Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I am pretty certain I'm legally insane based on all my cell phone buying/selling etc. I go through multiple phones per year, including Android devices but I always go back to an iPhone. I lose money doing this but not a ton since I buy them early when they are still popular and can return for a full refund or sell at a small loss. In the end what I'm doing is pretty nuts. I use my cell phone for some pretty basic stuff; surfing the net, instagram, twitter, reddit, taking pics, radio etc...

I thought to myself just now, what in the world am I doing! Maybe I should just forget Android, forget the iPhone X, forget the 8+, 8, 7, 7+ etc...and get a $200 SE and use my money and time more wisely haha

Yes, I can afford what I do but it takes a lot of time and effort to get the latest and greatest of all devices.

Anyone out there just said, the heck with it and drop out of the early adopter buy / sell / return / trade game and get a cheap phone whether it's a $200 SE or some cheap Android?

roxysdad

macrumors member
May 19, 2005
I am pretty certain I'm legally insane based on all my cell phone buying/selling etc. I go through multiple phones per year, including Android devices but I always go back to an iPhone. I lose money doing this but not a ton since I buy them early when they are still popular and can return for a full refund or sell at a small loss. In the end what I'm doing is pretty nuts. I use my cell phone for some pretty basic stuff; surfing the net, instagram, twitter, reddit, taking pics, radio etc...

I thought to myself just now, what in the world am I doing! Maybe I should just forget Android, forget the iPhone X, forget the 8+, 8, 7, 7+ etc...and get a $200 SE and use my money and time more wisely haha

Yes, I can afford what I do but it takes a lot of time and effort to get the latest and greatest of all devices.

Anyone out there just said, the heck with it and drop out of the early adopter buy / sell / return / trade game and get a cheap phone whether it's a $200 SE or some cheap Android?
I do actually. Buddy at work once described me as a technology tourist. St times it’s fun but to what end? An iPhone SE is one of the best phones I ever had. Did all I wanted and more, and fit nicely in my pocket. I think of going back to it all the time.

Reactions: blkjedi954

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
You are not alone. I'm a X owner and contemplating it right now. Although it would be probably be smart right now to wait until the SE 2 is or isn't announced. As per the Macrumors Buying Guide.

As to why anyone would consider the 'downgrade' -- based on your usage, you may be good enough with Apple's mid-ranger and save some $ in the process. Plus the SE form factor is godly. The SE has always been a solid choice because of what it offers.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
No, the screen is laughably small.

Isn't that the point of the SE? That it is supposed to have a smaller display for those who don't care about having a larger iPhone display to begin with? There are those who don't care about the SE display and rather sacrifice that in place of having comfortability.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

I like the SE and have friends who have it and love it but for me the screen/keyboard is too small. It is a nice iPhone and feels great in the hands.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
As much as I love my X, the SE always holds a special place in my heart. There have been times were I'm tempted to swap SIM cards and use the SE, but I love my X way too much to do that (yet).

Like the OP, I used to buy phones just to test them out and see how I liked them (mainly Android). But finally realized that I'm way too engrained in the Apple ecosystem. And quite frankly I like iOS better (even if I do like the customization aspect of Android).

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I've gotten used to 4.7" iPhones already. Granted, I do appreciate going back to 4" iPhones every now and then (I use a 5s as my travel phone).

That said, there's no reason I need to upgrade every year. I'm quite content with my iPhone 7 so I'll probably just spring for a battery replacement when battery life deteriorates. I find mid-range devices quite capable nowadays that I don't feel the need to get top of the line anymore. And really, only reason I even have the 7 was because it was practically free after iPhone 6 trade-in.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Nope had to use an se for 3 weeks while I waited for my x to come in the mail. I hated it. Battery life was **** screen was terribly small. And I hate the 5 body.

pike.and.pine

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2017
I like the SE and have friends who have it and love it but for me the screen/keyboard is too small. It is a nice iPhone and feels great in the hands.

This. I previously had the SE (and 5 before that) and typing on that small screen is prone to more typos and that was annoying. However I loved the overall size, form factor and preferred the chamfered edge design over the 6/7/8 series. I now got the X and gave the SE to my Dad who appreciates the size smaller than the old Galaxy S4 he had been using for a year.

I will wait for the updated SE or whatever 4-inch model they’ll release and I might pick that one up as a second phone for travel use.

