Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BluAffiliate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Probably will still end up buying because no other machine comes close to what I am used to and want.

Reactions: laz232

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Yes all my stuff is Apple, but it seems the the more I spend the worse my life gets. If I let my 2014 MBP go for an upgrade I'll lose my SD Card slot and life gets a little slower and more awkward.

I'll just have to string this machine out for as long as possible until it totally packs in before having to deal with another Apple related headache.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Anyone sad at MBP being bad but there's no alternative?

Probably will still end up buying because no other machine comes close to what I am used to and want.
Why do you think the latest crop of MacBook Pros are "bad" if there is nothing else? To what are you comparing them when you say "bad"?
Is this based on real world usage or just your own (unrealistically high?) expectations?

What is this gold standard that you hold the computing world to? There are very decent machines out in the Windows world. Granted, they don't run Mac OS, but they are decently specced and very competitively priced.

I have a 2017 model.
Do you genuinely need to buy a 2018 model?

If the latest specs don't bring much if anything exciting or useful for you then if I were you, I'd wait till next year.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
You can always run windows or linux. Both are capable operating systems and run on every PC out there, or you can build.

No need to stay in the walled garden. I left that with the iPhone 4 and found the world outside is much more interesting.

Reactions: arkitect

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I have a 2016 nTB and I'm quite happy, but I also feel like I 'got in' at the perfect time: start of a design, base model, AC, and with KB fiasco I have a 4th year coverage on that so I am good until end of 2020 and end of 2019 for all other parts/problems

I really like a lot of things about my laptop, but I would feel weird hunkering down now not knowing what's around the bend

Most curious about the next full iteration of laptops, ANOTHER redesign, whenever that is (probably not until 2020 at the earliest but..)

kramjam

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
California
The ecosystem, build quality, and reliability are still king. Those GPU choices in the 15" however, not so much. Time to hold out yet again, as I already know I'll feel buyer's remorse with a $3,000 computer that barely has any graphics improvement over last year.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
I agree the Touch Bar models are crap
They made too many compromises on the keyboard just for thinner Not to mention the other problems they have

Which is OK for the standard user but the pro market wants fatter (within reason) with bigger batteries, High powered hardware and preferably upgradable hardware.

I know I wasn’t the only one who when the 2012 retina came out wanted them to instead not Solder The ram and CPU and while they’re at it double the battery.
Which they could do if they put it in an enclosure the same thickness as the 2012 non-retina MacBook pro
But we put up with the lack of expandability
We put up with the slightly less key travel versus the 2011
We even put up with the lack of ethernet jack

So we were already making concessions with the current retina’s
Which are now the best laptops apples ever made because Apple keeps doubling down on making thier computers worse.

The Touch Bar models were step too far in many respects
When my retina MacBook Pro 2012 started to crater my only logical upgrade path was the top-of-the-line 2015 rmbp
Most of the other Macs in my home and office are being slowly being replaced with Hackintoshes if not just windows

Truthfully I was hoping the 2018 didn’t happen and 2019 they announced A refresh, they could even do it alongside the Mac Pro refresh

kodos

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2010
In a way ... the reason I just ordered a new MBP is solely for developing iOS apps. I am a bit trapped. Otherwise, my Surface Book 2 has been a fantastic device and I wish I could work on iOS apps in it. But I cannot, so I need a Macbook Pro.

But then again, the machine is fantastic, except for the keyboard, touchbar replacing the F-keys, and the Apple tax. I expect that I will enjoy it if I can get past the KB/TB.

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
I kind of miss swiping volume and brightness, scrubbing songs and video on my MacBook 12". Ordered a new 2018 15" now, and it will be sent to me around 1.august.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Nope, I am not sad because Apple is not holding me hostage. If their prices are out of my price range, I will do all I can to take my business elsewhere. I'll be very sad to leave the Macbook ecosystem but I'll live with it and hopefully save some bucks along the way.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

BluAffiliate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
In a way ... the reason I just ordered a new MBP is solely for developing iOS apps. I am a bit trapped. Otherwise, my Surface Book 2 has been a fantastic device and I wish I could work on iOS apps in it. But I cannot, so I need a Macbook Pro.

But then again, the machine is fantastic, except for the keyboard, touchbar replacing the F-keys, and the Apple tax. I expect that I will enjoy it if I can get past the KB/TB.
Can you Hackintosh it?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There's plenty of alternatives. I particularly like the Razer computer. It has beautiful lines, its solid, and well made, nicely built. Its great. Then there's Lenovo, Dell, Asus makes great computers. The MSI offers a nicely design laptop as well.

Apple does not hold the exclusive on laptops, and there are plenty of others in various price points that offer better specs, or design then the Mac.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
There's plenty of alternatives. I particularly like the Razer computer. It has beautiful lines, its solid, and well made, nicely built. Its great. Then there's Lenovo, Dell, Asus makes great computers. The MSI offers a nicely design laptop as well.

Apple does not hold the exclusive on laptops, and there are plenty of others in various price points that offer better specs, or design then the Mac.

