Anyone running CoD:Modern Warfare 2 on an i5?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by ukdavvy, Dec 2, 2009.

1. ukdavvy macrumors newbie

Hi

I still cant decide which shiny new 27" iMac to buy :)
    (I admit its nice to have these kind of stresses)

Now that MW2 has been out for a little while and the new iMacs a little less Im hoping someone out there has put the 2 together.

Im interested in the performance from Bootcamp, and probably Windows 7 of a UK spec machine which is 2.66Gigs Quad Core, 4GB RAM and the ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB
    If you have an i7 then I guess Id like to know too.....

All comments welcome - preferably from direct experience but guesses and internet here-say will all be listened to :)

Cheers!

PS I already know an XBox or PC at half the cost is the sensible way to play it ;)

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I have a quad i5 with 2.66ghz, 6 GB of RAM, and an ATI 5870 with Windows 7 and it plays wonderfully... granted it's an actual Windows box but hardware wise it's pretty much the same. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work spec wise for ya.

3. ukdavvy thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks for the optimism :)

Ive been out of gaming for years and although Ive had a Mac exclusively for the recent past have never actually run any windows software let alone looked at Bootcamp

Cheers!

4. Zerg macrumors newbie

Is the ATI 5870 the mobility version like in the iMac or is it a dedicated card?

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The 5870 is a desktop card that can power 3 30" monitors. It's one of the newest ones on the market currently.

6. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

The 4850 simply doesn't compare to the 5870.

7. EnigMoiD macrumors member

Well, the 9400m simply doesn't compare to the 4850, but that one plays Modern Warfare 2 acceptably most of the time at 1280*800 with all settings high (no anti-aliasing) on a 13" uMBP 2.53GHz. I play at 960*600 for that extra-smooth gameplay.

With somewhere approaching, if not more than, twice the processing power, and a great graphics card nonetheless, the i5 should blast through Modern Warfare 2. Just don't try to run it in a virtual machine.

That said, I've heard that the i7 is worth the upgrade, considering the power boost. Just depends on what you're doing with it.

8. purplehaze242 macrumors newbie

works very well :)

I've been playing CoD MW2 on my I7 imac for 3 days now, and it's running very very smooth ..( addictive game, especially on that beautiful big screen )

no issues at all.

( of course installed it in Windows Xp, running bootcamp )

cheers,

HJ