Anyone running Windows 7 instead of OSX on their MBPs?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by HyperX13, Dec 21, 2009.

1. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

I started with bootcamp. I noticed myself using windows 7 more and more. Now I am pretty much on Windows 7 all the time. Anyone else do that? I still like OSX, but Windows 7 seems snappier when it comes to surfing the web (especially web sites that deal in lots of Java scripting and heavy graphics).

Anyone else in my camp?

2. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

It's a shame that you spent all that money on a Macbook Pro to primarily run Windows 7. I think perhaps the main attraction of any Mac is OS X. That and the design.
    And isn't Safari like the fastest browser when running Java script? I'd have a hard time believing that Windows 7 was any faster. What browser are you using?

3. HyperX13 thread starter macrumors 6502

I use Firefox primarily because of the plugins (like Xmarks and yes I know Xmarks works with Safari now). I am not running Windows 7 on purpose. In other words, when I bought my Mac Book pro, only Vista was out and that OS was a HOG and it just blew. Most of my computing is cloud based. My business runs using the paid version of google apps, we run sugarsync and evernote for document syncs and documentation as well as online version of quickbooks for accounting. All those apps run much faster when I am running Windows 7. Although OSX does boot up faster than Windows 7 on the mac book pro (with my SSD drive).

4. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I had my MacBook Pro running Windows 7 alone for a week in order to give it a real good try-out. I must say that I was sorely tempted to have Win 7 as my only OS (I had Professional 64-bit running on it), but the lack of good organisational apps such as Address Book, iCal, Mail (I know Windows Live Mail does those two, but it sucks) and iSync was a serious deal breaker.

Windows 7 is certainly a massive improvement over Vista (and XP, in my opinion) and it performs beautifully on a MacBook Pro, but it didn't quite feel right on a Mac.

The brightness would always reset to maximum whenever the thing changed resolutions or turned off the screen and turned it on again (e.g. sleep), which drove me nuts. Also, I found that the 'palm rejection' feature of the trackpad didn't work, so the cursor would fly around whenever I typed anything. Battery life was also shot and the machine ran hot all the time. Plugged in, however, it was great for gaming and so on.

Those reasons (and a few more I won't go into) reminded me of why I bought a Mac in the first place. It also reminded me that Macs really are designed to work with Mac OS primarily. I had Snow Leopard fully backed up because I knew I'd probably go back eventually.

I'm happy to say that I dipped my toes in the other pool, but I'm glad back with Snow Leopard and its issue-free integration with my Mac's hardware and features. :)

5. HyperX13 thread starter macrumors 6502

This is exactly why I love OSX. Apple's mail utility that syncs with my google apps account works and searches SOO much faster than Windows 7 one. I also like the address book and calendar and how all of it syncs with google apps. The search on Mac OS is faster as well. This is such a tug of war for me! I love OSX and here I am using the damn Windows!

6. melman101 macrumors 68030

Never. The main reason I own a MBP is because of OSX. I am very happy without Windows, and think OSX blows Windows 7 out of the water in terms of speed and reliability. Also, having to run an anti-virus program has got to take up some resources in Windows 7.

7. HyperX13 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have never ran anti virus on my Windows 7 64 bit on my Macbook or my HP desktop. I am not sure if I am playing with fire or not, but so far so good.

8. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I use both. The Win7 side for work and sometimes games. Rest of the time I'm in OSX.

9. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

No, not anymore. OS X missed the opportunity to become a mass operating system - thanks to its stupid, stubborn, restrictive EULA. There was a small time frame when OS X could have taken Windows' place, at least in the consumer area, and that was during the rather short Vista area where everybody was displeased with that version of Windows. Now with Windows 7 Microsoft is shipping the most user friendly version of Windows ever, and it's more compatible (with the rest of the world), robust and faster than Snow Leopard.

The only reason to buy a Mac now is when you really, really want to have that designer hardware on your lap or desk. Software-wise, unless you're a user of the three big Apple Pro applications Final Cut, Logic Pro or Aperture, there is zero reason to switch from a PC to a Mac.

Unlike what Apple's marketing machinery wants you make believe, there are counterparts for everything the small Apple software market has to offer, and you can run it on machines that only cost a fraction of what a Mac costs. I just saw a Quad Core AMD Phenom machine for 500 bucks with an ATI graphics card with 1 GB of video memory. At Apple, customizable machines with that horse power begin beyond the 2300 Euros price tag. And I doubt that the Mac Pro would be really that faster.

