Anyone still using am iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elaniemay, May 9, 2015.

1. elaniemay, May 9, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015

elaniemay macrumors 6502

elaniemay

I am currently using the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 as my main phone. I loved the Note 2, but already hate this version and plan to get the new iPhone when it is released later this year. I have my old iPhone 4 that I am considering switching to for the time being. I am on the AT&T Next program,so selling my current phone and purchasing an iPhone is not an option. I can get by with my Note, I'm just not wanting to, if I don't have to.

Does anyone have an iPhone 4 and how do you think it's working for you lately? The one I have is running an older version of iOS, obviously, but I am not sure which. Should I leave it at that, if I do switch back to it, or try upgrading to the latest version of iOS? Am I better off just dealing with my current phone for another five months?

2. stevemiller macrumors 65832

Curious what you hate about note 4 compared to note 3? Ive mostly only heard good things about it, and can't imagine it being more of a headache than an almost 5 year old phone with a screen half the size what you've become used to.

And I say this as a person who still prefers the 3.5-4" screen.

3. elaniemay thread starter macrumors 6502

elaniemay

Mine is lagging terribly, reboots randomly, doesn't receive all text messages, and multiple apps randomly shut down. I have deleted all photos but maybe 40 and deleted all apps except a handful I use all the time. No improvement. My note 2 was a rockstar for two years and this one just isn't.

I just realized I put that I had a note 3 prior, but it was a note 2.

4. DaveMcM76 macrumors regular

DaveMcM76

I'm not using one personally but my dad is still using my old iPhone 4 as his only phone and while he is hardly a power user as he's now in his 70s he also hasn't reported any issues with it and he normally likes a good moan if something doesn't worki :)

My mum was also using it for 2 years before him with no reported issues as she had it off me when I got my iPhone 5, and it then got passed to my dad when i upgraded to my 6 and my mum now has my 5.

It will be running whatever the latest supported iOS is - 7.1.2 if memory serves.

5. nordique macrumors 6502a

I have an iPhone 4 which I use regularly, however it is on iOS 5.1.1 and works fine. I usually get a good 6 hours of battery life with the phone, lasts me a day easy with light-medium use

That said, the app compatibility is bad and facetime doesn't work

I tried upgrading to ios 7.1.2 but it was too slow for me and I felt the battery life was worse with it (3-4 hours).

6. mhdena macrumors 6502

Every AT&T 4 owner should have taken advantage of the $200 trade-in offer while it lasted. An iphone 6 64gb on contract would have been net $167.

7. srshaw macrumors 6502

I use my old iphone 4 when running or cycling. My 6+ is a bit big to carry, plus if I get my old iphone wet i'll not get too stressed.

8. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's slower, but not a brick.

----------

Plus the subsidy built into the monthly cost over the 24 month contract period.

10. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

It's definitely a brick. A 99$ android phone is ten times faster.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like a fairly non-brick definition of brick is being used there.

12. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

Take your note 4, update it to the latest software, do a factory reset, bam, good as new.

13. elaniemay thread starter macrumors 6502

elaniemay

I have been using the iPhone 4S (I thought it was a 4, but it's not) with the current 8.3 and it has been working great (using in WiFi as an iPod), except the battery dies at 25% for some reason. I read that it may just be that I need a new battery, so I am going to try to get that replaced and see how it goes. It works better than my Note 4, so if I can manage to get the battery issue fixed, I will hopefully be good to go until the next iPhone release.

14. RRuxin macrumors newbie

My work supplied phone is a 4S. I just have it forwarded to my personal 6 Plus so I don't have to use it. After having a 5.5" screen the 4S is almost unusable. How spoiled we have become......

15. elaniemay thread starter macrumors 6502

elaniemay

I agree with you; I miss the screen of my Note 4 and I haven't even made the complete switch back to the 4S yet! That said, I am sick of not getting all my messages, the random rebooting, apps shutting down for no reason, and sluggishness of my Note. I am trying to tell myself that going back to the 4S will just make the next iPhone seem even more amazing.

I am on the fence with what to do. I'm going to get the battery replaced and see how it functions after that and then make a decision.

16. Psyfuzz macrumors 6502

Psyfuzz

Still rocking the 4, it's slow on iOS7 but useable.

Outside of basic functions like texting, calling and music it's redundant though - the camera sucks, the app choice sucks and the connectivity speeds suck.

One day I'll replace it, one day.

17. Allin44 macrumors 6502

I'm still using a 4s until my stupid 3 year contract runs out this August. Counting down the days until I can upgrade to a 6s Plus, or whatever they decide to call it. I've more than had enough of tiny screens.