Anyone "Scalping"?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bigdog5142, Apr 10, 2015.

1. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

I know people frown upon this here...but wondering if anyone here bought an extra watch to sell on eBay. If so...what are you getting for it?

2. Quahog macrumors member

Some people have some listed on eBay. I think I might make myself a fake eBay account to interfere with those listings.

To the moon with fake Apple Watch bids!!!!!!!

3. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I live three hours from my nearest Apple Store, so I bought one of both sizes with the intent to either sell the other to a friend or return it. I'd be fine selling it for what I bought it for, but... if by the time I get it prices are still pretty high on eBay I would be tempted to just do that.

4. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

I didn't buy a watch specifically to sell, but since my SS black was given a vague June date, I also ordered a SS with black sport band (which is still mid May) that I will wear for a month (and if I like it a lot, then I might just keep it and cancel my SS black order). Otherwise, when my ss black finally gets here then I'd sell the SS which would be slightly used.

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I love how people who lust for capitalist goods (notice you don't see too many Apple-esque companies in Russia) get all communist when it comes to resellers.

6. Quahog macrumors member

I'll admit it... you do have a point. I personally don't like the scalpers, and I don't understand the people that will actually pay those prices. Nor do I understand people willing to wait in line for 4 days on a new product launch.

To each their own....

7. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

After I was able to easily get mine and my wife's WATCHes using the Apple Store app and Pay within seconds of each other at the stroke of 3AM ET, I was still unsure if it would really sell out, and was tempted to go back a few more times and grab a couple more.

But I was so exhausted by this time, I was just happy to get mine, so I went right to bed. Waking up several hours later and reading all the extended wait times (and my brother telling me he's got a June ship date after preordering at 7AM), I have to admit, I wish I did buy a couple more, at least to help out and/or make a couple bucks.

8. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

Not everyone has the same income... some will pay a convenience tax... just like Deli prices vs. Grocery store prices.

9. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

I ordered just one and I still have a ship date of 4/24-5/8. If they prices get that crazy I'll sale it. I didn't buy it to scalp or even buy extras. But at the end of the day I'll be happy to make enough that it pays for my next watch and I just wait until summer to get it.

I don't feel bad about it. I didn't buy it to scalp and didn't buy extras. Woke up this morning to see the lack of supply and my plans might just end up changing.

10. vishalc macrumors regular

vishalc

How will eBay scalpers be at an advantage? Someone who wants the backordered sport models might as well settle for Stainless Steel if they are gonna pay such a premium. And, anyways, it will take a day or two for the scalpers to ship the watches even if they get them on the 24th, so it's not going to be so fast.

I guess the advantage could also be for the gold editions.

11. bribri99 macrumors regular

Look, apple can easily fix this issue. Make enough of them and/or decrease prices. Otherwise there will always be a shadow market

12. technosix macrumors 6502a

There's scalpers everywhere, nothing new it's merely a fact of life. I don't care about them.

13. Fynd macrumors 6502

I ordered both the sport and the stainless because I didn't have my mind made up yet. I still don't. If there's a ridiculous shortage it'll be hard to just cancel the order for the one I decide against when I could sell it and get more money towards the one I keep. Cancelling an order likely wouldn't affect anyone else getting theirs sooner.

That being said, the idea of being the greasy guy reselling for a profit doesn't seem to great. We'll see.

14. totten76 macrumors regular

totten76

If I don't like it and can sell it for more than I paid for it. I will

15. bigdog5142 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

I'll take the flaming, I suppose. I bought two 42mm Space Grey Sport and already sold one on eBay for $699. Cash is already in my Paypal account...& I'm excited. Never hurts to make some side money. A product is only worth what people will pay for it. I figure if someone wants it that badly, cool.

16. betabeta macrumors 6502a

I had no intentions at all, and mine say May 13, (thinking it gets bumped earlier like my iPhone 6) but if someone needs it early that bad, I could be motivated to sell it, I don't want to, but money talks:eek:

Actually what happens when the person you sell it to actually ordered one with a later date, then gets his a few weeks early... eBay is so bad that they allow chargebacks way to easy.

I don't know, I also can't wait to see what happens when a seller gets his huge order cut to 2, I think anyone who ordered over 2 should worry, unless they spread it over accounts.

Very interesting launch Apple, this is just the start of all the crazy:eek:

17. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

i got flamed hard earlier for making a thread like this. I bought two, and 42mm and a 38mm. My original intent was to cancel the order I did not want, but since the supple is so tight I plan to sell it for a small profit. Why the hell not?

18. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

I noticed a lot of the scalpers on eBay are guaranteeing April 24th and getting 2x the cost. I think they're going to have a lot of upset customers.

19. Pooshka macrumors 65816

I'm selling try-on appointments in major U.S. cities:

Early morning: $270
    Morning: $320
    Afternoon: $480
    Evening: $640

20. superlawyer15 macrumors regular

superlawyer15

IMO if you come on here and talk about how you plan to scalp a newly released product; you should be immediately banned.

21. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

What a perfectly reasonable reaction. News flash! Apple is making as much or more money than any scalper per watch, in pure profit. Maybe you should complain to them for "gouging".

22. superlawyer15 macrumors regular

superlawyer15

They made the product so they deserve the money they make off of it.

23. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

And a person who stays up all night to preorder, or waits in line for hours, then lays out the money, and takes time to pack and ship, deserves whatever profit he can realize from reselling.

Why can't people get it through their heads? It's a free market. If it wasn't, there wouldn't be any Apple products to scalp, because we'd all be making $5/hr and couldn't afford to buy anything, and no company would bother creating a single thing.

24. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

Word.