So, no - it's only the design and the designers' love for details why you purchase a Mac. There's nothing wrong with that. Apple sells good PCs. A bit pricey, but nice.

10. melman101 macrumors 68030

My advice, don't get a virus. Otherwise all that hard work your doing on your computer could potentially be lost. And that's why I use OSX :).

11. melman101 macrumors 68030

I disagree. I still don't think Windows 7 is as friendly as OS X. I buy Macs for OSX. And I can assure you, a ton of people do the same as well. If OSX was available for every computer, then I might not own a MBP right now.

And yes, I had run OSX on a non Mac. And it is quite a chore to keep it stable and running smoothly.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Are you seriously suggesting that in the cycle of ONE OS, the entire market had the time to shift over to a whole different OS? Come on man, use your brain!

I won't even go into the the aspect of the business world being entrenched in Windows.

13. HyperX13 thread starter macrumors 6502

I might load Avast. It's free and supposed to be good. :)

14. melman101 macrumors 68030

Avast is actually very good, and that's what I use when I load into Windows 7.

15. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

This whole post is so insulting and condescending to most Mac users. I've been using Macs exclusively for 13 years. I have NEVER bought a Mac because of how fancy it looks, that's just stupid. It's always been about the Mac OS. My apps have to run on it ya know. It's not like I'm buying a Mac to pretty up my house. :rolleyes:

16. brendu macrumors 68020

I have'nt put win7 on my mbp, but i have it on my htpc and i have to say i love it for that. I've been using it pretty much every day since the original beta release came out... never installed any antivirus, and i have not had one problem with spyware, viruses, or any of it... no bugs... it just works. I cant say it works better than a mac for anything but i would say it works just as well, for what its used for yes (hulu, firefox, netflix)...

all that said.. my imac and mbp are 100% my go to computers when i need to get anything done... they work better together and as a mac user i am just more comfortable with a mac.

17. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

No...

18. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I love how you basically humiliated yourself with your lack of knowledge about computers and technology. My comments, or rather, corrections to incorrect statements are in red above.

Conclusion: I think PCs and Macs fill different niches of the computer market. PCs are cheaper and you can sacrifice in certain areas that doesn't matter to you (aesthetics, speakers, LCD panel) on stuff that does (CPU, WLAN card). Macs are a complete system, you buy, open, and use. You don't have to worry about a cheap FW card or USB ports failing because it costs less. It's just good all around.

19. melman101 macrumors 68030

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not me, while I now have win7 on my mbp, its primarily for work. I've been playing with it now for a bit and I'm underwhelmed. I don't understand all of the hype since it is just windows, with all of its inherit weaknesses and problems. There are still tons of viruses and malware. The registry is still a single point of failure and the UAC is still a pain (though Ms did tone it down).

Its not a bad OS, but I do think OSX is a much more stable, faster performing better functioning OS. Ms already admitted that they copied OSX, why get a bland copy instead of the real deal ;)

Overall I think win7 will be a huge success for MS, I don't think its a better OS then OSX or even Linux for that matter.

Just my $.02

21. MikeSantor macrumors regular

It was Adolph Hitler that said if you say something loud enough and long enough you can have the masses believing whatever you want.

If Microsoft runs enough commercials saying 7 is the best OS ever made sooner or later there are going to be a bunch of mindless people running around saying "Windows 7 is the best operating system i have ever used!!!" with no real reason to say it...

22. HyperX13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Personally I have only seen one Windows 7 commercial and probably 20+ mac commercials. I still think Mac OS has a lot of good features, but I am finding myself use Windows 7 more and more.

23. MikeSantor macrumors regular

If you honestly have only seen 1, thats cool but i have personally been bombarded with them. It seems like everywhere I turn its Win7 ads...

24. darkus macrumors regular

I use windows almost exclusively, but thats because my MBP is my work workhorse and i find windows7 to be much more efficient when it comes to getting work done. osx is better for casual use and as a toy or playing with videos. for serious work, windows is still generally more efficient IMO, but it is ugly as sin.

25. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Hmmm, for me it's just the opposite. I use OS X for all my work (except the 2 apps that only run in Winodws and for those I use VMware Fusion and Windows 7).

My bootcamp Windows 7 partition is only for games and has no business apps at all, no office, and only the acrobat reader.

Cheers,