Anyone Sticking with their Old Apple Watch Series 2?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Macrumorsss, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Macrumorsss macrumors newbie

Macrumorsss

I have been having the hardest time ever being convinced that the new apple watch is an upgrade. So far the following have been mentioned:
    Faulty software
    Lower battery threshold
    Reception not as good
    Stainless Steel scratches easily
    Much faster processor
    A lot more info on the main screen (too much IMO)

I dont know I am torn between upgrading and sticking to my gps only stainless steel. Anyone else feel the same or are most series 2 owners compelled to upgrade?

2. Broken Hope macrumors 6502a

Software is fine, battery is fine, doesn’t scratch any easier than previous SS Apple Watches, you can show as much or as little information as you choose to.

I upgraded from a S2 to a S4 and the difference is massive.

3. RodThePlod, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018

RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

• Faulty software? WatchOS 5 has been great for me. Every new iOS/WatchOS version will have issues, Apple has already patched some issues with 5.0.1.
    • Lower battery threshold? Battery life is a great improvement for me (over a Series 0, admittedly) but most reports i’ve seen say battery life is at least comparable to Series 3.
    • Reception not as good? Not seen this, however I will say that Series 4 uses Bluetooth 5 which i’ve found great with its extended range. It basically means that I can leave my IPhone much, much further away and still maintain a connection with my Watch.
    • SS scratches? I’d guess the durability is the same as previous SS Watches.
    • Faster processor? Yes, the new 64-bit processor is a game changer in the fluidity and responsiveness of the Watch.
    • More info? The bigger screen is also amazing. If you don’t want a busy watch face, choose one of the simpler ones with no complications.
    You also forgot better speakers, better heart health tech, improved gyroscope, accelerometer, etc. etc.

For me, it’s a solid upgrade. But YMMV - and if you don’t feel compelled to upgrade, and are happy with your S2, then stick with that.

4. Waterman316 macrumors 6502

This is me. I want the series 4 so bad. Bad enough that I’m trying to track one down. But I just can’t justify it to myself. My series 2 does everything I need it to do. Which is tell me the time and the date, and occasionally check a text message. Don’t really use it for anything else. I don’t even have the settings set for the watch to go off when receiving a text. The phone going off is much louder and more noticeable. Plus I do t see the point in checking the text on the watch just to end up pulling my phone out to reply anyways. But I love the look of the series 4 and it looks like it would be more comfortable. But it’s $430. Lol.

First world problems. The struggle is real.

5. Jason Honer Suspended

Jason Honer

I traded mine in at the Apple store. I only got $115 for it but I got to keep the band and the charger that came with the Warch, so that’s like an extra $80 right there. The S4 is blazing fast compared to my old S2.

6. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

I had an S2 but I couldn't help myself and was able to find a 44mm in stock at a local Apple store. It was totally worth the upgrade imo.

I got the cellular version which wasn't what I was planning on but that's all they had so I'm not sure I'll even activate that.

The watch is so much faster and the slight bump in screen size is a plus. I like the new watch faces also. All all-round it was a great upgrade though a bit on the expensive side.

If you really don't have the money and you have an S2 or S3 and you use it for basic stuff it may not be worth it. If you've got the money by all means go for it. I think it's worth it.

7. TheBearman macrumors 6502

Honestly the health features of the S4 are the reason for my move from the S2. I'm not sure I agree with all your points, I expect some are seeing what you're reporting but don't believe it's the same for everyone. I remember comments/threads about the "problems" with the S2 when it was released and again with the S3.

8. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

I love my series 2. I have had it about two years now. I did get a free AppleCare warranty replacement after about 14 months due to my software really going wonky and the touch screen becoming erratically unpredictable and impossible to use at some points in the day.

Having said that, I did buy the series 4 SSSB 44mm. I am going to use the S2 as a work and boat watch, and the S4 will be for all other times.

9. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

I think this is the first time the Watch is a worthwhile upgrade for anyone using a previous Watch, including the S3.

10. Loge macrumors 68030

Loge

I'm staying with S2 for now; not really impressed with the new faces, the digital ones in particular, and that you can't get a SS model without cellular.

11. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

If you have tons of disposable income to burn and you upgrade every year, this thread isn't for you. For most people though...

S0 — No brainer upgrade. This is the one you've been waiting for, and OS updates are dead.
    S1 — Unless you're only checking the time and basic notifications, this is a good upgrade, especially if you do any exercise.
    S2 — Really the only debatable one. If there are new features you really want and would take advantage of, upgrade. If you're happy, don't sorry about it. Save up for the S5. That's going to be the one for you.
    S3 — Don't upgrade. Your watch is new and has great performance and battery life.
    S4 — Go away.