Anyone sticking with the 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Frankied22, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

How many of you are sticking with the 5S another year and waiting to see what the 7 is? Just curious.

2. Eau Rouge macrumors regular

That was my plan but I received a 6s as a gift. I appreciate the speed and capabilities of the new phone but I would've been happy to stick with the 5s for another year.

3. ziggy3055 macrumors member

I bought the 6S+ for the bigger screen but performance wise I still think the 5S is a great phone.

4. ApeBot macrumors newbie

ApeBot

I was planning to upgrade at some point but after adopting an iPad mini, I found that my need for a larger screen phone disappeared.

I'm using my 5s as a phone / MP3 player / run companion - and the iPad mini for larger screen needs (editing documents, work, garage band, video editing etc)

This combination seems to work well for me.

5. Jayjew macrumors 6502

Jayjew

Just get a 6 if you don't like the 6s, Jesus...

6. Thierry ba macrumors 6502a

7. rockitdog macrumors 68020

hahaha, thats funny!

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'd still be on my Black/Slate iPhone 5 if Sprint had gotten their crap together network wise in Phoenix.

But they didn't. Which annoyed me. So I extracted my pound of flesh by getting a 6+ and reducing the amount of money I paid each month to them. Which turned out to be a good thing because when we eventually ported out we discovered that T-Mobile no longer takes the iPhone 5 as trade-in.

Now I have a 6s+. I hate the fugly antenna bands, the bulge out camera and the lack of black as a color option (Space Gray is NOT black). But other than that I like the phone.

I'm using my old iPhone 5 as an iPod Touch right now, but it won't be around for much longer as someone's made an offer on it to me.

The 5s is cool, but I avoided upgrading to if for two reasons. No black as a color option and I'm on the numbered upgrade path (this year is an aberration we will correct with the iPhone 7 next year).

9. Z3man macrumors 6502a

I would probably stick with the 5s if they updated it with NFC.

I like the size of it, its just right for me but it's getting a bit outdated now. Shame really as its still a very good looking well made phone, shame Apple haven't bothered updating it.

10. ignatius345 macrumors 6502a

I don't really have much of a need for NFC, couldn't really care less about ApplePay, and I actually like the smaller size of the 5S.

11. James6s macrumors regular

James6s

Whilst I loved my old 5S they are starting to look quite outdated now. Love my 6 and now 6S and you soon get used to the slightly larger screen, 0.7'' isn't a big increase but it seems too much for some to make the jump. Each to their own I guess...

12. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

I'm considering sticking with my 5S. My wife got me the 6S as a gift, but as I've been barely using it thus far / not entirely happy with it I'm thinking about asking her to take it back

(partly problems with restoring my 5S backup to the 6S and some weird battery drain issue with my iCloud account that I'm seeing on the 5S, 6S and my iPad Air 2 - usage time and standby time the same and draining faster than it should)

Screen wise I prefer the 6S
    Size wise (and pocket fit) I much prefer the 5S
    Battery I can't really comment as my 6S isn't set up like my 5S (geek bench test wise the 6S is nearly double my 5S 4h 4m vs 2h 17m)
    Camera is better on the 6S
    Both phones get hotter than I would like
    5S is easier to grip, don't feel like I'm going to drop it.

13. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

When it came time this past August for my son to upgrade from his 4S, he didn't want a larger iPhone like the 6, so we got him the 5S and he couldn't be happier with it.

14. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

I can totally understand that, my wife really doesn't want to trade up from her 4S, partly because she prefers the size but also because she feels it's more robust. It's had a fair few drops and survived each time, however she borrowed my 5 once and dropped it within 5 minutes and smashed the screen.

15. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I probably won't be replacing my 5S for a very, very, very long time, and when it comes to the point where I need to, I might just buy another one. I enjoy it more everyday, iOS 8 brought the new manual options for the camera, and iOS 9 is pretty nice so far.

I feel like it's pretty solid too. I dropped it on its face on the floor for the 5th time this morning and it's still yet to have any damage.

16. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

My mom's going to stay with the 5s mostly because she's not a fan of the larger 6s and (obviously) 6s+ screens.

17. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I was really annoyed earlier this year when my 5S started randomly shutting off for no reason. After the battery replacement didn't fix the problem, Apple determined it was a motherboard problem... 30 days out of warranty of course. I had an upgrade available so I got the 6. To be honest... I never liked that phone as much. I love the size and design of the 5S. My 6S is an improvement over the 6 but I still prefer the design of my old 5S.

18. Andres Cantu macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

I like the iPhone 5s as much has the next guy (I used to have one), but there's no way you would be able to buy another one after, say, two years. At that point, it would probably be in its last iOS version (iOS 11).

It would not make sense to buy one at that point, much like it wouldn't make sense to buy a brand-new iPhone 4s today and expect to keep it for another long time. Both would be four-year-old phones, not to mention harder to find.

19. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Slap on Apple's black leather case and you eliminate all of that.

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, that's the problem. I hate cases. ;)

21. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

They did update it. Twice.

22. zhivago1955 macrumors member

zhivago1955

I'm sticking with 5S because it fits in my pocket perfectly, my wife has the 6 plus (aka jumbo tron) that will rip the threads apart on my pants.

23. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

24. Coffeelover01 macrumors newbie

Coffeelover01

I love my 5s, but I went for the 6+ As soon as it released only Because I was enticed by the huge screen. !!!
    I'm not sure about the 6s+ Yet I want to wait and see what 7 looks like, I might get it just to add it to my collection of iPhones though.

25. bambooshots macrumors 6502a

In retrospect I wish I had stuck with the 5S another year until I got the 6S Plus.

I didn't start using Pay until this month when my lending institution signed up for it and that's one of the features that the iPhone 5S couldn't do that I now really prefer (in addition to the larger screen).