Reactions: pakupakuman

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland

I can relate to this post a lot. I usually pre-order the "latest and greatest". However, this year after trying out the Pixel 2 I returned to an iPhone. But instead of getting the 8, 8+ or X I picked up a new 6s for $300. So far I've been happy with the 6s and not caught up in having the latest iPhone. It feels like I have a simple/basic device which is probably what I needed. Since my usage is basic like yours, I'd say that I don't need a flagship phone. I'll see how long I can hang onto this though as it has only been about a month.

I did consider the SE, but since I was able to get a new 6s for $300 I felt that was an excellent price and a better phone for me than the SE. The SE is an overall amazing device, but it's just too small at this point in my opinion.

Makayla

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2016
I think most average people are like that and I am one of them. Never really need the latest technology and usually prefer second or even third gen products.

I do enjoy reading up on gadgets though.

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
Nope had to use an se for 3 weeks while I waited for my x to come in the mail. I hated it. Battery life was **** screen was terribly small. And I hate the 5 body.

SE has basically the best battery life among all iPhonesit,with proper usage it gives better battery or just as good as the plus models . Smaller screen + A9 = battery monster.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
I’ve had the iPhone 5/SE form factor since 2012. I just bought an X. I’m loving it. I completely skipped the iPhone 6 to 8 form factor and it definitely feels nice to use a bigger screen. It feels so small and weird using the smaller iPhone SE now.
But it’s probably the best small smartphone out there and so powerful.

Battery life is crap on the SE now. Don’t listen when people say iPhone SE battery life is great. They are liars. It was great when it came out but now it’s not very good. It used to be great on iOS 9 and 10. That’s a fact.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
SE has basically the best battery life among all iPhonesit,with proper usage it gives better battery or just as good as the plus models . Smaller screen + A9 = battery monster.
Hmm the 3 I had was complete shi* worse battery ever. I had to charge 3 times a day. Maybe it was cause I had to have it on iOS 11 idk tho.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I think most average people are like that and I am one of them. Never really need the latest technology and usually prefer second or even third gen products.

I do enjoy reading up on gadgets though.

And that's exactly what the iPhone SE offers, it's a phone that doesn't need to incorporate the latest technology to appeal to a certain demographic that wants a smaller form factor with a 4 inch display.

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
Hmm the 3 I had was complete shi* worse battery ever. I had to charge 3 times a day. Maybe it was cause I had to have it on iOS 11 idk tho.

I have a back up (actually 2 now that my dad isn't using his). I always have to charge my phones once I am on bed. SE easily lasts me a day and half. Your phone had some issue. That's not normal.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
I have a back up (actually 2 now that my dad isn't using his). I always have to charge my phones once I am on bed. SE easily lasts me a day and half. Your phone had some issue. That's not normal.

My SE and that guys SE DOES NOT have an issue. Quit trying to justify the SE has great battery life just coz yours run great m. My SE battery used to last 2 days when it was new and in iOS 9 and 10. SE battery isn’t what it used to be now. when it came out nearly 2 years ago man it was amazing

Reactions: Brandonjr36

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
The SE is peak iPhone as far as I’m concerned. I’ve been using the iPhone exclusively since the 3G in 2008, and I’m way past the point of caring whether the particular model I’m using is a millisecond faster at opening an email or has the best colour gamut etc - the SE is way fast enough, the screen is perfectly good enough while still being a practical and very pocketable size the way a phone should be, the camera is fine for what it is (and that’s all that can be said for ANY iPhone camera), the battery life is good, 128gb is ample storage, and my motivation to pay £££ more for any other model is precisely zero.

Sciomar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2017
I made the SE my device of choice after the 5S and have been holding out for an SE upgrade, for my own use it is the best version by far they've released. I don't stare at my phone for hours on end during the work day though, that's what my ipad or computer at home are for.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I had another thought this morning. I like using iOS and Android and like having the latest and greatest. Currently have an X and just returned a Pixel 2 XL. I could probably pick up a used iPhone 7 plus and get a new Pixel 2 for the same price as my X haha, maybe I should go that route.

See what kind of addiction I have? lol

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
If you had 3 SE units and all had bad battery performance, it is likely not the phone but the user. Most I know who use the SE can go a long time without charging.
Calling, texting and using Facebook is bad user?? Cause that’s all I could do on that small ass screen. Left in low power mode and brightness down as well cause I didn’t want to be connected a charger all the time.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
Calling, texting and using Facebook is bad user?? Cause that’s all I could do on that small ass screen. Left in low power mode and brightness down as well cause I didn’t want to be connected a charger all the time.
Not sure why you’re persisting with this. The SE is renowned for great battery life, largely as a result of that “small ass screen”. Your whole line here is about as credible as Trump.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.