Anyone See Any Fashion Reviews?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by KPOM, Mar 14, 2015.

1. KPOM macrumors G5

I understand British Vogue wrote a brief "review," and Jony Ive and Marc Newson will be opening a Conde Nast luxury conference next month, but haven't seen much in the way of reviews from the fashion industry yet.

http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/2015/03/11/conde-nast-luxury-conference-apple-executives-speaking

Obviously, despite Apple's attempts to shape the conversation, the Apple Watch will be seen as a tech gadget first, not least of which because they chose to go with a rectangular design, but I'd be curious to see what kind of reviews the various combinations get. Christy Turlington Burns called the blue modern bracelet her "fashion chic" band, and while she is a biased reviewer (given Apple's sponsorship), it's those kinds of opinions from people seen as "objective" that will be critical to the Apple Watch's long term success.

2. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

Stop trying to make the Apple watch as fashion happen. It's not gonna happen.

3. KPOM thread starter macrumors G5

If people wear it and it's visible, it's a fashion item.

4. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

I can wear my phone on my arm. Does that make it a fashion item?

5. KPOM thread starter macrumors G5

A bad one. The Apple Watch, like any other watch, is something intentionally designed to be worn and visible. As such, it is making a fashion statement of some sort. Can you wear this and not look nerdy? That's the key question for the long term success of the Apple Watch.

6. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

I don't think it looks nerdy at all, but it's a device first and foremost.

7. KPOM thread starter macrumors G5

It's still a fashion item, particularly since it's designed as an accessory, both in the fashion and technical senses.

8. leenak macrumors 68020

So fitbits, pebbles, garmin, polar, etc are all fashion items?

9. KPOM thread starter macrumors G5

I didn't say they were fashionable. However, they are still making fashion statements, albeit not great ones.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yup. Same with Google Glass, or that horrilbly big smart glass thing from Sony.

Even people who throw on whatever clothing combo they have without a care for fashion are making a statement, that is, "I don't care about fashion."

11. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Your assumption is based on an accessory being a fashion item. I see where you are coming from in some ways.

I don't consider gadgets to be fashion accessories. A quality mechanical watch is a fashion accessory for me. But that is my opinion

12. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I find wearable technology to be a combination of technology and fashion, just like hi-tech running shoes, or a water proof technical shell for mountain climbing, etc. Each of us my decide to choose items that may lean one way a little more than the other, but they all cover both categories to a degree.

13. iFanaddic, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015

iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

It's not a matter of opinions, it's a matter of definition.

Anything you wear on yourself is considered fashion. Tattoos, piercing, hair styles, nail polishes, clothes and jewelry are all considered fashion items

I understand the confusion though. its like trying to determine what qualifies as Art. Really anything..

fash·ion
    ˈfaSHən/
    noun
    a popular trend, especially in styles of dress and ornament or manners of behavior.
    "his hair is cut in the latest fashion"
    synonyms: vogue, trend, craze, rage, mania, fad; More
    the production and marketing of new styles of goods, especially clothing and cosmetics.
    "a fashion magazine"
    synonyms: clothes, clothing design, couture;

Attached Files:

14. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

A quality mechanical watch is the very definition of a gadget. The fact that it uses clockwork instead of a CPU does not change the fact that it's essentially a gadget for telling time.

15. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

Maybe, but over a hundred years or so, they've earned the right to be considered jewelry also, unlike Apple who have simply priced themselves into the category.

16. KPOM thread starter macrumors G5

So you need to be 100 years old to make jewelry? The Apple Watch is available in high-grade stainless steel, just like lots of other watches, with available choices of high-grade leather and stainless steel link bands. They also offer versions in 18kt solid gold. Whether or not it is fine jewelry, it meets the definition of jewelry.

17. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

You are correct.

----------

That's like saying a Rolls-Royce and Hyundai will get you from A to B , yeah essentially they are a car..... One being essentially hand made and the other on an assembly line ;)

----------

No it does not . You are deciding for everyone that it meets the definition, it's actsully open to interpretation.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/jewellery

By definition only the edition version is jewellery. Unless you consider aluminium, which you choose to ignore to suit your arguement and stainless steel for be valuable metals ..... Hardly.

If it's jewellery for you, great, it's not for others!

18. Ries macrumors 68000

19. leenak macrumors 68020

So you do think we'd see fashion reviews on those? and why not? Then I think you'd get the same answer on an apple watch.

20. KPOM thread starter macrumors G5

Except the Apple Watch is a lot higher profile, and priced to boot. They are also changing their retail sales strategy to position the Apple Watch as a fashion item. Pebble and the others are not.

21. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

And they might even change the look of the store from all of Apple Stores we know. The picture of the Watch store in Japan posted on 9to5 could hint that the Watch Store might be mainly black, or has more black than the Apple Store. :eek:

22. leenak macrumors 68020

The Misfit certainly has especially with their Swarovski line but I wouldn't expect to see any fashion reviews of those either.

23. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I don't think that's the actual store. The store is hidden behind the black box.

24. KPOM, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015

KPOM thread starter macrumors G5

It looks like the store is under construction. Watch-only stores are fairly rare. Movado attempted them a few years ago, but closed them. Watches are usually sold within department stores or jewelers. I wonder if Apple intends these as small kiosks to launch the product, or as a prototype for stores-within-a-store.

25. matrix07, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I know. I'm just guessing. It would be fun to see a black Apple Store, and we have a little bit of chance here. AFAIK, all Apple Stores never have black color. What if we have some for the Watch store, like panels or wall?