Anyone still have a Titanium G4?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UltraNEO*, Jan 15, 2008.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

So i'm curious, does anyone here still have and uses an
    old PowerBook Titanium G4, who's still running OS9 in it's
    native mode? Not via OSX classic???

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

All but the very first TiBooks came with OS X installed, so OS9 users are likely to be a little scarce. I don't have my G4 powerbooks any longer (sold my 400 quite a while back and my 667 went last year when I bought my MBP), but I do know a guy still running an original G4-400 - he uses Panther, though...

3. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

I have a tibook that can run OS 9 native but do not do it since I have Mac OS X.

4. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

I still have an original 500 Mhz G4 Titanium sitting around. It still runs well except for the DVD-ROM drive being pretty flakey and the display backlight getting quite dim. I replaced the battery in it once a few years ago, and even today it still gets better battery life and runs cooler than my MacBook!

Runs OS X 10.4 acceptably with 512MB RAM and a 30GB HDD.

5. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

6. moel macrumors 6502

Still got a G4/667 at home

Needs a bit of soldering doing as it doesn't like running off the battery and i KNOW the battery is good!

7. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

I bought one second hand as my first mac about 4 years ago- I still use it for music on the road, not under mac os 9 tho... Almost thought about installing leopard on it today (but hacking's not really my thing).

I also have a gray box powerpc g3 running quark and native mac os 9 on my work network- I even use it sometimes, as some of my customers still insist on using zip disks! :apple:

8. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

I have one, it's for sale if you want it :) (UK). G4 550Mhz, 256mb, 20GB, etc :cool:

9. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

That was one of my first real Macs. TiG4 500mhz 512mb memory and a 20GB HD... Ran Final Cut 2 like crazy!

Miss it a little, a lot of great times with friends in the Media Club back in high school with it.

~Crawn

10. itslow macrumors newbie

I'm writing this on my trusty ol' 800Mhz dinosaur that's been my daily machine since new. However, I just ordered up a new MBP replacement this afternoon. My parents will inherit the TiBook.

11. ls10flpanyc macrumors newbie

Sitting right next to me is my old Powerbook G4 1GHz, 512MB, 60GB Titanium beauty. Well, not as beautiful as it has previously been - after four years of college, there are a number of scrapes, a dent on the back of the screen hinge, and flaking paint (I really should have bought a sleeve for it). It has Panther, which I believe can also run OS9, but I never used that option. But I still love it and probably won't get rid of it; so many memories!

12. Lock macrumors member

I have a 400mhz Ti that's running Tiger (I think the ram is at 768 or 1 gig, can't remember offhand). It's a pretty decent machine as long as you as don't mind doing one thing at a time.

13. hollywoodmacguy macrumors regular

I thought I was the only one...

I am still using a Titanium PowerBook G4 that originally came with Classic. I later upgraded to OSX and am now running 10.2.8.

Am poised to upgrade to a MBP and was REALLY hoping that Steve might announce something exciting today on this front, either a case redesign or, at the very least, some sort of speed bump. That was obviously not the case. Sigh...

So, I guess I'm going to dive in. Although my machine still runs remarkably well, like an earlier poster, the DVD player is nearly dead and I've been getting a lot of kernel panics lately when I start up. So, I guess it's (past) time. Of course, :apple: will inevitably announce a redesign the week after I take the plunge, but the MBP will definitely be a huge leap forward.

What to do with the old machine? Recycle?

14. BigJohno macrumors 65816

Yeah my dad still has his old tig4 1 1ghz. I still think it has been the best looking mac!

15. VicRattlehead macrumors regular

well this thread prompted me to post this thread here it needs a HD and ram upgrade but id like to get it going again.

16. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

17. ibookluv111 macrumors member

I'm typing this now on a Titanium 667 DVI with 768mb RAM. It's my primary computer I LOVE IT! I have a 19" LCD for it, a Pro Keyboard and Mouse, and a 100gb Firewire drive. Not getting rid of it until it fails. Runs Tiger perfect. My second Mac, the first being a G3 iBook. I love the Powerbook to the iBook. Definitely more professional looking and powerful. Just a little sidenote, my sister has a BRAND NEW Hp laptop with Vista and Centrino Duo, 2gb RAM, 200gb HD. Sad to say that my Powerbook starts up, logs in and pretty much does everything fast than hers! I constantly get the: "Is your laptop on? Mine's not and I don't feel like waiting." I get this about 2 times a week! WOW. :apple: :D

18. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

1GHz, 512MB TiBook here. She's my full time workhorse, running Tiger beautifully but I could really do with a MacBook. After five years of solid use, the strain's starting to become visible. :eek:

19. AndyFL macrumors regular

G4/400 original here. On its last legs though -- doesn't seem to operate at all without the A/C adapter. Even then, the adapter connection is fairly loose. I put a good 5-6years of use on it though -- without any repairs! Hoping my new MBP will last as long.

20. Wireless Buddy macrumors regular

Send it to me.

21. RHD macrumors 6502

I'm still using my trusty 1 GHZ TiBook 1 GIG RAM. Running Tiger 10.4.11 though. Still have OS9 in Classic Mode but hardly ever use it.

Ti Book is still going strong. Battery was crap when new so doesn't really matter it only holds a charge for about 10 minutes now, I'm upgrading soon anyway.

It still works perfectly well and I run 3D and rendering on it which often takes days because it's so slow by todays standards but it still does it, it just takes time.
    I've always looked after it except for running it into the ground for days at a time with the 3D and rendering.

Recently the fans started making horrible noises and so I lifted up the keyboard and cleaned a lot of dust out from around them and now it's a lot quieter.
    Performance seems unaffected.

I have never done a clean install the whole time I've had it, or to date had a serious problem. (One I couldn't fix) I hope my next MacBook Pro is as good.

22. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I almost prefer the look of the titanium Powerbooks to that of the aluminum ones. I think it's in the two-toned shell, the keyboard colors, and just the overall feel of the machine. I've been trying to find pictures on google of both side by side, but I haven't had much luck so far.