Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
Pretty much the thread title. I'm running 9.3.3 on my main iPhone (a standard 6s) with excellent battery life and performance (92% battery capacity, it has never been exchanged; I'm getting 8-9 hours of on-screen usage with light use, and 6-7 with high brightness and LTE, and heavier usage). Not much to say about performance, it's excellent with no bugs at all. App compatibility is still fine and however little I can't download doesn't bother me yet.
Anyone on iOS 9 on the 6s/6s+?

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Pretty much the title thread. I'm running 9.3.3 on my main iPhone (a standard 6s) with excellent battery life and performance (92% battery capacity, it has never been exchanged; I'm getting 8-9 hours of on-screen usage with light use, and 6-7 with high brightness and LTE, and heavier usage). Not much to say about performance, it's excellent with no bugs at all. App compatibility is still fine and however little I can't download doesn't bother me yet.
Yes.

I'm on iOS 9.0.2. iPhone 6s+ 128GB. Been three years. I jailbroke it in October 2015 and this is the longest I've ever been on a jailbreak. Absolutely zero issues with my phone. I get up at 5am and go to bed between 10 and 11pm. Usually have about 70-75% of battery left.

Keep in mind though that I'm not using my phone for games, streaming, etc. Light use (email, texts, calls).

My wife has a 6s and she is on iOS 9.0.1 and has also been jailbroken since October 2015. In her specific case I leverage her jailbreak to do things for her that Apple wouldn't normally allow and would thus be extremely frustrating for her to work around if stock.

Reactions: FeliApple

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
Yes.

I'm on iOS 9.0.2. iPhone 6s+ 128GB. Been three years. I jailbroke it in October 2015 and this is the longest I've ever been on a jailbreak. Absolutely zero issues with my phone. I get up at 5am and go to bed between 10 and 11pm. Usually have about 70-75% of battery left.

Keep in mind though that I'm not using my phone for games, streaming, etc. Light use (email, texts, calls).

My wife has a 6s and she is on iOS 9.0.1 and has also been jailbroken since October 2015. In her specific case I leverage her jailbreak to do things for her that Apple wouldn't normally allow and would thus be extremely frustrating for her to work around if stock.
If I could change anything about my phone, then it would be the size. I would love to have a 6s+ on iOS 9. I'd love that battery life. The battery life on my phone is excellent and far exceeds what I need on an average day, but it would be nice to have the plus. It's too late now, though. Anyway, on a standard day I finish with anywhere between 60-75% battery life.
70% on a non-updated plus would be around 4 hours of usage, which would get my standard 6s to 60%. So I'd venture we use the phones pretty similarly.
I'm not jailbroken, was never interested, but I can see that it has advantages.
I think you were the one who said that people offered to buy your phone. I certainly would. There aren't many left on iOS 9, and they work so well that I have no urge to replace or upgrade. I'm not a power user either.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If I could change anything about my phone, then it would be the size. I would love to have a 6s+ on iOS 9. I'd love that battery life. The battery life on my phone is excellent and far exceeds what I need on an average day, but it would be nice to have the plus. It's too late now, though. Anyway, on a standard day I finish with anywhere between 60-75% battery life.
70% on a non-updated plus would be around 4 hours of usage, which would get my standard 6s to 60%. So I'd venture we use the phones pretty similarly.
I'm not jailbroken, was never interested, but I can see that it has advantages.
I think you were the one who said that people offered to buy your phone. I certainly would. There aren't many left on iOS 9, and they work so well that I have no urge to replace or upgrade. I'm not a power user either.
Yeah, I've had a couple of offers. The kicker is that anything past iOS 6 has never been anything special for me. In a perfect world I'd have an iPhone SE in the size of the plus phones (or the XS Max) running iOS 6.1.

But Apple doesn't let me make the rules so too bad for me. :)

My son though is all about updating. He's got an SE, cares nothing for jailbreaking, and just shakes his head at me because I don't update. :D

P.S. My wife realized about a month or so after she got her 6s that she wanted a 6s+. By then it was too late, LOL!

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
Yeah, I've had a couple of offers. The kicker is that anything past iOS 6 has never been anything special for me. In a perfect world I'd have an iPhone SE in the size of the plus phones (or the XS Max) running iOS 6.1.

But Apple doesn't let me make the rules so too bad for me. :)

My son though is all about updating. He's got an SE, cares nothing for jailbreaking, and just shakes his head at me because I don't update. :D

P.S. My wife realized about a month or so after she got her 6s that she wanted a 6s+. By then it was too late, LOL!
I'm an iOS 6 fan too. Unfortunately, all I have left - that can even run iOS 6 - is an iPod Touch 5G running iOS 6.0 flawlessly. I love that one. It's my favourite Apple device.
Yeah, I'd just pick an iPhone XS Max running iOS 6 as my phone. Unfortunately, that will never happen.
I instruct every one I know not to update. Barely anyone listens. Then they're bitten and they come to me for help. "What iOS version are you running?" "iOS 11.4 on an iPhone 6+" "But I had told you to leave that one on iOS 9 when you had it there. I'm sorry. There's nothing you can do if your phone lasts three hours and performs horribly. Hopefully you'll learn next time".
My closest family members listened, but that's about it. The rest didn't.

