Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I have two, of which I use one nearly every day. The other is a hardware backup.
I have replaced the original Superdrive with a generic DVD burner, much faster than that original Superdrive, and use the eMac mostly for burning CD/DVDs. It's a reliable way to burn older OS X installer DVDS, and even use it to burn Windows 10 installer DVDs. I also use it for occasional testing of old software.
Has a small SSD, 128GB, I think. The old, slow ATA bus doesn't use that SSD to anywhere like full speed, but on that old eMac, there's better response, and some things get improved speed, such as the file transfer that has to happen during a CD burn.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Although it's not active at the moment, I use mine as a backup and testing ground machine. It was actually my first modern foray into PowerPC Macs. :)

The last model is essentially an AIO Power Mac G4, all for a great secondhand price nowadays. I highly recommend them, if they are to be used strictly for OS X.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
I have a 1.42GHz, but a couple of weeks ago I dug it out to see how it's doing and I get no picture on the CRT. :( But it DOES boot!

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I have one that needs recapped really bad and is a little smashed in the front from shipping when I got it. If it worked I would use it. I've always wanted one.

Not the same, but I do use a 1.5Ghz PowerBook G4 almost daily. Close in specs to the latest eMac.

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
I have two and use one on a regular basis, primarily for listening to music, surfing, watching DVDs, burning CDs and light image editing in Photoshop CS 2. Sometimes I even hook it up to an external monitor for using Excel and PowerPoint. All under OS X 10.5.8 and a fast and quiet SATA HDD. I quite like the machine and it does everything I ask it to do. Big bonus: that thing is near indestructible, I haven't always been nice to it and it still does the job with it's brilliant screen

Reactions: serpico007

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I bought a used one in very nice condition last year to use for OS 9 gaming/general messing around, still working fine but I only drag it out from storage when I want to use it for an older game/software that never works on Windows/OS X/Intel like Rapscallion, Mudwalker, Civ2 etc. since it is quite bulky. An eMac was the first Mac I ever owned, things are built like a tank and last forever in my experience.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2018
I have two, of which I use one nearly every day. The other is a hardware backup.
I have replaced the original Superdrive with a generic DVD burner, much faster than that original Superdrive, and use the eMac mostly for burning CD/DVDs. It's a reliable way to burn older OS X installer DVDS, and even use it to burn Windows 10 installer DVDs. I also use it for occasional testing of old software.
Has a small SSD, 128GB, I think. The old, slow ATA bus doesn't use that SSD to anywhere like full speed, but on that old eMac, there's better response, and some things get improved speed, such as the file transfer that has to happen during a CD burn.
These are still quite useful, even today for modern internet purposes and light video editing and the 1.42ghz can play Youtube

[doublepost=1564239446][/doublepost]
Maybe battle hardened to survive in the educational establishment ;)
I had a couple - the 1.42Ghz was a great machine, seemed to perform far better than you expect.
From what I've seen on these forums, the eMac is the untalked about PowerPC mac. It looks the best, in my opinion, and I like the AIO CRT design. Even the low end 800mhz model is quite useful even today, as seen in this video:
Some people just underestimate G4s... Older Android tablets and phones from 2011-2012 which some people still use are extremely painful to use as they are quite sluggish and extremely slow to load any webpage, and the G4 might be much older but it is still usable if you are patient

Reactions: serpico007 and z970

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2018
Maybe battle hardened to survive in the educational establishment ;)
I had a couple - the 1.42Ghz was a great machine, seemed to perform far better than you expect.
From what I read, the 1.25ghz eMac could overclock to 1.5ghz just fine... I'd overclock a 1.42 to 1.67ghz and give it similar performance to the fastest G4, the PBG4 1.67ghz.

Reactions: Project Alice

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I've had a bunch, but have kept two-a 700mhz and a 1.42ghz.

The 700mhz was my first PPC Mac, while the 1.42 is just nice to use. It's especially nice in that you get a great CRT in the AIO form factor with Core Image. I find it to be a better computer than the last model iMac G4, thanks both to its better cooling and better GPU.

Reactions: z970

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2018
I've had a bunch, but have kept two-a 700mhz and a 1.42ghz.

