Anyone running OS 4.0 on 3Gs having WiFi issues?

Gromet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
Hey there all, I installed os 4.0 on my 3GS and everything seems to be working fine except my WiFi. It askes for my password, I enter it and it says "Unable to join"?>????

2 Laptops, 2 iPads and my wife's iPhone are all on the wireless? I know the password is correct....

WTF????

..Gromet

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
It's almost as if it's a dev preview that's going to be prone to bugs and not a final golden master copy.

Strange that.

Try re-installing. Might help, if not, it's an early build, it's to be expected that it's not going to be 100% there otherwise we'd all have a lovely update waiting for us the next time we plugged our iPhones into iTunes.

bitslap47

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2007
Hey there all, I installed os 4.0 on my 3GS and everything seems to be working fine except my WiFi. It askes for my password, I enter it and it says "Unable to join"?>????

2 Laptops, 2 iPads and my wife's iPhone are all on the wireless? I know the password is correct....

WTF????

..Gromet
Yes. WiFi is broken for me. 3GS, Linksys dual band router running dd-wrt. Fine with everything else including iPad. Was fine prior to 4.0. even with Setup as new phone and no restore.

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
I'm having the same problem. I can't login into my wifi network at all. But, it connects the the wifi network at my Mom's house without any problems.

bornonjuly4

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2010
Same issue here

I have a Linksys Plain vanilla Firmware WRT110 router setup with WPA2. Keep getting message "Unable to Join <SSID>"

Carlson-online

macrumors member
May 27, 2004
Can't connect to my home network (Wireless N - DLink DIR655)
Can connect at work to our Cisco Wireless G Network.
Can't connect at work to out DLink Wireless N Network.

So maybe the problem as something to do with Wireless N (or DLink stuff ? ).

Both N networks have a b/g fallback

bornonjuly4

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2010
Found A solution to wifi issues.

Looks like the OS 4.0 has IPV6 set to automatic. Disabled this settting and changed the home wireless network from Mixed Mode to Wireless G only. Now the wifi seems to connect fine.

I didn't test this with Wireless N only as my router (Cisco WRT110) always seems to have problems in this mode.

:)

mservidio

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2009
Looks like the OS 4.0 has IPV6 set to automatic. Disabled this settting and changed the home wireless network from Mixed Mode to Wireless G only. Now the wifi seems to connect fine.

I didn't test this with Wireless N only as my router (Cisco WRT110) always seems to have problems in this mode.

I was having this same issues, and this has resolved some of the Wifi issues instantly.

andybno1

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
I'm on a 3G phone and had wifi issues, I restored and then restored from backup and when I ran echofon and facebook even though I had a wifi signal full bars it kept saying my wifi had gone offline (which I knew it hadn't) but after a few tries I think it's working properly now

hoits2000

macrumors member
May 21, 2008
NW Indiana
Thanks guys!! This fixed it for me. Even with beta 2 problem still is there, bypassed it with this fix. Same router Cisco 110.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.

Where is this setting to change IPV6 to auto in the iPhone? Are you talking about the router?

mbonfig

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
Same Issue

Exact same thing happened to me after i upgraded my 3G to 4.0. At week or so later i upgraded to 4.0.1 thinking it might resolve the issue and at that point it got worse as it no longer even sees my wifi (or any wifi) SSID. I've searched on the web and seeing MANY other reports of this issue along with other problems. The only response that I have seen is that "Apple is investigating..." ... I really don't think that Apple is taking this seriously (or perhaps it part of a bigger plan???). I'll live this the problem until my cellular contract is up for renewal (~2 months). If it isn't resolved at that point my plan to move to another product ...

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
My ip4 has same issue on 4.0, it comes and goes. Sometimes it'll keep asking for my password, I enter it (correctly) still says it's wrong, or unable to join. Never had this on my 3GS pre 4.0. Must be a 4.0 thing.