Anyone still stuck at "Beginning Jailbreak, this may take a while"??

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by HeyGreggie, Jan 20, 2012.

1. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Is it something up with the servers or something? Exactly what can be done, and what did I do wrong? it shouldnt be stuck here for 20-25 minutes.

2. objectivecause macrumors regular

objectivecause

3. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Not sure why some people are having this issue. When I jailbroke it was stuck there for like 5mins but it did finally go through and worked.

4. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

i would start all over. should take over 5 minutes.

5. kalex macrumors 65816

how much data do u have on your device? that step is used to create a backup file so if your phone has alot of data then u have to wait

6. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Just jailbroke and it only took a few minutes. I got the establishing connection error when I ran absinthe on my 4S so I turned on VPN then got error and it rebooted and now I have cydia

7. theinfinitejest macrumors newbie

I runned in this problem too. Just restore but do not sincronize! Then try to JB, it should works. Sorry for the english.

8. Neeliosis macrumors regular

Neeliosis

Hm, I've been searching for a solution to this. I've tried this on two Macs already, and nada. I've left one running since 6:51 and it's still at "Beginning jailbreak, this may take a while...". I'm gonna wait till 8:30 and see if anything happens till then. I've restored my phone and everything too. I'm on a Hackintosh running 10.7.2.

9. lonman06 macrumors regular

Where is the backup file saved to? I had to exit since it was taking so long and now 7 gb of my space from that backup is gone and I can't seem to find it.

10. mattdo93, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012

mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

I'm stuck on it too...

EDIT: You shouldn't have to restore guys

11. Neeliosis macrumors regular

Neeliosis

Okay so an hour and 40 minutes later, it was the still stuck. I've restored, and it's still stuck. -_-

12. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

13. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

i had this problem after i restored with my 4s. if you restore just go through the setup process first and jb right after. should work fine

14. Illusiveman88 macrumors newbie

Hey so where did you download the file from? Did you happen to download it from greenpois0n.us? That website is a huge scam. I somehow got to that site and thought oh sites working now. I had the same situation and it ended up being a hardcore trojan. I'v already completely reformatted and lost everything...Thank god for time machine.

My suggestion...Wipe your computers. I'v jailbroken now with the proper file and everything happened in minutes.

15. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

I used the link from that site too but nothing bad happened and it just ended up like all the others. I'm trying to do a restore from backup and see if that'll work. The things I do to jailbreak.. -___-

16. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

i got it to work. backup. then go to settings and reset data and settings. it will erase everything. then jailbreak it. it works. then backup to ur old profile.

17. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

It works! Thanks alot dude :) It's a pain, but at least it works.

18. Fedora84 macrumors newbie

I registered just to post this:

If you're stuck at "Beginning Jailbreak", you might not have to delete all of your content! Just delete SOME, to make some space!

I initially tried to do the jailbreak with about 10 GB free, it was getting stuck, so I deleted a folder full of videos with about 13 GB and it immediately continued the jailbreak.

I don't know how MUCH space exactly you need, but clear up some space and it should help.

19. dayloon macrumors 6502

Mine hangs on "sending initial data" and eventually crashes saying absinthe.exe has stopped working

20. yamatitan macrumors member

I had 6GB free on mine and it worked flawlessly. I dont think thats a issue.

21. thepopnick, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

thepopnick macrumors newbie

Foolproof, clean jailbreak

After running into the same freeze in the jailbreak process over and over (beginning jailbreak, this may take a while), I looked around the internet and I saw that somebody found something in the Absinthe log about the program choking on large file sizes. As somebody with tons of media and games, I decided that my best bet was to just go for a factory restore, THEN jailbreak and THEN settings/content/media restore in that order.

It worked beautifully. My phone is now jailbroken AND identical to how it was 5 minutes before doing a factory restore. I have made a foolproof, step by step method on how to do this. All it takes is some time - because of the amount of data I had, it took me over an hour total. It is worth it, though -- and in my particular case (maybe yours too), it was my only option. For those of you who were able to jailbreak your iDevices without incident and without having to do a system restore - great! This isn't for you. This is for the rest of us.

You ready?

1. Using iTunes, backup your phone to your COMPUTER (NOT iCloud). You can restore your content and settings after jailbreaking and your phone will be identical to how it was, plus the jailbreak, because restoring your phone from a computer backup does not overwrite the firmware. If your backup is in iCloud, you can't access it at the right time in this process. This is the most important step if you want your phone to be exactly as it was before jailbreaking.

2. Using the iPhone, start the factory restore by going into settings/general/reset and selecting erase all content and settings. This will essentially make your phone brand new again.

3. Once factory restored it will guide you through the new phone setup. It will ask if you want to restore from an iCloud or computer backup - or if you want to setup a new phone. Pick "setup new phone." (Don't worry, the backup you made to iTunes isn't going anywhere.) Set it up normally with your preferences the way you want. If you normally use a passcode lock, don't activate it right now. Wait until after step 9.

4. Once the phone is functioning like new again and you're at the home screen, go ahead and jailbreak using Absinthe. Start the program on your computer, hook up your phone and follow the onscreen instructions. Everything should go relatively quickly and it should not hang at "beginning jailbreak, this may take a while," because apparently Absinthe makes a sort of copy of the content on your phone in the process of jail breaking and because the phone is new again, this will whiz by.

More detailed instructions on this process are here:
    http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=19462 for Mac
    http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=19468 for Windows

5. Finish the jailbreak according to the instructions (hit the absinthe button, phone reboots, cydia should be on your screen now).

6. Open Cydia, let it load the sources and packages. It may not load all sources right away. Don't panic. It took Cydia about 45 minutes to function as I remembered it. DO NOT start installing jailbroken apps until you restore your content.

7. Now, Attach your jailbroken phone to iTunes. It will think the phone is new, but will ask if you want to restore from a recent backup of your old phone. Choose the one you just made before the factory restore. Let the phone restore from that backup - it might take 15 minutes and your phone will be inaccessible.

8. Once restored, everything should be as you left it - contacts, mail, calendars, texts - except that now you are also jailbroken :D. Your media and apps will be downloading in the background. Don't worry, Angry Birds will remember your high score. Downloading all of your apps and music can take over 45 minutes alone, so just be patient. You can mess around in Cydia while you wait!

9. As your content slowly trickles back into your device, find the Cydia app, which should be working OK by now (if not, keep hitting "refresh" in the changes tab). It WILL eventually work so don't worry. Their servers are having a hard time keeping up with the recent influx of jailbreakers, I imagine. Start downloading jailbroken apps (I recommend starting with sbsettings and intelliscreenx) and enjoy! Remember, it will respring your device after each jailbroken app install. This won't affect your media and app downloads - they will just hiccup and resume.

REMEMBER: Backup your SHSH blobs using Tiny Umbrella as soon as you have the chance! I honestly don't even know exactly what that means, but it basically allows you to restore your phone back to a certain version of firmware if you need to (Apple doesn't allow downgrades). I've done this method on 3 phones now and I think it's the cleanest and most hassle free way to do it. Total time it takes is around 45 minutes. For those of you having Safari crashes - I found that the app Safari Download Manager was causing mine. Pay attention to what you download and if things start screwing up, remove them one by one in reverse til the problem goes away.

Here is a link to download Tiny Umbrella

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/