Anyone still rocking/happy with Early 2008 Penryn MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Jun 14, 2009.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 603

thadoggfather

That's what I'm sporting and trying to sell it to get a new unibody, but if i can't, I don't think it's too much of a burden to live with this machine, it's still quite nice

2. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I'm on the 2007 baseline 15inch - superb machine, even for playing the most recent games :eek:

I had AION running beautifully on this thing last weekend for example ;)

That aside, I rarely turn the machine off (because of constant downloading) and have had several re-installs on it, both Leopard and XP and Vista a couple of times. It gets used heavy as I need it daily to work from. On my second battery too.

I'm picking up a new MBP with a GT card in August but I really do not need it for anything. It will be another couple of years at least before I actually cannot run some of the new games that will come out that I'd like to play.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

is another thread of this nature really necessary?

4. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

I have mine still put just sold it in favor of the 2.53 refurb unibody mbp. it was a great computer but for $100 difference between what I sold the old one for and what the refurb cost it was an easy decision for me.

5. 173080 macrumors 6502

I'm very happy with my classic MBP actually. I think a unibody 15" MBP would be a downgrade in terms of screen and keyboard quality.

I couldn't stand the reflections on my Macbook Air, and that wasn't nearly as bad as the new glass screens. A screen is something I'm going to be looking at for most of the day so I'm not making any compromises here.

I'm not too fond of chiclet keyboards either, although I'm sure they're cheaper for Apple to manufacture.

I prefer the classic design, it's timeless. The unibody with the huge black bezel and black keyboard looks too much like a PC notebook.

I'd lose an ExpressCard slot and a FireWire port, which I do use. (FW800 for networking and FW400 for external HDDs).

I'd have to purchase and carry around an extra adapter to use the DVI out, which I use daily.

I would love to upgrade. I was actually eagerly waiting cash-in-hand. But I won't until Apple gives me something worthy of upgrading to.

6. TXBDan macrumors regular

I love my early '08 MBP and infact, i prefer it. I much prefer the matte screen. I like the silver keyboard. I think it looks nicer, cleaner. i prefer having a button near the trackpad for when running other OSes.

It runs like a champ (2.4ghz 4gigs of ram). I won't be selling this for years. Benefits of the first uMBP are essentionally cosmetic and the latest ones are just cosmetic+much better batteries. Same processor families, essentially the same GPUs. Not worth an upgrade in my book.

7. pik. macrumors 6502

pik.

173080 i love your signature!!!!!:D

I also think that the only Pro remained is the 17inch...:cool:

8. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

Just bought a 15" unibody this week, brand new. I wrote a review of it here.
    Sold it 4 days later and I'm not looking back.

Glass reflections drove me nuts. I had convinced myself that it wouldn't, and in the store it looked OK, but when I got home, it was just horrible. And I don't really mind glossy screens, but the glass is another whole level.

Battery life was better, but not nearly to the degree that I had anticipated. As a sanity check, I did the exact same test with my Dell Latitude that has a macbook pro screen (same panel as the older macbook pros), and it performed identically...3:45 or so surfing web at full brightness. But the new unibody has a 73 wh battery while my dell only has a 56 wh used battery. So I either got a faulty battery (I calibrated it, used it 7 cycles) or windows 7 has better power optimizatio or the 9400m is far from an integrated solution in terms of power consumption (my Dell has the intel 4500hd).

Keys felt clacky and toylike, like loose or something, esp. the space bar. This ended up bothering me alot.

While I appreciate the thinness, the byproduct of this, the overall 15" footprint, seemed unnaturally big. I felt like the bezel and glass were done in the name of looks and the footprint increased primarily b/c of this, not b/c of the extra thinness.

The trackpad wasn't as accurate as well b/c I typically rest my thumb on what used to be the trackpad button. Having two capacitive points of contact throws off the trackpad occasionally.

I will be hanging onto my penryn mbp with the matte screen.

Truth be told, if the keyboard had been less toylike--i really appreciate a good keyboard--I might have just paid $200 for the techrestore job and kept the thing.

9. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Nope, there is already THIS one

10. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

love mine. 2.5 ghz with 512mb vram. perfect machine

11. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

I saved you the trouble. I feel pretty much exactly like you do but I upgraded anyway. It's tempting, and I gave in. Don't even bother giving in. It is not worth it. I had to sell it for a slight loss.

12. John89 macrumors regular

Still have my baby :)
    Considered selling it for a uMBP, but decided to keep it after seeing they got rid of the ExpressCard slots :mad:
    I think an SSD and Snow Leopard will breath new life into my MBP. Cant wait!

The only thing that bothers me is the battery, its beginning to lose some power now. (Cycle count: 264, Full charge capacity: 4818 out of 5500)

13. flanders macrumors member

I'm rockin' a late 2006 17" MBP and it's keeping up just fine (much to my surprise too). It's the 2.16 CD x/ATI graphics. I've used the previous (early 2009) 15" MBP extensively and it's quite nice. I'm mostly a coder, so it feels just as fast as my 2009 MBP honestly. Just runs a little hotter :D It'll come in handy this winter I'm sure.

The screens on the classics (matte) are really incredible even compared to the new ones. After going back to the older ones, I can actually see the quality that used to be--not that the new ones are bad at all but I felt like something was missing that the older ones have (if I figure out what I'll let you all know.)

14. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

I'd hope there's many people who are happy with their early '08 MBP... It's only one year old! Call me crazy, but I keep my computers going as long as possible.

15. areusche macrumors regular

areusche

Nope :p

Still rockin my 15 in. It isn't like I'm not pushing it to the extreme though.