Anyone running Leopard with 512MB RAM??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by anti-microsoft, Feb 14, 2008.

1. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

If so, do you find it slow? And again, If so, Should I upgrade my RAM first or after upgrading to Leopard?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

What computer are you using! I would say 512 is not enough for Tiger even. Get 2gigs (at least) and forget about it.

3. acxz macrumors regular

Put simply, it doesn't work. Trying to work in Leopard while running Vista in VMW Fusion as it uses 1.5 of my 2GB of RAM is like wading through an ocean of treacle. Don't even attempt it without adding more RAM (which you should be doing anyway as it's so damn cheap at the moment).

4. one1 macrumors 65816

With a little smart shopping you can bump your machine to 2 gigs of ram for less than the price of a fill up of petrol. You can't argue with that for value.

5. anti-microsoft thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm running a Rev A 1.83GHz MacBook with a 60GB HD and 512MB RAM, I think I'll buy the Ram first (I'll max it out at 2GB) then I'll consider leopard!

Thanks guys!

AMS

6. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

My wife sure is! I put it on her iBook G4 (1.33Mhz, 512MB) and it works fine. Granted she doesn't do anything processor intensive, but it still works fine. Safari is snappy enough and iTunes works great.

However, I have been meaning to upgrade the RAM on that machine.

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Okay, if not 512 MB, then how about 768 MB? I've got an iBook G4 that's currently running Panther. I don't really want to upgrade the hardware but I've got a family pack so I could upgrade the OS. Everything works fine except I get kernel panics every couple days.

Oh, and my son is actually running Leopard on a core solo mini with 512 MB. It's slow, but it works.

8. anti-microsoft thread starter macrumors 68000

I Think I've changed my mind now:D:D!!!

I'm going to buy leopard first. THEN if I find it slow I'll buy more ram... as one1 said:
    And he's exactly right! 40€ for 2GB is a great bargin I think!

9. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Thats a good idea... test it out first and then see how everything runs. If you need more RAM, just go to Crucial.com and order it!

Good Luck!

10. unity macrumors 6502a

Leopard and 256MB of ram :) Ya, its needs more but works well.