Anyone STILL have proximity sensor issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PittsDriver, Apr 1, 2011.

1. PittsDriver macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

I have had an iPhone 4 since launch and have really had zero problems with my phone regarding prox sensor. My girlfriend just purchased an iPhone 4 a couple weeks ago and she is having problems. The phone is on 4.3.1, I know the OS was updated long ago to fix said issues that many people were having. I cannot figure this one out or figure out how to fix it. Any thoughts?

2. alectheking macrumors 6502a

I have been having pretty bad problems with my CDMA iPhone. It ALWAYS puts my calls on mute moving it to my face. Sadly, my launch day iPhone 4 from AT&T never gave me issues.

3. Merkie macrumors 68020

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Since both phones are still in warranty, take them to Apple...:rolleyes:

5. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

I've had the iPhone 4 since launch, too, and have never really noticed any issues with the proximity sensor.

6. jwingfie macrumors 6502a

jwingfie

Never once had a problem with my Verizon iP4s proximity sensor

7. Stein357 macrumors 6502

8. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

9. BriChi macrumors 6502

Only time I have an issue, and can easily reproduce, Is if I am on speaker phone, If I take it off speaker and bring it right to my ear, the screen stays on, I have to wait at least a couple of seconds to bring it to my ear to make sure the screen will shut off, Sucks f you are mid conversation and wanna switch quick back to ear while someone is talking, I have to tell them to hold a sec while I take them off speaker

10. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Have you personally used her iPhone or are you taking her word for it?

This "issue" has been resolved a long time ago

11. alectheking macrumors 6502a

Hmm.. I may have to take it to Apple. Im also a bit worried about my screen. I havent been able to compare it to other 4's or even my previous AT&T iphone4, but compared side by side to my iPad 2 screen, my CDMA iphones screen is much, much more yellow toned than my iPad. Is that part of the yellow screen iPhone issues or just the display differences?

12. hobo.hopkins macrumors 6502a

hobo.hopkins

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've never had a problem with my Verizon iPhone, and I don't know of anyone else who has an iPhone who is having problems.

13. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

I do nonstop with my ATT and the Otterbox Defender case

14. kevink2 macrumors 65816

It is better than it was. But I still have issues. Occasionally I hang up or put the phone on mute.

15. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I was told that there is a silent recall on iPhone 4's that were manufactured between a certain week range that are eligible for a warranty replacement. Upon hearing this news, my wife and I came in and swapped them both out within a few minutes by explaining the ongoing issues and having them check the serial number.

I can tell you that our newly replaced iPhone 4's have not experienced any false proximity triggers since, as compared to our pre-launch day iPhone 4's that we had issues sporadically and drove us nucking futs.

16. PittsDriver thread starter macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

Very interesting. I made a genius bar appt tomorrow so we will see if her serial is under the silent recall.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My fairly new iPhone 4 dent seem to exhibit this problema nd I'm pretty happy it doesn't

18. gpc17 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is valid for which week??

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Same with me.

20. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

How did it turn out?

I forget the exact range, but both of our devices were preordered before launch day. I still have the original boxes somewhere, can pull up the serial numbers...

21. deeesea macrumors 6502

8/10 times i have a problem, it's not a big issue as I've never hit the "end call" button, it's always surprising to see where my face has taken me through the iphones OS lol.

Still running ios 4.1 though, never bothered to update so that's probably why.

22. BriChi macrumors 6502

here is a video I just shot (sorry for the ****** quality) showing when I try and quickly switch from speaker to ear, the screen stays on, This I believe is more of a software issue then hardware issue being that any other time it works great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwL9Ayi8rJg

23. james92se macrumors 6502a

I still have proximity sensor issues. But then again I've never bothered to update since 4.0 :D

24. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Updating will fix your problems! Potentially.

25. malsch macrumors newbie

kinda sorta. Definitely not as bad as it was in the beginning (that really pissed me off) but just last night I was on the phone talking and I went to switch ears. Phone lights up, when I press it up to my other ear, it doesn't go dark & my cheek hit the 'hold' button. Grrrrrrrrrrrr

The other thing it still does is it will not come back once I pull it away from my ear. Sometimes I have to hit the home button to get any response. And even that doesn't always work.

I'm ready for the iPhone 5. :D

Actually the best workaround for this is to always use blue tooth. Which is what I usually do.