Anyone running windows on the rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DTF, Jun 15, 2012.

1. DTF macrumors member

I'm mostly interested in windows 7 running in Parallels on the new rMBP. Or even Fusion. It's time for an upgrade but I really need to be able to run windows in a VM. I like the new rMBP but the screen isn't really that necessary, more of a plus. I need performance mostly, but I don't want it to be obsolete quicker than it normally would be.

2. jimmyz80 macrumors member

I run Windows 7 under Fusion. Works great aside from some resolution switching glitches that I'm sure will be worked out. It's FAST too, way faster than running the same VM on my 13" Air from less than a year ago.

3. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

I ran Windows 7 on Parallels today. It is blazing fast. Opened up in less than 3 seconds.

4. DTF thread starter macrumors member

So no resolution issues? It thinks it's running on a 1440x900 display?

5. jimmyz80 macrumors member

Mine kept trying to auto switch into 3840x2400, which is what Fusion "thinks" the OS resolution is because of the way Apple does the scaling. I had to go into the VM and force it into the correct resolution, and it also worked fine in Unity mode.

6. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

Works great in coherence.

7. leenak macrumors 68020

I know the recommendation would be to just make a dedicated partition but how feasible is it to run games in a VM such as in Parallels? I'd be willing to take a performance hit to do so.

8. jimmyz80 macrumors member

The disk IO would probably be faster than most traditional hard disks, but video performance would probably be bad. I've never tried it, but video acceleration with VMs hasn't exactly evolved much.

9. zainiak macrumors regular

im using windows 8 dev preview in bootcamp and it runs amazingly. probably better than mac os does. It is perfect after installing the bootcamp drivers