Reactions: eyoungren

firewire9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2015
Thinking of going back to the old control center, limited iCloud management, the slowish animations, old App Sore, old Maps and old photos app makes me sick. I can’t understand how you guys could live in that.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thinking of going back to the old control center,
Well…I'm jailbroken.

My control center: 2018-09-22 16.34.58.png 2018-09-22 16.35.16.png 2018-09-22 16.35.23.png 2018-09-22 16.35.33.png 2018-09-22 16.35.39.png
limited iCloud management,
I use iCloud for backups and iMessage. That's it.

In 2012 when Apple wouldn't allow my iPhone 5 to sync with a PowerPC Mac, nor allow me to make contact changes from Entourage 2004 and push them to my iPhone 5, I had to find alternative methods.

I use Google. Not iCloud.

the slowish animations,
Hmmm… 2018-09-22 16.43.44.png 2018-09-22 16.43.54.png

old App Sore,
Yeah, no real problems here. Downgrades on tap…
2018-09-22 16.46.57.png

Why would I use Apple Maps when I can use Google Maps?

and old photos app makes me sick. I can’t understand how you guys could live in that.
Photoalbums+

Move images to an album, not just add.

2018-09-22 16.48.20.png 2018-09-22 16.47.35.png

Perhaps it's easier for you to understand when you realize I have over 200 jailbreak tweaks installed?

You'd think I'd run iOS without a jailbreak? Now THAT would be hard to understand!

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
Thinking of going back to the old control center, limited iCloud management, the slowish animations, old App Sore, old Maps and old photos app makes me sick. I can’t understand how you guys could live in that.
Never used newer iOS. All I'd like is a screen recording from the new versions. I don't use iCloud, I use google maps, and the photos app is good but nothing indispensable.
Well…I'm jailbroken.

My control center: View attachment 787070 View attachment 787071 View attachment 787072 View attachment 787073 View attachment 787074

I use iCloud for backups and iMessage. That's it.

In 2012 when Apple wouldn't allow my iPhone 5 to sync with a PowerPC Mac, nor allow me to make contact changes from Entourage 2004 and push them to my iPhone 5, I had to find alternative methods.

I use Google. Not iCloud.

Hmmm… View attachment 787083 View attachment 787084

Yeah, no real problems here. Downgrades on tap…
View attachment 787088

Why would I use Apple Maps when I can use Google Maps?

Photoalbums+

Move images to an album, not just add.

View attachment 787090 View attachment 787089

Perhaps it's easier for you to understand when you realize I have over 200 jailbreak tweaks installed?

You'd think I'd run iOS without a jailbreak? Now THAT would be hard to understand!
That's nice! I'm running stock iOS, but I do acknowledge that the setup you have is great!
You can downgrade apps?!!! That's so cool! And I love your control centre!

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Honestly I've had an iPhone 6s since shortly after release and I never looked back when I updated to iOS 10. iOS 9's pause between when you press on an app and when the animation actually starts was awful, it always felt very slow and sluggish to me. iOS 10 felt so fast and refreshing and I ended up updating while it was still in beta just to get away from the sluggishness of of iOS 9. Now if I had only known how terrible iOS 11 was going to be I would've stayed put on iOS 10... that was the best version of iOS on the 6s IMO (although iOS 12 is pretty close I think).

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
Honestly I've had an iPhone 6s since shortly after release and I never looked back when I updated to iOS 10. iOS 9's pause between when you press on an app and when the animation actually starts was awful, it always felt very slow and sluggish to me. iOS 10 felt so fast and refreshing and I ended up updating while it was still in beta just to get away from the sluggishness of of iOS 9. Now if I had only known how terrible iOS 11 was going to be I would've stayed put on iOS 10... that was the best version of iOS on the 6s IMO (although iOS 12 is pretty close I think).
A family member of mine uses a 6s on iOS 10, and it's flawless. Comparable to iOS 9. I never thought mine was sluggish, and I've been using it daily for two years, and that will not change.
But I would agree iOS 10 is at least equally good. It doesn't have slide to unlock, and the battery stats are inaccessible, but those are two small quirks I like of iOS 9, and they're irrelevant to the user experience.
[doublepost=1537662918][/doublepost]
You can still get $100 on Apple giveback program for a 6s. Just saying.
6s on iOS 9>7,8 on iOS 11/12. In my honest opinion.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That's nice! I'm running stock iOS, but I do acknowledge that the setup you have is great!
You can downgrade apps?!!! That's so cool! And I love your control centre!
Thanks, I like it. :)

Yes, with App Admin you can downgrade. But the version(s) you are presented with still have to be hosted by Apple on their servers. If the developer pulls a version you cannot downgrade to it.