I agree there are lots of alternatives [except in the design category, nothing beats Apple]. The Razor is the only one I think comes close, but still no cigar as there is no razor store for me to pop to if / when things go wrong. I have built up a great relationship with my guy in the local Apple store and he makes sure I am looked after all the time. No other brand offers this still, and there lies a key reason to my brand loyalty.

Microsoft devices are probably the only computers I would buy as I can deal with the business teams at the store in Sydney.

As we have said loads of times though no point thinking Apple are going to change direction, they won't. So if things like an SD card slot were so essential to my work flow, and would be jumping ship if I was the OP. It is never going to return into the MBP.

Reactions: HenryDJP

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The Razor is the only one I think comes close, but still no cigar as there is no razor store for me to pop to if / when things go wrong
I actually bought the Razer and returned it. There was a lot I liked about it, that machine was well made. I returned it, in the hopes that apple was going to release the 2018 MBP sooner then later, and boom they did :) I was probably one day away from re-purchasing the Razer, when Apple unveiled their MBPs, talk about a close shave (yes a razer pun)

For my needs, staying in the apple ecosystem is a major incentive, but I do think about re-buying the razer, but since my family has their heart set on a new MBP, they'd kill me if I don't come home with a new MBP.

As for support, that's going to be the case for many makers, unless you bought the laptop at bestbuy or the microsoft store. I totally get what you're saying, and apple's support channel, is definitely a solid advantage.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
I actually bought the Razer and returned it. There was a lot I liked about it, that machine was well made. I returned it, in the hopes that apple was going to release the 2018 MBP sooner then later, and boom they did :) I was probably one day away from re-purchasing the Razer, when Apple unveiled their MBPs, talk about a close shave (yes a razer pun)

For my needs, staying in the apple ecosystem is a major incentive, but I do think about re-buying the razer, but since my family has their heart set on a new MBP, they'd kill me if I don't come home with a new MBP.

As for support, that's going to be the case for many makers, unless you bought the laptop at bestbuy or the microsoft store. I totally get what you're saying, and apple's support channel, is definitely a solid advantage.

the razor hackintoshes alright, you basically loose out on thunderbolt hotplugging and the built in Nvida card for now but if you can use intergrated graphics on the go and a EGPU when not it works out alright.

not to mention due to it being one of the more Apple-esque laptops many people are working on trying to get rid of those last two hurdles .

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The ecosystem, build quality, and reliability are still king. Those GPU choices in the 15" however, not so much. Time to hold out yet again, as I already know I'll feel buyer's remorse with a $3,000 computer that barely has any graphics improvement over last year.

There haven’t been any new laptop GPUs in the last 2.5 years... at all. Both large companies are just rebranding their 2-3 year old tech. I know, it’s annoying, but Apple is not the only one that has to deal with it.

Reactions: haruhiko

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
I'm glad I bought my new "2015" MBp last year. 4 USB C ports is useless for me. I much rather have at least one USB A, the SD slot & magsafe.
I had a Dell work laptop. Basically similar to what a Map should be. One USB C, 2 USB A, a SD slot, 4k screen and about the same size as MBp. But, no OS X or magsafe. Pretty good computer, but has its issues. Most of the time its plugged into a dock station via USB C. One issue with that, is that the cable is too short about 12".

Seems like a lot of people would like a 2018 version of the 2015, but replace the Thunderbolt ports with USB C.
And throw in the touch id.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Don't know what's the problem everyone has with the MBP. The latest update is really great in terms of hardware. Even the troubled keyboard now feels much better to type on, I mean it. The tactile feedback has improved a lot and it's quiet to type on.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I would bet that there are a lot of people that will adapt (see what I did there) to these 2018 models just fine and love them. I made a hackintosh instead, but that is not for everyone. I think they are legit machines. The eGPU is more of a solution than we ever had back in the day. The GPUs on the 15s are as behind as they always are. Most people will buy then and love them just fine.

cfdlab

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I am reluctantly buying the 2018 model because I am not ready to switch to linux suddenly. The loss of function keys and escape key is probably the biggest thing that bothers me. I will get another laptop, probably T480s, and start my way back to linux. I am a prof doing scientific computing as my main work and have a complex workflow that is great on the macbook. I have to find alternatives to all of them on linux which will take some time. Sadly linux on laptop is still not as smooth as a macbook.

I have to work with different types of computers and current MBP makes this difficult. Just the keyboard feeling so different will make it painful to work on different types of keyboards.

Currently I am on my second iMac but wont be getting another one next time. I think Linux on desktop is fine and a lot more value for money.

Reactions: laz232

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
Why do you think the latest crop of MacBook Pros are "bad" if there is nothing else? To what are you comparing them when you say "bad"?

compared to our pre-2016 models: a full compliment of ports, usable without without docks/adapters at meetings, with good battery life, not at the whim of some gfx card flareup, and considering the price/performance.

Going through my receipts for 2010, 2011, and 2013 MBP15 (hi-res), MBA13, rMBP13 purchases all were ~1500-1800 USD (converted, including 25% sales tax here). I've just pulled the trigger on a similar 2018 MBP15 16GB/512GB SSD and it's 3700 USD (TWICE the price) and I need a bunch of dongles for getting my work done... that smarts...

Last edited:
Reactions: arkitect
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.