Anyone still using a MDD???

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by craigsharp, Aug 2, 2008.

1. craigsharp macrumors regular

So, I currently have a white macbook with a 2.4 penryn. I am facing some financial problems and will be selling it, but I don't want to be without a mac. I've found a 1.42ghz MDD for 599 and was wondering if I will be dissapointed with the performance. I have a friend who used to have a 1.25ghz MDD a couple years ago and he used it for programming, web development, and video editing. I will be doing pretty much the same stuff, mainly photos and video though. Will i be able to use Final Cut Express and Aperture?

Thanks

2. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Aperture will not work with it. How much money could you possibly be saving yourself by selling your MacBook, then turning around and buying a 600 dollar machine; if I may ask? Wouldn't it make more sense to cut costs elsewhere?

3. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

There's a CPUHack for Aperture that let's it run... I've got it running on this 500 MHz G3, although I don't like it much, since... to be frank, Aperture sucks. Lightroom's loads better IMO, and ACDSee Pro is loads better than that (though it's Windows-only, AFAIK).

I think you could get it for cheaper than $599, though.

For $100 more, you can get a Core Duo 1.83 GHz iMac; significantly faster. http://www.macofalltrades.com/Apple_Intel_Core_Duo_1_83GHz_17_iMac_1_0_160GB_p/icd183im171.htm

If, for some reason, you have your heart set on an MDD, you can get it here for $500 http://www.macofalltrades.com/Apple_G4_1_42GHz_Dual_Processor_Mirrored_Door_p/g4142dp2.htm

4. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

If you've got $600 to spend I'm just about positive you can get a Powermac G5 for that. I got one that just needs a power supply for $200 yesterday. I will also echo what Benjamindaines says about saving money by getting a $600 machine. Depending on how heavily you use a computer, I would bet you could live with a dual 867MHz MDD for about $200 less if your needs aren't that extensive.

5. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Honestly, you're wasting your money. Keep the Macbook, and cut costs elsewhere. You're not going to be happy with the MDD, I'm looking to get one for a server, but they can't handle new software, and are quickly loosing their usefulness. Remember, you won't be able to run Snow Leopard on a MDD or any PPC Mac.

Don

6. m1stake macrumors 68000

He says about a computer that's twice the speed and double the cores compared to the one I own. :(

7. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I'm not saying that they are bad computers, they still have their uses, but you can't run modern software on the (Aperture, parts of iLife 08, and dare I say it you can't run windows on it). Like I said above, I'm trying to get one to turn into a home server, but I personally think that they are still to expensive for what they can do nowadays. I just don't think that it is a good idea to downgrade.

Don

8. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

You can get an early Intel iMac for around $600, and it completely blows a PowerMac G4 out of the proverbial water.

9. craigsharp thread starter macrumors regular

I'm familiar with the speed at least from what I remember. I used to have a 12" Powerbook w/ 1.33ghz g4 768mb. ran perfectly fine for most of my uses. then started getting kernel panics about the video card and finally one day up and quit totally. Home owners sent a check for 1700 so I bought my macbook when the new penryns came out and have been super happy so far. My only complaint is that where the top of the screen bezel meets the palm rest, it is cracked. I know I can call apple and they can fix it or replace it. I guess i'd have to do that b4 I sold it. Also, I had gotten a quote to get my PB fixed, Apple quoted me at 380 I think for a Logic Board replacement. Does that sound about right? I think i'd rather have a laptop come to think of it. I may just get that fixed, I dunno.

What ya'll think?

10. m1stake macrumors 68000

Yes, logic boards are expensive.

I would NOT buy a G4 at this point. A G5 would work, but personally I wouldn't settle for anything less than an Intel Mac of some sort. The G4 (See sig, also has the stock GeForce 2MX) isn't good for much these days. iTunes movies are choppy, it doesn't play nice with Flash sites or anything with a lot of images. I myself will be getting rid of mine in January.

11. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I have a 2x1GHz MDD that I use as a media server, but as soon as I get my Mac Pro, she'll be retired.

In terms of performance, she was lagging behind my Core Duo MacBook, to say nothing of my Core2 Duo MacBook Pro or iMac.

12. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Why not get a Mac Mini C2D? I'm sure you can find one for a lot less then $600 and not really take a big hit on performance.

13. emegmac macrumors regular

I recently bought a 1.25 MDD on craigslist for 150.00 with a monitor. I am using it as a second computer, mostly a media server. I love it for all the basic stuff. I upgraded the ram to 2 gigs from 256 megs, again buying off of craigslist for 25 dollars. It surfs the internet very well, I can kook up all my hard drives keep all my backups on it. I have tried to use it for handbrake though and it is to slow to use. I think 600 is way to high to pay though. For 150, I think it was a great deal.

14. craigsharp thread starter macrumors regular

I guess i'm just trying to justify owning one of apple's great machines. I really probably don't need it though.