You can also use it to block update notifications as well as blocking updates for specific apps if you wish.

http://cydia.saurik.com/package/com.unlimapps.uaupdatetools/

Reactions: FeliApple

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
My friend runs a store that buys, sells & trades smartphones & tablets. I can get pretty much anything.
I used to have dozens of rare iPhones, iPads & Android"s. I sold most of them.

I still have a space gray 64gig 6s+ on 9.3.1. It still has the plastic on it & has only 1 battery charge cycle.
I think it was an Apple Store white box replacement phone.

I use a space gray 16gig 6s on 9.0.1 (release day version). It was made in September 2015, but is brand new. It even qualifies for the free "6s battery replacement program" from Apple.
[doublepost=1537669889][/doublepost]
I bought 8 prepaid (AT&T locked) 32gig space gray SE's last Black Friday for $80 each.
Apple buyback gave me $120 for each one about 4 months ago (they still had plastic wrapping on them).

Then I sold the chargers, lightning cables & headphones (in sets) for $20 each to my friends cellphone store.

$480 profit was made.
That's really nice! Can't imagine what the battery life is that 6s+ is. Probably the same as my 7+ with a broken camera. I stopped using it because it has a broken camera and I use it (hence why I returned to the 6s), and I can't fix it, but I do miss the battery life of the 7+ sometimes. If my 6s gets 8 hours of use, the 7+ gets 11. The difference is more significant when comparing heavier usage (for example, high brightness outdoors). The standard 6s drops to 6/6.5 but the 7+ manages to get 10 (which is far more than I'd ever need).
This is also a fair comparison: both are on their original iOS versions and hence unaffected by the terrible impact on battery life of iOS updates.

nalerino bella nutella

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2017
Australia, NSW
Pretty much the thread title. I'm running 9.3.3 on my main iPhone (a standard 6s) with excellent battery life and performance (92% battery capacity, it has never been exchanged; I'm getting 8-9 hours of on-screen usage with light use, and 6-7 with high brightness and LTE, and heavier usage). Not much to say about performance, it's excellent with no bugs at all. App compatibility is still fine and however little I can't download doesn't bother me yet.

I'm on the 6s plus with 9.3.2. It works fine, might be a bit slow compared to the latest update but it still works how I want it to. I left this phone on the IOS 9 because I want to see what will happen to it in the future. Will I be forced to update the phone ? Who knows, but I'm looking forward to finding out. And I see no reason to update unless something bad happens and I'm forced to or something like that. Another reason I kept it on IOS 9 was because IOS 11 wasn't great and I didn't want to update it at the time. My family says I should update it, but if is unusable as a result of keeping on this IOS, then I won't be bummed because this is just an experiment to see how long it'll last. Also, it's just a phone. So I don't see the harm in this experiment....... Unless someone hacks this phone and steals all the information, but that's a different story.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Will I be forced to update the phone ? Who knows, but I'm looking forward to finding out.
I can tell you the answer to that right now. It's, no.

No, you won't be forced to update. Does Apple want you to, yes. Will they try to trick you into doing it, yes. Will they demand you update before servicing your phone, yes. Will they force you to though. No.

Only you can make that choice. One of two things will happen.

1. You will stop receiving updates. Every iPhone eventually stops receiving updates. iPhone 3GS stopped at iOS 6, the iPhone 4 at iOS 7, the 4s at iOS 9, the iPhone 5 at iOS 10. And so on.

or…

2. You will get so frustrated by not being able to use that ONE app you MUST or WANT to use that you will update the phone yourself so you can use it.

But the second option is your choice.

Apple won't force you.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I don't have a 6S running iOS 9 sadly. I do have an iPhone 5 that is running iOS 9 still (I got a load of iPhone 5 units from my friend and they all ran different versions) and it runs surprisingly well. The 5 never really became unusable.

I do have a 6S running iOS 10.1.1 though. I think iOS 9 is better than 10, but they are both good. Nowhere near the train wreck of iOS 11 and 12 design. If I could choose, I would probably downgrade the 6S to 9.3.5. Still runs smooth, but I am starting to get the 30% shutdowns. Luckily when I am out I can jumpstart it with my dock adapter which always stays in my pocket. I might hunt eBay for a 6S on iOS 9 someday. I almost got a rose gold SE on 9.3.5 for $90, but someone else got it first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.