Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PittsDriver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
I have had an iPhone 4 since launch and have really had zero problems with my phone regarding prox sensor. My girlfriend just purchased an iPhone 4 a couple weeks ago and she is having problems. The phone is on 4.3.1, I know the OS was updated long ago to fix said issues that many people were having. I cannot figure this one out or figure out how to fix it. Any thoughts?

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
I have been having pretty bad problems with my CDMA iPhone. It ALWAYS puts my calls on mute moving it to my face. Sadly, my launch day iPhone 4 from AT&T never gave me issues.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
I have had an iPhone 4 since launch and have really had zero problems with my phone regarding prox sensor. My girlfriend just purchased an iPhone 4 a couple weeks ago and she is having problems. The phone is on 4.3.1, I know the OS was updated long ago to fix said issues that many people were having. I cannot figure this one out or figure out how to fix it. Any thoughts?

I have been having pretty bad problems with my CDMA iPhone. It ALWAYS puts my calls on mute moving it to my face. Sadly, my launch day iPhone 4 from AT&T never gave me issues.
Since both phones are still in warranty, take them to Apple...:rolleyes:

BriChi

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
Only time I have an issue, and can easily reproduce, Is if I am on speaker phone, If I take it off speaker and bring it right to my ear, the screen stays on, I have to wait at least a couple of seconds to bring it to my ear to make sure the screen will shut off, Sucks f you are mid conversation and wanna switch quick back to ear while someone is talking, I have to tell them to hold a sec while I take them off speaker

Pink∆Floyd

macrumors 68020
Nov 21, 2009
Up There

Have you personally used her iPhone or are you taking her word for it?

This "issue" has been resolved a long time ago

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
Hmm.. I may have to take it to Apple. Im also a bit worried about my screen. I havent been able to compare it to other 4's or even my previous AT&T iphone4, but compared side by side to my iPad 2 screen, my CDMA iphones screen is much, much more yellow toned than my iPad. Is that part of the yellow screen iPhone issues or just the display differences?

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've never had a problem with my Verizon iPhone, and I don't know of anyone else who has an iPhone who is having problems.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
It is better than it was. But I still have issues. Occasionally I hang up or put the phone on mute.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
I was told that there is a silent recall on iPhone 4's that were manufactured between a certain week range that are eligible for a warranty replacement. Upon hearing this news, my wife and I came in and swapped them both out within a few minutes by explaining the ongoing issues and having them check the serial number.

I can tell you that our newly replaced iPhone 4's have not experienced any false proximity triggers since, as compared to our pre-launch day iPhone 4's that we had issues sporadically and drove us nucking futs.

PittsDriver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Very interesting. I made a genius bar appt tomorrow so we will see if her serial is under the silent recall.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My fairly new iPhone 4 dent seem to exhibit this problema nd I'm pretty happy it doesn't

gpc17

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is valid for which week??

deeesea

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2010
8/10 times i have a problem, it's not a big issue as I've never hit the "end call" button, it's always surprising to see where my face has taken me through the iphones OS lol.

Still running ios 4.1 though, never bothered to update so that's probably why.

BriChi

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
Only time I have an issue, and can easily reproduce, Is if I am on speaker phone, If I take it off speaker and bring it right to my ear, the screen stays on, I have to wait at least a couple of seconds to bring it to my ear to make sure the screen will shut off, Sucks f you are mid conversation and wanna switch quick back to ear while someone is talking, I have to tell them to hold a sec while I take them off speaker

here is a video I just shot (sorry for the ****** quality) showing when I try and quickly switch from speaker to ear, the screen stays on, This I believe is more of a software issue then hardware issue being that any other time it works great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwL9Ayi8rJg

malsch

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2008
kinda sorta. Definitely not as bad as it was in the beginning (that really pissed me off) but just last night I was on the phone talking and I went to switch ears. Phone lights up, when I press it up to my other ear, it doesn't go dark & my cheek hit the 'hold' button. Grrrrrrrrrrrr

The other thing it still does is it will not come back once I pull it away from my ear. Sometimes I have to hit the home button to get any response. And even that doesn't always work.

I'm ready for the iPhone 5. :D

Actually the best workaround for this is to always use blue tooth. Which is what I usually do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.