anyone running logic on the i7 and could do me a favor?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Ploki, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Ploki macrumors 68040

2. F-Train, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018

F-Train macrumors 65816

I have an i7 arriving this morning and I could run this later today.

Reading through the thread, a couple of questions:

Does the amount of RAM affect the result? I’ll have 8GB today, 32GB in a few days.

Also, does it matter whether one is using the internal GPU or an external one? I could do it both ways, as my computer will be plugged into an AMD Radeon RX 590 (see signature).

It sounds like it doesn’t matter whether the samples and loops are on one’s internal drive or an external drive. Again, I could do it both ways.

It would be interesting if a few people with minis would do this.

3. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68040

I'm getting a BTO so its not gonna arrive for weeks, i'd very much like to see the result before i pull the trigger.

(i would also appreciate if you did the Evan's benchmark.)

When i load this project, logic uses 1,3GB of RAM, so i think amount of RAM shouldn't matter.
    For reference, my refunded i9 scored ~70ish on the new test, and 200ish on the evan's.

imo, the mac mini i7 should do better.

4. F-Train, Nov 29, 2018

F-Train macrumors 65816

I amended my post. What about the graphics card and samples? There’s some discussion about graphics cards in the thread.

Where is Evan’s benchmark?

5. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68040

gpu is irrelevant iirc - i got the same track counts if using discrete or integrated GPU

here is the evan benchmark:
    http://www.evan.se/logicprobenchmark/Logic_Multicore_Benchmark_Test.html

6. F-Train macrumors 65816

OK. I'm just getting the computer up and running. Will get to this later tonight or first thing in the morning. I'm kind of interested in the result myself.

7. Ptyger macrumors member

Ptyger

I was able to get 84 tracks to run reliably i7/32/256

8. F-Train, Nov 29, 2018

F-Train macrumors 65816

OK, I've done this a couple of times now. Playing from the beginning through all 32 bars and ensuring that it loops back, I get 88 tracks. My mini is an i7, 512GB SSD with currently 8GB of RAM.

I've just installed this instance of Logic, so it has whatever settings come out of the box.

It may well be irrelevant, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that I have this machine set up with the GPU arrangement stated in my signature.

I've downloaded Evan's test, which I'll run in the morning.

9. F-Train, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018

F-Train macrumors 65816

Hi Ploki,

I'm getting a message that Evan's test requires downloading of additional content. I don't know what content and I'm trying to maintain some control over samples for this installation of Logic, so I'm going to leave it at the test you originally asked for.

10. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68040

Thank you very much, no need anyway - 88 is 18 tracks more than my previous i9 pulled off, so roughly 30% more, i suspect evan will reflect that too.
    Which is actually very good, considering the Mini is *much* cheaper than the i9.

Nice to see another Focal user - I'm rocking the Twin 6's