Anyone still on Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Alorain, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Alorain macrumors newbie

I am :)

I'm going to wait for Snow Leopard and entirely skip past Leopard. Did anyone else out there refrain from upgrading to leopard?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have a PowerPC Mac that runs both Tiger and Leopard. Also, my coworkers who use Macs aren't running Leopard.

3. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I think I'm the only person I know who upgraded (and I only did it because the software I wanted was Leopard only)

I don't think a lot of people outside places like Macrumors actually feel a desperate need to update their OS.

4. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

I'm running Leopard, I upgraded shortly after it came out, maybe a month later.

Weird thing, I upgraded Leopard first and then 4 months later THEN I upgraded to iLife 08. :D

Currently running Leopard/iLife 09/iWork 09.

5. Durnaurion macrumors newbie

I personally run Leopard, but technically I didn't "upgrade", because it was on my MacBook when I bought it.

My wife uses Tiger on her iMac G5 and a good friend of mine (the first apple user I knew) still uses Tiger on his iBook G4.

6. McShizzel macrumors regular

My PowerBook G4 still runs Tiger and runs it well but my Mac Pro is on Leopard (it came with the system).

7. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

I'm still on Tiger and I'm doing fine, though it sucks to be shut out of a lot of cool software.

I'll probably upgrade soon, with the Mac Box set.

mt

8. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Tiger is a solid OS last for my imac:eek: but I cant see myself skipping one.

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Dude, Leopard rules. I downgraded my iBook G4 to Tiger for a few weeks and it sucked. No real speed difference but the lack of Quicklook had me annoyed quite often. I love Spaces too.

Overall, if you haven't gotten Leopard I'd say you might as well hold out for 10.6 (since you've come this far). But for no reason should you have the impression that Leopard is not awesome.

10. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

I think visually leopard is better looking than tiger. Haven't used tiger myself though but if your still using it then you may as well wait for Snow Leopard

11. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

These people that don't update their OS (when they can and should) I don't really understand. Same people also probably never run a software update in their lives.

Horses for courses really. If your machine's hardware is capable of running the latest OS optimally (i.e. significantly greater than the minimum sys reqs) then it makes sense to run it. In the past (if I'm buying OS retail instead of pre-installed on a new machine) I've usually held back until the first update is released, always too many buggy issues with the first seed. Only when the performance versus benefit equation starts to stack up in the negative, should you resist the urge.

Personally, I have a G4 PB running Leopard like a racehorse, a Mercury TiBook I've just got around to upgrading to Tiger from Panther (with no noticeable slowdown, in fact, slightly the opposite), and a G4 Cube that also runs Tiger perfectly. All of these machines have max RAM of course, and for all, they will be the last OS's they ever run.

Clearly, Snow Leopard will be the first Intel-only Mac OS.

12. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I am running Leopard on my iMac, simply because it came with it.

When I owned my Macbook Pro 17", I kept it on tiger, until it was sold. The PowerBook 12" that I am planning on purchasing at the end of this week, I plan on trying it out with leopard, but if it doesn't work out, I will push it back down to Tiger.

13. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

i've been using leopard on my 12" powerbook for the past year and it runs nicely. as i'm writing this, i am putting tiger back on my imac g4. leopard made my g4 a real pain to use and i noticed i never used it. the only thing i'll miss is time machine, but i could manually back up.

14. aaron11193 macrumors regular

aaron11193

Karumba/Cairns/Charters Towers, QLD, Australia
    I'm still on Tiger, but only because I have a 1999 iMac G3 :p

Installing OSX86 Leopard on my Toshiba Portege M200 soon ;)

15. darrenscerri macrumors regular

darrenscerri

We use Tiger on 2006 Mac Pros at work (for news editing). Very stable.

16. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

10.4.11 still. I'm on a Quicksilver so I've being putting it off for a long time now. If the rumours are true and Snow Leopard is really just for Intel Macs, I hope I can get a cheap copy of 10.5 before they all run out.

I'd only move to OS 10.5 to run Pro Tools LE 8.0 and seeing as I need more power, I don't know if a used Mac Mini or Refurb iMac at some stage would be a better option and just use whatever version it comes with. Any system in the last 2 years is going to come with at least 10.5.

17. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I've switched, but I can't get my colleague move over. TBH I think Tiger, despite being an awesome OS, has its own share of grumbles, and at least upgrading to leopard means that any niggles are more likely to get fixed.

18. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

I think users should do a cost-benefit analysis before upgrading ... even the "power users" who get a sense of pride with being an early adopter. If you blindly upgrade, then the mothership will take its user base for granted. No need to look further than the fiasco that is Vista to see what I mean.

mt

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

My late '06 MB (first of the C2D machines) came with Tiger, and I haven't upgraded it. I'll likely get the family pack of Snow Leopard when it comes out and update that and my iMac together.

20. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Still on Tiger here. My machines are fully capable of running Leopard, but why? There's nothing wrong with Tiger, it works well and has less bugs then Leopard. Don't fix what ain't broke.

21. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Still using Tiger on my iBook G4. I'm not going to upgrade because I'm planning on getting a new MacBook very soon anyway.

22. brianmonty macrumors newbie

I still have Tiger...
    For the same reason that I don't change the oil in my car every 3,000 miles like the guy at Jiffy Lube says I should (my owners manual recommends 5,000 miles).:D

Tiger is fine for me. I have been considering upgrading for the past couple months, but never pulled the trigger. Of course I would like the new bells and whistles with Leopard, and if it was free (or less then $50) I would probably upgrade.

By the way, I just got an e-mail offering Leopard for $99. It said because I am a MobileMe customer.

23. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

running tiger on my mini.

i have to say i prefer Leopard right now.

IMO it is 'prettier', streamlined and has a bunch of features i love (spaces anyone?).

buuut not about to shell out over 100$ to get an OS that's soon to be outdated.

24. aethelbert macrumors 601

I use 10.5 primarily, but my backup PowerBook is still on Panther!

25. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

At work all our Macs have Tiger (the one I use actually had Panther when I started - the first thing I did was put Tiger on it), there's just no reason to upgrade. But at home I must have Leopard, half the software I have now requires it. My PBG4 has Tiger though, I don't use it much and Leopard isn't officially supported.