Anyone sold to gainsaver?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Romana, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Romana macrumors newbie

Hi, I recently upgraded to a new macbook pro quad core (loving it!), and I still have my cute little 13 inch macbook. I haven't been sure what to do with it. None of my friends need a computer right now, and I don't really like ebay, so I tried craigslist. It has been horrible. I keep making deals over the email and then go to meet them and they don't show up and don't call or email that they can't make it. I have to get my toddler dressed and out the door and them I have to get him to sit and wait and I'm tired of it.

I started thinking about keeping it. I don't know why. I don't need it, but keeping it is better than wasting my time with craigslist, but I don't have anywhere to store it and it would probably end up ruined if it went to the basement. So I went online and looked for some way to just sell it fast and easy, and gainsaver popped up.

I've read some horrible review from people who bought from them. Has anyone sold to them? Or any other online place? They offered my a surprising amount and I have a strange feeling about it.

My computer is a 2008 white 13 inch macbook 2.4 ghz, 160 gb hard drive, 2 gigs of ram, in great condition, and they offered me $414. Really??? Does this seem odd to anyone else? I'm worried I'll send them my computer and not receive any money, or worse, get store credit :eek:

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? Thanks!

2. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Believe it or not that's about the average asking price for the model in question.

3. Romana thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? I guess I wasn't asking enough :roll eyes: Shouldn't a store who will want to resell it and make a profit offer less than the current asking price? Maybe I'm being paranoid. I'd love to get that for it, but I just want to make sure it is legit. That's why I don't like to sell stuff on ebay anymore. Had some trouble there a while back. I've had good experiences too, but with items like computers, it seems to bring out the scammers.

4. fenskezen macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

My son paid $600 on line at a different site for that same computer. I didn't know if he overpaid. Came with a 1yr warranty.

5. Romana thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow! I have heard that macs keep their value better than windows computers, but the one I'm selling was my first one so I haven't really looked into it that much. I just quickly scanned ebay and picked a price. It's great your son's computer came with a warranty too.

Maybe I'm being too harsh with the place. Like I said though, the negative reviews from people buying from the site got me nervous. I would rather get something out of it than just let it sit though. I though about keeping it for my son, but he's only two, and by the time he will need a computer for school work, we will probably all have computer chips implanted in our brains :p

6. Romana thread starter macrumors newbie

Since it doesn't look like anyone has sold to them, maybe I will give it a go! I'll let you all know how it works out. Thanks for your replies!

7. gadgetsellers macrumors newbie

Sellers beware

We recently had an anything but pleasant experience with this company. They are located right near us, so we first e-mailed them with some questions and received no response. Then, we called them and offered to physically bring them the computer for inspection, where they refused and insisted we mail it to them. They were rude, unprofessional, and plain scammers. Do not trust your electronic devices with this these guys.

8. izzy223 macrumors newbie

Sold to Gainsaver?

Romana, did you ever get your computer sold to Gainsaver? Or anyone else sell to them?

9. tothedome macrumors newbie

Good luck getting your money

IF you get your money from selling to gainsaver you'll get it in about a month.

10. Riley415 macrumors newbie

I did and it was a terrible experience. No customer service at all. Very dishonest and unprofessional