Anyone still playing PS2? What games are you playing?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Rovias, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Rovias macrumors member

I've been reaping the benefits of everyone moving on to the 360/PS3 by snatching up some PS2 games on the cheap! Wondering if anyone else is doing the same thing.

I just finished Kingdom Hearts: RE:chain of Memories and I'm about to start Odin Sphere and Persona 4.

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I bought a PS2 several months ago because I got a non-backwards compatible PS3. I've mainly been playing GTA Vice City and God of War 1 and 2...started San Andreas but it was just...terrible!

3. Rovias thread starter macrumors member

I agree with you there. I liked Vice City much better than San Andreas. The whole 80s retro vibe just caught my interest more.

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Im 66 hours into Persona 4, and still stuck at 65 hours in Persona 3. So good... I still need to fire up Yakuza 2 but I'm a little stuck because I wanted to finish Yakuza first, but my save file got deleted. Argh!! I picked up Red Dead Revolver a while back and I have yet to open it!

5. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    Metal Gear Solid 1, Metal Gear Solid VR Missions, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance(thats the Limited Edition), Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (also the Limited Edition) These are the most common to be found in my PS2...

Really, just go to PS2.ign.com and take your pick from the large list of games that have been rated 9 and above. Don't waste your time with ****** games IMO.

6. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

been replaying MGS3, gran turismo, and wnning eleven soccer on my ps2.

but thats all about to change when i get my backwards compatible ps3! :D

7. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

I bought a Playstation 2 a couple of months ago, when the price dropped to $99. I am currently playing God of War, but also have the following games lined up to start playing once I finish it: God of War II, Devil May Cry 3 SE, Shadow of the Colossus, Final Fantasy XII, Dragon Quest VIII, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time and Kingdom Hearts II.

All great games from the previous generation that I missed, specially the RPGs :D

8. Donar macrumors 6502

Donar

I did not play any of my PS2 games lately, but i have some games here to replay when i finally finish the pile of PS3 games... and i will play them on my PS2 which is equipped with a Chip and HDD because of faster loading times.

My Games were already mentioned: GTA Vice City; God of War I+II and the MGS Series.

I just finished Killzone 2 on PS3 and liked it a lot, would Killzone for PS2 be a good investment?

9. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Still playing the Mega Man X Collection, which at the rate I'm going it's going to take me another year to beat Mega Man X3.

10. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I played it when I had a PS2 (I switched from that to the Xbox 360 a couple of years ago.)

I thought it was a good game, it was no Halo killer, but it was one of the best shooters on the PS 2 (not that they had a great deal of them.)

The graphics might turn you away since you played the ps3 version, but if you don't mind that it is worth the $10 is probably sells for used now.

11. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Best shooters on PS2:

Red Faction (1 is better than 2)
    Time Splitters (very underrated)
    Medal of Honor series (all but "Rising Run", which kind of sucked)
    Call of Duty series (Medal of Honor is still better though)

And don't forget SOCOM. 1-player is plenty of fun, I assume the multi-player servers are no longer up and running (been 6 or 7 years)

Killzone got a definite "meh" in my book.

12. Donar macrumors 6502

Donar

Grabbed the PS2 from the shelf i "exhibit" it on, installed Killzone on the HDD... seems like fun. But shooter's really look old if they are a generation behind. I never had that feeling when playing X-Com - Enemy Unknow :D

13. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

You ever play it on PC? Wow...one of my all time favorite games. Allied Assault and Spearhead expansion packs. :eek:

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

i'm still playing a couple of ps2 titles but on my ps3 (with Backwards Comp) does that still count ?

Rogue Galaxy is great...

15. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Yah people are still playing. PS2 game sales were higher than ps3 sales

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i love my ps2!!!!!

i play
    • all Dynasty Warriors (2,3,4,5 and everything in between, currently looking for 6 somewhere)
    • GTA ViceCity (best one) + San Andreas
    • Guitar Hero 2 + some wierd ones from Bali
    • Gran Torismo 3 & 4

+ heaps of others i cant remember :)

what.. huh...!??!?!?! i didnt know the PS3 was backwards compatible with older PS2 games?!?!?

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The first revision PS3's (NTSC USA) had full PS2 hardware built in..... Full compatibility...

They dropped PS2 support on the PS3 down to software emulation, about 6 months in to it's lifespan, and just after a year it was pretty much removed completely.... Especially in regions like Europe / Australia.

18. james2667 macrumors newbie

19. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

typical australia *sigh*... why would they get rid of support!?!? it wouldnt be hindering the performance of the machine in anyway... rediculous. they could have such a larger market!

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^^^^ $$$$ The almighty dollar or Yen!

Sony Corp (as a whole) has not been doing great business the last couple of years, and has lost some of it's marketshare and only last year were given some $750 million injection.

Every little $ saved, saves them in the end.

And despite ironically what 'Sony' were actually shouting about and cursing M$ for with the 360, that Backwards Compatibility is very important - ultimately they have proven by their own actions, that it's not.....

Much like all the kafuffle with 'FULL HD' importance, which is like :rolleyes: now....

21. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

that doesnt make any sense though.. if PS2 games were the highest selling then surely that would give them a nice bonus profit for the PS3! it would give many people a reason to buy the old 'classic' PS2 games! would also give me a reason to buy a ps3.

22. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

Kind of hectic, but both :)
    I am also glad I got the 60gb ps3 with full compatibility all the way back.
    I modded my ps3 to play burned ps2 games while im at my moms house, and at my dads house I use my ps2.

Yesh I am spoiled :)

I play KH1 and 2 and Re:COM, All of the GTA ps2 games (the tri pack one), Resident Evil 4 + code veronica and Gran Turismo 4.

And from time to time I play dbz bt2 and star wars battle front 2, lego star wars 1 and 2.

PS2 games for the win! The only system that still goes on and has had one of the best quality games ever. I also love how I can take my memory cards to my cousins and friends house and just start where i left off.

23. aaron11193 macrumors regular

aaron11193

Karumba/Cairns/Charters Towers, QLD, Australia
    PS2? I still play the N64.

Best. Console. Ever. :D

24. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Totally. Agree.

SSB... WOW :eek:

25. aaron11193 macrumors regular

aaron11193

Karumba/Cairns/Charters Towers, QLD, Australia
    +1 SSB is THE ****.

I still play it on my laptop :D Along with Conker's Bad Fur Day and Star Fox 64 :cool: