Anyone sold their iPhone even though they loved it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NikolasMason, May 11, 2009.

1. NikolasMason macrumors member

My girlfriend dropped her iPhone in a sink, completely ruining it from water damage, and she really wants another one but doesn't have the money to buy a brand new one because she's moving soon.

I have a 3G that I got at launch, and before that I had the original, also from launch, so I've been using an iPhone for almost the last two years and I absolutely LOVE them, other than some times when they are just really annoying and stubborn, but point being is that I was never disappointed in it at all.

But now I feel like selling my iPhone to her for cheap so that's she'll still have an iPhone but won't have to pay to buy a brand new one, and I really want a Sony Ericsson C902. I'm just kind of scared to leave the iPhone, you know? After liking it so much, it seems like it'd be a bad thing to leave it, but then again, I've had it for two years and it really is lacking in some features, so it might not be bad to get a new phone that's different, at least for a while.

Anyone else sold their iPhone even though they loved it? What was it like?

2. KidFresh macrumors regular

3. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

I'm going to sell my first gen when the new one get's released and I won't regret the price I set for it :cool:

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The only reason I sold my iPhone was because I upgraded to the 3G. After using the iPhone, using any other phone is rather painful, so if you enjoy the iPhone I wouldn't sell it to get something else.

5. JoshBoy macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

be a man

First things forst, be a gent and give her the phone, second of all I have the same question with the new nokia n98 (i think that is the model number) coming out soon. I have decided to stay with the iphone, why move if it does everything i want and regret it. Why don't you just get a new iphone and give her yours or give her the new one?

6. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Be a gent? I dunno. Selling her the phone, on the cheap, could allow him to buy the (potential) brand new iPhone in June/July.

OP:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kübler-Ross_model

7. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Yah, then go Dutch on your dinners together for a while and make her drive you around so you can save on gas... Then you can save enough for the new
    iPhone.. Everyone will call you K-Fed, but that's a small price to pay.

8. NikolasMason thread starter macrumors member

I know it sounds rude to sell it to her, but if I just gave it to her, that'd leave me not being able to get my own phone :p

But she had decided I think to just buy an iPod Touch and a small, cheap cell phone, so I'll probably end up keeping mine and buying the Sony Ericsson also.

9. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

well i'd give it to her to be nice and just use the sony ericsson that you'll be purchasing soon, maybe..

10. JoshBoy macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

give it to her

:D Don't just read the title i do me the phone. Do an exchange, she can scratch your back you give her the phone unless its not true love, if its not stuff her, keep the phone and buy a new one, everyone feels great using two phones, it really puts a person above the common folk :eek:

11. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Those two statements are self-defeating. First you say you can't just give her the iPhone cause you'll need some money so you could by the Sony Ericson, then you say you'll probably just keep the iPhone and buy the Sony Ericson... but how will you be able to do that since you won't be selling your iPhone?

12. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Well, we know nothing about their relationship (how long it has been going on, their true feelings, their relationship beliefs, etc.).

Some of us would be flat broke if we were to give a $300 phone to every girlfriend we had....

Additionally, upon painfully reminiscing, I can think of a few girlfriends in my past that would cause me to harm myself this instant if I actually gave them a $300 cell phone when we were dating. Let's stop being hopeless romantics here and be practical. All horrible personal money-hungry-greedy girlfriend memories aside, if he gives his phone away, he won't be able to afford a new one himself.

13. daonesteven macrumors 6502

i guess this all depends on the nature of the relationship (which i'm not questioning at all), but if my gf broke her iphone, i'd willingly give her my iphone, which she'd try to refuse but i'd make her take it anyways, and she's remember and pay me back in some other way (get me the new iphone, etc). Not comparing my life to yours but yea, relationships should always just come around in some way

14. matttye macrumors 601

I've just sold my iPhone on eBay and ordered a Nokia 5800xm after playing with my friends for a bit.

The iPhone has amazing software but it lacks a lot in the hardware department. The speakers are rubbish, the camera is mediocre at best, no memory expansion slot, no removable battery, and in the case of the first iPhone - a semi-propiatery headphone jack.

And although the software is amazing, there are many things missing here too - MMS, full bluetooth support, copy/paste, scrolling song titles in the iPod, themes, widgets, a phone-wide search feature, SMS features like saving drafts or templates/forwarding messages/a character count telling you how many messages you've used and how many characters you have left before an extra is used/deleting individual messages, etc etc.. the list goes on.

Yes, a lot of this is coming with 3.0 - but has it really taken apple 2 YEARS to add this stuff? That's a long time to wait for the basic features of other phones to be added.

And surprisingly, the iPhone isn't that good at being a phone! The ear speaker is so quiet you can hardly hear someone when there's a little background noise.

I think the iPhone will be the best phone ever, but only when it evolves. Until then it's just too limited for me.

15. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Doesn't sound rude to me if my boyfriend broke his iPhone I'd probably comfort him, call him a dumbass and then tell him where he could get a £10 nokia. We don't go in for £300 presents.

For me going back to a candybar style SE would be a massive step back. It'll have a fantastic camera and you'll be able to play music, but I can't think of that much more you can do with it really, compared to all the stuff you can do with an iPhone. I had the SE model before the c902 btw. I don't miss it at all and I'd hate to go back to it, then again I love my apps and internet and you might not fussed for them.

16. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

Give her your iphone and just buy the phone you want. :cool: