Anyone seeing similar on the 17-inch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sesshi, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

2. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Yup. Not as bad as that bottom one. I need to sight down the length of the bottom case to see it but it is there.

3. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Top one is not a 17-inch. I just included it for a reference of what is straight. The bottom is by a small margin the worst of the new arrivals. Just wanted to see if people had similar issues.

4. blitzraider macrumors member

Yes I got that problem too. I sent it back for an exchange because my screen was not aligned either, besides that problem you said.

5. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

My first one is being replaced for something else but hopefully it wont come back with a bowed case like that. Otherwise I will be replacing MBP's all month until I get a good one.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

7. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Where do I get fanboy glasses like yours?

8. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

They aren't both perfect at all Kasten...:rolleyes:

Mine is imbetween the two, not as bad as the second one which is quite a big gap...

I only got mine on the 10th, so still within the 14 day return. Will have a think.

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

The bottom, basically the 17" has a slightly bigger gap but they're straight. I see that on my 17" vs my 13".

10. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Wait, if there is a gap how is it straight?

I noticed mine had a slight bend just center of the optical drive. It honestly wasn't bad enough to return it. (that stain you may see is why mines going back)

[​IMG]

You can see here though its bad enough that the rubber around the screen isn't making contact with the base.

[​IMG]

11. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Apparently Apple-straight differs from the commonly accepted term of 'straight'. Perhaps not such a surprise maybe.

Thanks for your comparison Kronie. RE: Return - that's what I'm thinking of as well, but it's definitely not a feature of the smaller MB/Ps.

The interesting optical illusion there as with all of mine is that the screen assembly looks bent - but is not. Shoot / look around the other side would you? I bet there's a similar bend above the first or second USB socket.

12. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Actually my other side is straight on the bottom BUT the lid has a slight bend in it!

Honestly, if I have to look so hard to find this imperfection then its really a non issue for me.

My replacement should be here any minute. It will be interesting to compare the two.

13. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Interesting - all of mine seems to have a chassis-wide warp to different degrees. Let us know when you get your replacement, thanks :)

14. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

The rubber trim is also larger/thicker on my 17" than on my 13". I dont know why, but mine's straight

15. Staufman macrumors newbie

I just wanted to comment on this issue.

Mine looks basically the same as the picture a few posts up. Perhaps most look like this? I don't know if this is enough to return it. I don't have any of the other issues so far, green lines, or flickering. I'm thinking i may keep it.

16. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

My replacement looks exactly like my old one. Same dip over the optical drive.

17. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Hmmm. Chalk it up to Apple's usual superior QC and engineering prowess in that case. Nothing else seems to be broken on my MBP's... yet, so I won't bother badgering Customer Services.

On thing I can already see with the 17-inch, I was right about the reasons for the built-in battery. It'd have been too weak if it had the same panel arrangement as the smaller MB/Ps. Trust Apple to spin a series of negatives into a supposed positive - especially as battery life under power saving is only ~2 hours longer than my removable 9-cell'd Dell XPS 16 (and it doesn't even have an IGP to save power) under similar usage circumstances.

I'm very glad I went for the matte though - I can actually see the screen, not my face :D and I prefer the silver surround.

18. nopassn macrumors regular

Mine also has an ever so slight bow/arc in the lid above the optical drive - similar deal on the other side as well. It's ever so slight, and since mine doesn't have the heat/graphics issue and it has the 9c99 screen, I'm going to keep it. I didn't even notice it until I went looking after seeing this thread...

19. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

It's quite possible a first-time unibody owner wouldn't have noticed. But I have the complete set as it were so it was more apparent.

20. JtheLemur macrumors 6502

Hmm, that sure looks screwy. On mine, all the lines are perfect-o.

21. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Can we see?

22. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Oh i see it now, but i didnt until you mentioned it was a gap above the superdrive. My unibody doesn't have this issue though, but my older 17" does, never noticed it before, i guess ive got more important things to worry about than a 1 nanometer misalignment.

23. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

When looks are the only thing you have, it's a factor.