Anyone sell their stock HDD? questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HBOC, Apr 8, 2010.

1. HBOC macrumors 68020

Ok, i have upgraded my stock HDD last winter to a Hitatchi Travelstar. I have this stock one sitting in the static bag, and was wondering if anyone holds on to this for warranty purposes, or if you guys just sell it, and try your luck with the new one?

I see that there is an Apple sticker/label on the HDD. This HDD seems pretty common in the MB/MBP line (Fujitsu 250GB 5400RPM). My theory is if i sell it and something does go wrong, i could buy another HDD to put it in before sending to Apple OR just send in my MBP the way it is and if they send it back saying the HDD isn't stock, then just go change it out and re-sent it in.

Thoughts? Just trying to sell stuff extra that i have to fund plane tickets and photo gear, etc.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you're outside of the return period and you don't need the drive, then sell it; Apple will service your computer if you send it in with your third-party drive; however should there be a software issue like a driver problem that is causing the problem, or the HDD cable is damaged, you might get billed or the computer back unrepaired (however in most cases, they might still fix it in warranty).

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Keep it. I keep my stock 250 in a box with a fresh 10.5 install so when I need warranty work, I pop out my SSD, pop it in and bring/ship it to Apple within the hour (old non unibody MBPs). I have plenty of hungry enclosures and empty drive bays that would gladly bring it online, but this way it just gives apple one less thing to complain about.

You ain't gonna get very much for it anyway. You can get a 320 GB for $50, a 500 for $60 or a 640 for $75 these days.

4. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

yeah i was thinking $40, but that is $40 less that i have to pay for a trip to the Slot Canyons/Grand Canyon in a few weeks.

I know that with my RAM, they have extra ones laying around. Maybe they will have an extra HDD.

5. jawa12083 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch 2G 8GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

You could always use another backup drive.... For stuff. I say keep it. You probably can't sell it for too much, and you might need it someday, for some reason.

6. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

It's not worth selling. Keep it in case you ever need to send your mac in for repairs.