface. Any ideas?

2. Altis macrumors 68020

Sounds strange.

Have you tried connecting it to different ports on the MBP?

3. cbrec thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure did. I've tried both ports with and without the charger connected.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 15, 2016 ---
    I connected the USB-C to a USB 2.0 hub and it works for right now. I recently bought an expensive USB audio interface and went through the same thing. Only difference was it only worked half the time while going through a 2.0 hub on either the new MBP or Mac mini. I thought it was defective so I returned it. But now I'm not sure if the USB-C/TB3 ports might be doing something to these audio interfaces. Anyways, I'd be wary if hooking up a USB audio interface with the new MBP.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

There will likely be a slew of devices with problems going through adapters on the new MBPs and the device makers have every right to claim no responsibility.

5. voxtro macrumors member

Yes, especially as we have no TB3 native device yet that allows a TB3 <-> TB3 connection and then isolated and standard USB, Ethernet, etc. chipsets. The OWC TB3 dock that's coming out in Feb 2017 according to them is one I can think of, but still months away. The other one is the OWC USB C hub that is well made but fairly pricey at >$100.