Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
Hey guys. I'm running 10.3.9 and can't wait for Leopard. I want to know if anyone is still using 10.3 besides me?

I use my PowerMac G5 daily. For web surfing and music. And some sites just don't load. (ex. Myspace). Do you think it's due to 10.3 or something else?

I don't want to upgrade to 10.5 if it's not going to make it run better. I'd rather buy a new Mac than upgrade the OS on the G5 if the overall application performance won't change.

Thanks in advance!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
One of the guys at work is running 10.3.9 as his primary OS. I use 10.4.10 on my main computer and 10.3.9 on my "spare".

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I use 10.3.9 on one of my three computers. the sitesw that don't load are probably because of your browser if you are using Safari update to somthing newer than the version of Safari for 10.3.x.

droo94

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
Yes. After reading the reviews of Tiger I just didn't feel it was worth the time and expense of upgrading. However, after I bought my PB with Panther, I later bought a Mac mini and an iMac for the family (both with Tiger) so now I've pre-ordered the Leopard family pack from Amazon.

I'm not sure if web browsing issues would be related to 10.3. The OP didn't specify which web browser, but I've been having a lot of browser crashes with Firefox lately -- Safari has been OK though. One issue I'm finding is that if you download a lot of free software, I've noticed for a while that quite a few of the downloads have been for Tiger only. So I guess it is possible that some browser plug-ins may not behave well in Panther.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
im running 10.3.9 on my old graphite imac mainly because it doesnt have the space on the HDD to be able to install 10.4, and im too lazy to buy another HDD. its still really really stable tho , it has been on for about the last month at least without a restart.

John Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
Columbia, MD
Yes. After reading the reviews of Tiger I just didn't feel it was worth the time and expense of upgrading.

Yeah, same here. But I'm buying Leopard for sure (especially now that a lot of the latest software requires Tiger or higher just to run). Just not sure how to go about it - buy the Leopard boxed CD set and wait for an Apple ultra-portable as a replacement for my PB12, or buy a Macbook Pro with Leopard pre-installed and stuff the ultraportable idea. :confused:

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
I'm still using Panther on an old B&W G3 I still have in service. I've run Tiger on it before, but it was much too slow. Panther runs much nicer within the 512MB that machine can handle.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
My parents were still using 10.3 on a 500 MHz iMac G3 until last week when they bought a 24" iMac. I switched them to my old iMac in February, and at that time, it had 10.0.3 on it, but I didn't feel comfortable giving them a Mac still running Mac OS 10.0.

I'm a ROb

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2007
Netherlands
I'm still using 10.3 on my iBook and untill last week I was completely fine with that. Then my new iMac with 10.4 arrived. Now I see what I've been missing...

Caezar

macrumors 6502
I am still using Panther on my Powerbook. I can't wait for Leopard release, as I just realized that the latest version of iLife and iWork (08) that I bought last week-end are not compatible with Panther.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.