The 700mhz was my first PPC Mac, while the 1.42 is just nice to use. It's especially nice in that you get a great CRT in the AIO form factor with Core Image. I find it to be a better computer than the last model iMac G4, thanks both to its better cooling and better GPU.
Wouldnt 720p movies look really nice on the CRT? I love CRT All in ones

Last edited:

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Wouldnt 720p movies look really nice on the CRT? I love CRT All in ones
Not exactly eMac related, but I’ve got a 21” CRT studio display hooked up to a G5. I played a 1080p movie on it to see how it would look. The screen is set to the max of 1600x1200 @85hz.
It looks like I’m watching a 4K movie. Super beautiful picture.
I’d image an eMac’s display would be good too.

Reactions: serpico007

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Not exactly eMac related, but I’ve got a 21” CRT studio display hooked up to a G5. I played a 1080p movie on it to see how it would look. The screen is set to the max of 1600x1200 @85hz.
It looks like I’m watching a 4K movie. Super beautiful picture.
I’d image an eMac’s display would be good too.

Have you ever used the 17" ADC CRT?

It can do the same 1600x1200 resolution as the 21", and to my eye it's actually even more readable than the larger display.

To be fair, it COULD be that I have a bad/misaligned example of the 21". I'd like to have a blueberry one to go with my graphite one, but they are so big, heavy, and awkward that I haven't been a big hurry. I think mine has only moved a few feet since I initially brought it home and got it into place over 4 years ago.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Have you ever used the 17" ADC CRT?

It can do the same 1600x1200 resolution as the 21", and to my eye it's actually even more readable than the larger display.

To be fair, it COULD be that I have a bad/misaligned example of the 21". I'd like to have a blueberry one to go with my graphite one, but they are so big, heavy, and awkward that I haven't been a big hurry. I think mine has only moved a few feet since I initially brought it home and got it into place over 4 years ago.
No unfortunately. I’d love to have one though I wouldn’t get a lot of use out of it. None of the Macs I actually use have ADC. The aforementioned G5 has got a Geforce 6800 Ultra in it.

My 21” is a blueberry.
I also have a graphite 17” one, that up until this week was working great. Now it makes a clicking sound every 5 seconds and zooms in and out on the picture with each click. Before that, it was the brightest display I had and still looked very impressive.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
No unfortunately. I’d love to have one though I wouldn’t get a lot of use out of it. None of the Macs I actually use have ADC. The aforementioned G5 has got a Geforce 6800 Ultra in it.

Unfortunately too, you actually need to have ADC to make it work unless you find one of the rare 3rd party ADC adapters that will work with it.

The Apple A1006 won't pass the analog signals that the CRT needs, so is incompatible with it.

Reactions: Project Alice

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Unfortunately too, you actually need to have ADC to make it work unless you find one of the rare 3rd party ADC adapters that will work with it.

The Apple A1006 won't pass the analog signals that the CRT needs, so is incompatible with it.
Yeah, I know. That’s why I said I wouldn’t get much use out of one. I do have macs with ADC ports but they’re mostly just siting on shelves.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
I've got one too. Miss a colored case, the handle and native booting into os9 ...
Otherwise pretty fast and handsome machine.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I've got one too. Miss a colored case, the handle and native booting into os9 ...

You need a first or second gen one.

My 700mhz is a great OS 9 machine.

As a side note, somewhere or another along the way, there exists an eMac that both uses the Airport Extreme card and can natively boot into OS 9. It is the only computer where both of these options officially exist. It would have been nice if Apple had written Airport Extreme extensions to support these computers, which of course could have benefited a whole host of other computers also, but alas they didn't.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
I had one briefly, about eight years ago. After playing around with it for a week or so, I donated it to a restaurant that my friend owned, for an in-house surfing machine for his customers. Unfortunately, people kept spilling coffee on the keyboards, and he got tired of replacing them. I told him to sell it and keep the proceeds from the sale.

I wouldn't mind another one, though, to keep this time...

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
You need a first or second gen one.
My 700mhz is a great OS 9 machine.
As a side note, somewhere or another along the way, there exists an eMac that both uses the Airport Extreme card and can natively boot into OS 9. It is the only computer where both of these options officially exist. It would have been nice if Apple had written Airport Extreme extensions to support these computers, which of course could have benefited a whole host of other computers also, but alas they didn't.

Those colored bubble-iMacs happend to pop out of thin air all over the place. All hiding-places full...
I don't dare to look for the "blue Mauritius" of eMacs with os9- and AirPortExtreme-support, let alone any other eMac at all.
(but I'm currently dreaming in colors...: sage, ruby and (dalmatian)blue

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.